Hba1c 4.6... From 6.8, Am I diabetic or not??

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed three months ago with Hba1c6.8 and c- peptide 5.2, as a type 2 diabetic. I am male 27, height 165 cm.

Weight at the time of diagnosis was 75kg now reduced to 68 kg..
Immediately after diagnosis i made good lifestyle changes... Started to read a lot about diabetes on Internet

..no meds, Started low carb diet, completely avoided all forms of suger, refined carbs, fruits, starchy vegetables, n packeged n junk foods.
N started brisk walking 4 to 6 kms everyday.
i was consuming 120 to 140 gms carbs, 80 to 110 gms of good fat and 50 to 80 gms of protein everyday.
Regularly started monitoring bgs on glucometer. N based on all glucometer readings I estimated my Hba1c to be 5.8.(use accu chek active glucometer) But surprisingly my latest Hba1c was 4.6.
I was doubtful about lab accuracy. So i did full blood work from another lab. Still again Hba1c was 4.6.
fasting 72 n pp 99.
And all other reports lipids, hemoglobin, thyroid function, kidney function, everything was normal.
Now my doc says i am not diabetic or was misdiagnosed.

What do you people think was i never diabetic, or am i just good controlled???

Thank u

Reactions: Prem51

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Welcome
That is hard to answer. Why do you not believe your doctor? Most would be over joyed to not be D.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @sumitrocks2009 and welcome to the forum. An HbA1c reading of 6.8 would not have been in the pre-diabetic or diabetic range. Pre-diabetes starts at 7. You would have been in the non-diabetic (normal) range.

Tamanna

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @sumitrocks2009 and welcome to the forum. An HbA1c reading of 6.8 would not have been in the pre-diabetic or diabetic range. Pre-diabetes starts at 7. You would have been in the non-diabetic (normal) range.

My HBA1C is 6.8 and dr said that i am diabetic but here you are telling 6.8 is normal range ? Am confuse .

Reactions: jacko1970s
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My HBA1C is 6.8 and dr said that i am diabetic but here you are telling 6.8 is normal range ? Am confuse .
This conversion chart suggests that an Hba1c of 6.8 is an IFCC of 50.8 which is in the diabetic range.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

My opinion is that you have had a brush with diabetes and your regime change is controlling it. I would recommend that you continue to take care or you may go back into the diabetic range.

FUD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is also the ‘honeymoon’ period to consider. Some people’s pancreas kick back into action for a few months before ‘giving up’ or producing much less insulin than required.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Apologies @Tamanna , I think I was going by the '50 shades of diabetes' chart. 6.8 is in the diabetic range.

Last edited:
Reactions: jacko1970s

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you done a glucose tolerance test? Hba1c doesnt tell the whole story if you have been low carbing as have increased your physical activity

M

Member496333

Old thread I know, but anyway.

Diabetes is characterised and diagnosed by too much glucose in the body. If you have no symptoms, don’t have too much glucose in the body and aren’t using medications, you’re not diabetic. You may still be glucose intolerant, but that’s a different matter, and is the reason you became diabetic originally, not diabetes itself. If you don’t put too much glucose into your body then the diabetes won’t return.

Humans aren’t obliged to eat glucose. The body makes its own. There is no biological requirement to ingest carbohydrate. What society calls “normal” is of little clinical consequence. If you don’t have hyperglycaemia or hyperinsulinemia, the latter being unlikely without the former if you previously had diabetes, then a doctor would not make a new diagnosis of diabetes, regardless of what he or she might think of your dietary habits.

All only in my humble opinion :D

Last edited by a moderator: