I am looking for a forum dedicated to exercise on this site..I have searched and searched no....luck

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Reactions: Goonergal

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the link,
I'll go check it out immediately.
I recently started lifting weights and want to know how others are getting on with exercise and all.

Thanks a million...This is awesome, I'll dive straight in:D
For future reference if you need any other forums, all I did was look down the list of forums, it took about 3 seconds.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Weights - @therower, @Sean01 @IronLioness oh and me a little bit. What are your questions @brassyblonde900 ?
Thanks for the member suggestions.
I am a newbie to weights and would love to know how other members with experience are getting on with it.
I love real life/world info, especially when its esoteric -(re diabetes)
@Mr_Pot and @Goonergal have also very kindly provided links,
I am so excited.:happy::joyful::D (Prolly all that dopamine:hilarious:)
My 2hr PP reading this evening is the lowest I have ever seen.
Well and truly chuffed +Motivated
To think I ran away from/hid from/avoided- weights till now.
cheers.

Reactions: ickihun
M

Member496333

I’ve been lifting weights for a while now and I firmly believe it’s the best form of exercise for people who are “metabolically challenged”. Not only does it deplete muscle glycogen but muscle tissue also seems to be a glucose sponge. Muscle even sucks up glucose when you’re idle, so the more lean mass the better. It’s further stabilised my blood glucose control to the point of a virtual flatline 24/7.

It’s taking a very long time to get buff, but I’m seeing small improvements , and I’m definitely getting stronger. Additionally, the imcreased use of amino acids needed for repairing tissue has allowed me to eat even more bacon with no upward DP trend. Win win win!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Weights are far more fun than cardio for me. It's probably going to be a matter of getting a good induction so you know what you are doing and then setting goals.
I find that weights lower my levels initially but then I get a steady rise after.

Reactions: gemma_T1

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I’ve been lifting weights for a while now and I firmly believe it’s the best form of exercise for people who are “metabolically challenged”. Not only does it deplete muscle glycogen but muscle tissue also seems to be a glucose sponge. Muscle even sucks up glucose when you’re idle, so the more lean mass the better. It’s further stabilised my blood glucose control to the point of a virtual flatline 24/7.

It’s taking a very long time to get buff, but I’m seeing small improvements , and I’m definitely getting stronger. Additionally, the imcreased use of amino acids needed for repairing tissue has allowed me to eat even more bacon with no upward DP trend. Win win win!
Agree totally, lower fbg and post prandial, more bang for buck than just cardio.

M

Member496333

Agree totally, lower fbg and post prandial, more bang for buck than just cardio.

Yup. I still do a lot of brisk walking, mainly because it’s good for the mind and the soul to be wandering around outdoors taking-in nature and getting some sunshine, but when it comes to rock-solid stable blood glucose, nothing comes close to mild weight training. For me it’s been the silver bullet that has put my diabetes well and truly in the rear view mirror struggling to keep up.

Never felt more positive :D

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have also just started - at a tiny local gym that targeted me on social media for their 'Fit after 40' (only just!) programme, which is basically mostly weights training. It's half an hour classes, three times a week, scaled to challenge your abilities, so they take note of what you've done/personal bests and I've done a month so far. Very impressed.

Reactions: Mbaker and jjraak

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I am a newbie to weights and would love to know how other members with experience are getting on with it.
cheers.
Weights and gym were a life saver, literally. Have been a gym bunny for 15yrs and a consistent iron maiden () for the past 3 but my diet was messed up and as they say, you can't out train a bad diet. I was diagnosed T2 on 4th Oct. Total wake up call. I have completely changed my whole life around - diet is now on point, working to 100g of carbs a day, no dodgy food and no cheat days. At all. I haven't touched chocolate nor sweets nor crisps nor fast food nor any calorie laden snacks since the day before diagnosis. I lift heavy weights, but I also do a heck of a lot of cardio too. Twice a day. My body has retained its strength and through the good advice of all the folks on these pages I've found a new healthy lifestyle and a workout routine which is building strength by lifting but working on less carbs and higher protein. Check out Diabetic Muscle and Fitness group on FB, too. Phil Graham heads it and although he's type 1 there's a good mix on there and the weight lifting advice is good.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Diakat .
@brassyblonde900 . Some great advice already and I see from another post that you are already reaping the benefits of starting a workout routine.
The single most important thing I will offer is that you ENJOY yourself.
The best training programme is the one that suits you at that present moment. Vary how you train on a regular basis ( make changes, if only small, every 6/8 weeks )
If at the end of a workout you’re planning the next workout then chances are you’re doing just fine.:)

Reactions: Diakat

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cheers.

@brassyblonde900 I do weights too and really enjoying it. Just a beginner but seeing results. @johnpol and @kev-w are a count of knowledge on the topic

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@brassyblonde900 if you have just recently started lifting in a few more weeks the benefits will really start to kick in. It's been suggested that the effects last for 24hrs after a good weights session, both for utilising the glucose in the blood/muscle and also any fat burning properties, so its a winner. As far as your training goes stick to the basics for a few weeks, like upper body one day, lower body the next session, rep range in the 10-15 range and lowish weights. as you get stronger and get more experience change the routines to body part specific, eg: Chest and biceps, Back and shoulders, legs and triceps. But above all enjoy it, I've trained with weights all my time diagnosed and it helps control your BS. Feel free to ask away.

Take care

Reactions: Member496333

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you @Diakat .
@brassyblonde900 . Some great advice already and I see from another post that you are already reaping the benefits of starting a workout routine.
The single most important thing I will offer is that you ENJOY yourself.
The best training programme is the one that suits you at that present moment. Vary how you train on a regular basis ( make changes, if only small, every 6/8 weeks )
If at the end of a workout you’re planning the next workout then chances are you’re doing just fine.:)
Depends, if you are aType A personality then add in compound exercises - push, pull and squat. Barbell deadlifts, Barbell squats, Barbell rows, shoulder presses, leg raises, leg presses, lat pull downs, bench presses and bicep curls. If you are looking to deplete glycogen stores, this will get you there quicker than cardio.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mbaker .
I think for anyone new to using weights then compounds are the way to go. If only to be the starting block for different types of weights workouts.
In this instance on this thread I would just like to stress the importance of obtaining professional one 2 one instruction on how to perform compound exercises. The internet is not the place to learn how to deadlift.
I’ve observed far to many people ( young ish guys ) stroll in to a gym and start doing bench presses, deadlifts etc with no idea whatsoever of body posture or form.
As long as it’s heavy it’s gotta be good is the only mantra they know.
Compound programme would definitely be an option for the OP but only with proper tuition.

Unfortunately I have to disagree with you on one point. Bicep curls.....compound exercise? Bicep curls alone are a T- shirt exercise.:)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Mbaker .
I think for anyone new to using weights then compounds are the way to go. If only to be the starting block for different types of weights workouts.
In this instance on this thread I would just like to stress the importance of obtaining professional one 2 one instruction on how to perform compound exercises. The internet is not the place to learn how to deadlift.
I’ve observed far to many people ( young ish guys ) stroll in to a gym and start doing bench presses, deadlifts etc with no idea whatsoever of body posture or form.
As long as it’s heavy it’s gotta be good is the only mantra they know.
Compound programme would definitely be an option for the OP but only with proper tuition.

Unfortunately I have to disagree with you on one point. Bicep curls.....compound exercise? Bicep curls alone are a T- shirt exercise.:)
Yes, all great points, in other posts I stress form over everything else, as you want to be able to do the same next week and so on. I would normally do bicep curls in a 3 of squat to stand, bicep curl, shoulder press, I have also in the past added a front and back lung and whilst on the lung a bicep curl. As I have a wrist injury I am stuck with band hammer curls at the moment in isolation. But my primary thrust is the lower body and back muscles. Just doing 2 home sets last night brought me an fbg of 4.2, it is early days and I hope this continues without variation, but as you know, you can identify differences in response when you get your lifestyle habits dialed in.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mbaker . Sounds like a good routine there. Like the idea of moving the blood/ oxygen requirements throughout the body in a short space of time.
Not to long ago I was doing a 10 exercise, 10 rep , 10 minute routine. Gruelling but fun. The way it was structured made it doable but quite demanding.
Have to admit that nowadays I steer away from the heavy weights. Age, old joints especially, shoulders make for a longer than acceptable recovery time required :banghead:
Much prefer HIIT and Tabata training nowadays. Heart and lungs over pecs and bi’s:):):)