Apparently Im dumb

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly @Bluetit1802 ! I should also criticise myself for actually eating them when I know what will happen! I tell myself it's only once a week! My mum controls her T2D through meds, whereas I'm trying to do it by diet. I'm newly diagnosed.

Do you test before and after those potatoes? It would be a good idea to do that, and then you can show your mum the results. Perhaps only eat one or two of them?

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 - yes, I do test. However I'm not there when I do the post meal test. This week I had about half a dozen chips and went from 5.something to 11.6. She had to try low carb in a study she was on and it didn't work for her, so she's not convinced. She just thinks I need to go with My HBA1C. That was 48 at the beginning of Nov and I go back for another one in Feb, so hopefully by having cut out most carbs other than tea at my mum's, it'll reduce!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 - yes, I do test. However I'm not there when I do the post meal test. This week I had about half a dozen chips and went from 5.something to 11.6. She had to try low carb in a study she was on and it didn't work for her, so she's not convinced. She just thinks I need to go with My HBA1C. That was 48 at the beginning of Nov and I go back for another one in Feb, so hopefully by having cut out most carbs other than tea at my mum's, it'll reduce!

I hope so too. Fingers crossed.

Gran25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Join the dummies class! We seem to be managing just fine here despite all the bad advice we are given. The meter is your best friend as you learn what works for you. I also kept a chart on my laptop with the numbers, weight etc and made notes re. what worked/didn't work for me. Because over time you forget if you don't keep track and over time you see what progress you are making and that is so inspiring especially if you have a bad day or week. Good luck!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are definitely NOT wrong. A meter and testing is our best tool to combat this disease, providing you learn from what you see. Your mum is the one that is wrong. It is not why the doctor won't give you a meter. He won't give you one because of the financial restraints in the NHS. Doctors won't tell you that of course, they have a variety of excuses. You are the one living with this disease, so it is your choice, and yours alone.

Carry on testing your meals before and 2 hours after first bite, keep a food diary and record your levels alongside the food eaten. You can learn from this. The aim is to keep the rise from before to after as low as possible, and definitely no more than 2mmol/l - preferably a lot less.
I have only been deemed eligible to get a Libre funded today. I have two training sessions to go to, I think the 2nd one is when I will get the sensors, and the first one is just more basics and I don't think I'll get anything. Oh man, I haven't used a Libre since 2016. It's the prices that are just so high. I wonder whether I'll be supplied a reader, despite already having one.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only been deemed eligible to get a Libre funded today. I have two training sessions to go to, I think the 2nd one is when I will get the sensors, and the first one is just more basics and I don't think I'll get anything. Oh man, I haven't used a Libre since 2016. It's the prices that are just so high. I wonder whether I'll be supplied a reader, despite already having one.

Good luck with your training sessions and fingers crossed you can have them prescribed.