Christmas

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't drink, but shall be eating and being merry with the rest of them. I figure that everyone else can have a drink hangover, I'll have a food hangover... and I'm just fine with that!

D

Deleted member 308541

We will have the same as last year. A barbecue in the back yard with fish, mud crabs, prawns and salads for lunch.

Then for dinner, just cold meat ham and chicken and left over salad and seafood.

Reactions: Chook

bluecurlylegend

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Films with Nicholas Cage !
OK, that's Christmas and New Year sorted.

What are we going to do for Easter ? Any suggestions for replacing Cadbury Crème Eggs ?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm planning on relaxing a little on Christmas Day. I had been diagnosed last Christmas but at that point had no meter and had not gone fully low carb so this year will be the first proper Christmas since diagnosis.

I don't like a lot of the traditional Christmas things including mince pies, Christmas cake and Christmas pudding so not eating those is no challenge at all. Potatoes are likely to be my biggest downfall along with crackers with cheese in the evening. We go to my Dad's wife's mother's house on Christmas Day so there is an element of fitting in and fewer low carb alternatives. For the rest of the holiday while I'm at my dads, I'll do a food order so that the foods I prefer are available (my dad has early stage dementia so expecting him to get his head around LCHF is not really fair).

bluecurlylegend

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Films with Nicholas Cage !

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Once a year bang the insulin in and eat the lot emmmmmmmm

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I stick to my food plan ..having my customary yoghurt after my main meal ..nevertheless happy that those around me tuck in their ✻Xmas fare✻

But I have a dark side to my personality ..when I see another diabetic, particularly on a ✻diet, exercise & tablets✻ regimen thinking they're clever breaking the unwritten-rules I don't like it. I don't say anything, but I definitely don't like it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, that's Christmas and New Year sorted.

What are we going to do for Easter ? Any suggestions for replacing Cadbury Crème Eggs ?

Easter? I was diagnosed in the mid 1970's.. Remember those Easter eggs that came cradled in a tea mug??
Well... I always got themed socks in a mug.... Normally the theme of the sock didn't tie in with the glazing on the receptacle..

.... I also felt that one of my sisters was probably tucking into the egg that should have come with the cup?
It's the gift that keeps on giving!

D

Deleted member 308541

Fruit mince pies for xmas have been on sale in our major food stores for the last couple of days, same goes for trees and decorations. :meh:

Easter eggs and hot x buns go on sale boxing day... :***:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fruit mince pies for xmas have been on sale in our major food stores for the last couple of days, same goes for trees and decorations. :meh:

Easter eggs and hot x buns go on sale boxing day... :***:

I used to work in food retail... The expiry date on the "early" mince pies was normally dated the end of October!?! :wacky:

Reactions: dbr10

Parisemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, it's not that far off that time of year. How do you guys manage at Christmas time? I must admit I find it rather daunting just eating turkey and veg on Christmas day. What do you do about buffets at Christmas?. I know that we can have cold meats cheese.prawns, salmon etc. I have decided to have my proper roast dinner one day a year with potatoes lol.. How about you lovely people?
I guess it depends if your type 1 or 2 ? For type 1 it's easier if you overdo it a little you can balance it out with a couple of units of insulin. Low carbon I guess is harder. I never eat buffet as some people do not wash their hands, pick food up change their minds and put it back. NO, NO, NO not for me thanks, I take my own food.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I guess it depends if your type 1 or 2 ? For type 1 it's easier if you overdo it a little you can balance it out with a couple of units of insulin. Low carbon I guess is harder. I never eat buffet as some people do not wash their hands, pick food up change their minds and put it back. NO, NO, NO not for me thanks, I take my own food.
This was over a year ago...Have come a long way since then lol..The buffet would of just been for my 2 sons and my husband and I.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was playing at a Christmas party last night, had ham and salad and berries - then later on was tempted by what I thought was going to be a strawberry something - it was not-butter lots of sugar creme and sugary sponge - I actually threw it in the bin it was so disgusting, and needed a drink of squash to get rid of the taste.
The foods 'safe' for a type two like me are the good ones.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Easter? I was diagnosed in the mid 1970's.. Remember those Easter eggs that came cradled in a tea mug??
Well... I always got themed socks in a mug.... Normally the theme of the sock didn't tie in with the glazing on the receptacle..

.... I also felt that one of my sisters was probably tucking into the egg that should have come with the cup?
It's the gift that keeps on giving!

It was a great idea by your parents, though. Sisters eh? Pfft!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, thread revisited. Brought out of the loft with the deccies? :D

My attitude remains Bah humbug, grinchy. I have, however, discovered that my aged body can now tolerate well red wine and spirits. I still won't be overindulging, though. I prefer feeling well and alert, rather than slumped in armchair.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was a great idea by your parents, though. Sisters eh? Pfft!

Lol, yeah it was really. But the socks tended to be Disney style with Winnie the Pooh doing something un bear like in a red tee?
I hated the creature. He always spoke like Woody Allen with his head in a bucket?
Years later after a discussion over the matter where my mum said "but you like Pooh." I owned up that I didn't & never liked Pooh, or any of his little mates for that matter..
I own so many socks & mugs it had to stop. ;)

My sisters were alright. :):cool:
We're down with my sisters & mum this coming Christmas. There's plenty of assorted meats to pick at..

Reactions: Pipp and Guzzler