How many Hypos

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think there seems to be a certain amount of judgement on this thread.

Hypos are a nasty part of Medically controlled diabetes. Some people have many, some are fortunate to have few. We are all different. I can be pootling along controlled beautifully, then trip down to low levels without doing anything different in my daily management. We should be supporting, not judging people living with this unpredictable grind of a disease. You may be lucky to have only the odd hypo, be proud not judgemental, things can turn on a sixpence.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think there seems to be a certain amount of judgement on this thread.

Hypos are a nasty part of Medically controlled diabetes. Some people have many, some are fortunate to have few. We are all different. I can be pootling along controlled beautifully, then trip down to low levels without doing anything different in my daily management. We should be supporting, not judging people living with this unpredictable grind of a disease. You may be lucky to have only the odd hypo, be proud not judgemental, things can turn on a sixpence.

I just think the target range is unrealistic and I’m saying that running slightly higher and avoiding hypos is a better way of life. At least that’s my theory for this stage of my condition as only 5 months in.

Reactions: kev-w

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just think the target range is unrealistic and I’m saying that running slightly higher and avoiding hypos is a better way of life. At least that’s my theory for this stage of my condition as only 5 months in.

For me the target range is mine and mine alone. I don’t allow others to pressure me into a one size fits all. If you feel more comfortable controlling your levels running slightly higher then I say go for it. Years ago people didn’t have the ability to know their levels. They just did their best. My brother was one of these, and believe me he is a lot more relaxed about things than I am. The technology we have at our fingertips today allows us to be so much more flexible, but also puts pressure on everyone to achieve perfection.

Reactions: mountaintom

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My results last week were near **** perfect the best ever in 10 yrs by a long chalk. I used to hypo a couple of times a week maybe . I now have a libre and a blucon which have given me huge control ... i can head off a low easily instead of not knowing till its to late...i dont run on high sugars particularly only now and then but i dont have a meltdown about it ( hence the good bloods) , i run on whats good for me so i can enjoy my life ,live alot this disease is ***** enough without it ruling me !! 6-9 suit me fine but to each their own

Edited by moderator for language.

Last edited by a moderator:

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
Titled "100 % in range, for the first time ever." I think that is enough said right there.
He's using a new system, and from what I see and hear of others using the same system, it is very possible to have pretty much non-diabetic consistency through even travelling and exercise. I suspect that 100% in range is due to very careful management to see how good the new system is and going to great lengths to not have any hypos or hypers, but it also shows that it is possible.

Reactions: Brendon.Dean

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He's using a new system, and from what I see and hear of others using the same system, it is very possible to have pretty much non-diabetic consistency through even travelling and exercise. I suspect that 100% in range is due to very careful management to see how good the new system is and going to great lengths to not have any hypos or hypers, but it also shows that it is possible.

What's the new system I'd love to check it out :)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What's the new system I'd love to check it out :)

One out of most people’s price range!! I use a Libre when I can afford it, but cannot afford the rest of the gubbins.
For those using just blood glucose monitors (though 100% better than urine testers) and living with other conditions, it is a lot harder to manage this disease. Hearing about everyone else’s perfection can at times be very dispiriting!
If the NHS funded everyone on an equal footing across the country, we may then all be in a position to tweek and achieve better results more easily.
Until then everyone, do the best you can. Take each day as a new challenge and give yourself regular pats on the back.

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Even type ones with the tightest control will get hypos weekly unless like said their blood glucose is running higher.
I said no more than 1 or 2 a week, and hardly ever below 3.5. I suppose my hba1c is below 40. It's not that I advise people to do the same, I'm probably just lucky that my diabetes is pretty controllable.
You probably don't mean to, but you make it sound like I'm a liar.

Reactions: LooperCat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just think the target range is unrealistic and I’m saying that running slightly higher and avoiding hypos is a better way of life
The right target range is very different for different people, and even at different times in life.

Reactions: mountaintom

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I said no more than 1 or 2 a week, and hardly ever below 3.5. I suppose my hba1c is below 40. It's not that I advise people to do the same, I'm probably just lucky that my diabetes is pretty controllable.
You probably don't mean to, but you make it sound like I'm a liar.

I definitely don't think you are a liar, I did not see the hardly ever below 3.5 part. If that's the case then yes I agree, I think the good majority of type 1's should be able to maintain no more than 1 to 2 hypos (below 3.5 mmol/L) :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I definitely don't think you are a liar, I did not see the hardly ever below 3.5 part. If that's the case then yes I agree, I think the good majority of type 1's should be able to maintain no more than 1 to 2 hypos (below 3.5 mmol/L) :)
Thanks!

jasholden

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
After 3 weeks of pretty stable bloods around 5.0 to 9.0, last Friday for no apparent reason I went down to 2.7 then up to 17.8 then down to 3.9 then up to 15.3 then down to 2.7 then up to 12.4 - now back to "normal" phew - I used to like rollercoasters - now I don't have to bother... wheeee! - It's because I ran out of porridge and wasn't getting my daily stabilising breakfast.