SD Code Free Strips Batch no. S0318075.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bear in mind that blood is red and interstitial fluid is pale yellow. It is possible that blood could be diluted with interstitial fluid and some people wipe away the first drop and squeeze again, some people advocate not squeezing at all. I have never seen any instructions like that with a meter so I don't do either
What about us Blue Bloods?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They use a YSI analyser so it is normally venous blood ( if drawn by nurse) or can be whole blood for capilliary extraction in hospital, Modern YSI equipment have an option to provide plasma equivalent Doctors and hospitals use whole blood values, home meters use plasma. I am not sure what the in site conversion software uses at all, The DVLA figures are Plasma equivalent I believe,

So what does the HbA1c use?

None of this makes sense to me. In the "old days" before meters calibrated for plasma and measured in whole blood, we were told that to compare our meter readings with our HbA1c we had to convert our meter readings to plasma. There is a converter on this website. Part of the blurb says Whole blood tests are typically approximately 12 per cent lower than plasma tests. In other words, our meter averages would expect to be typically 12% higher than our HbA1c, hence the converter.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/whole-blood-readings-to-plasma-converter.html

Am I being thick, as usual?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just did a quick post dinner test

Codefree 5.6
Caresens 5.4
Tee 2 4.7

Will start testing in earnest tomorrow...

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

None of this makes sense to me. In the "old days" before meters calibrated for plasma and measured in whole blood, we were told that to compare our meter readings with our HbA1c we had to convert our meter readings to plasma. There is a converter on this website. Part of the blurb says Whole blood tests are typically approximately 12 per cent lower than plasma tests. In other words, our meter averages would expect to be typically 12% higher than our HbA1c, hence the converter.

The units for blood glucose level are mmol/litre and as meters are now calibrated for plasma I take this a being per litre of plasma. The conversion between average BG and HbA1c was arrived at empirically that is they measured the average BG and corresponding HbA1c for a lot of test subjects, compared the two and came up with a formula. A formula or conversion chart, unless very old, ought to require input of BG calibrated for plasma. So far I have only found this which specifically says plasma but unfortunately it is in US units.
http://www.diabeteschart.org/bloodsugarchart.html

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The units for blood glucose level are mmol/litre and as meters are now calibrated for plasma I take this a being per litre of plasma. The conversion between average BG and HbA1c was arrived at empirically that is they measured the average BG and corresponding HbA1c for a lot of test subjects, compared the two and came up with a formula. A formula or conversion chart, unless very old, ought to require input of BG calibrated for plasma. So far I have only found this which specifically says plasma but unfortunately it is in US units.
http://www.diabeteschart.org/bloodsugarchart.html
Just noticed this on the same site.....
http://www.diabeteschart.org/intlbgchart.html

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was in hospital last year the nurse came to check my BS 2 or 3 times a day. She always squeezed. This is the only time anyone else has given me a finger prick.
My fingerpricking career started in hospital as that was where I was diagnosed - I was told to wipe finger, prick, squeeze, wipe away the first blob of blood, sqeeze again, apply blood to test strip.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Certainly not thick. That is how it used to be a couple of years ago. I am not sure if the HbA1c converter accepts the new plasma readings directly - it should, but I cannot say for certain. The HbA1c being from the old YSI kit would have expected to be expressed as whole blood result, but should have also changed recently to correlate to the new plasma readings. Not sure is this has happened.

Edit: For exmple
If I put in my current HbA1c to this converter, which calibration is the result being converted to?
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

Edit to Edit: Going by the chart Mr Pot gave us, then it seems it is giving plasma equivalent (almost)

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well looks like this is going to be interesting...

IMG_2078.jpeg

Edit to add no I don't bother to reset times or dates.....

Reactions: Goonergal

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No doubt all up to date tables use plasma BG, pity they don't mention it. I suspect you were hoping for a clue to your BG/HbA1c discrepency.

No, I long ago discarded the plasma/whole blood conundrum from my investigations. Currently my GP is trying something. (2 HbA1cs from same blood draw, analysed by 2 different labs that have different machinery.) I had this double analysis last July and again this morning. We shall see what today's tests bring forth.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve just sent in my last lot of testing of S0318075 against the third batch HH sent me to parallel test. S0318075 was consistently higher again though the gap between the pairs of readings wasn’t so much, meaning that that batch is reading a little higher than I’d expect too.
I have to say I’ve had it with the Code Free now, I’ve lost faith in it :( I’ve taken the plunge and ordered a couple of months worth of strips for my other machine a Caresens Dual, I’ll see how consistent they are. The Code Free will now stay in the drawer as a spare. My fingers need a rest so just one test per blood drop for a while now :)

Edit to add, I still haven’t heard back from HH about the report from the manufacturer :shifty:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening pre dinner readings

Codefree 5.1
Caresens 4.4
Tee2 4.4

Curiouser and curiouser.. only a couple of cold chipolatas pre test and a coffee with cream ..
forgot to grab phone so no pic you'll just have to take my word for it...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening pre dinner readings

Codefree 5.1
Caresens 4.4
Tee2 4.4

Curiouser and curiouser.. only a couple of cold chipolatas pre test and a coffee with cream ..
forgot to grab phone so no pic you'll just have to take my word for it...
I did one parallel test before I consigned my Code Free to the drawer. Pre dinner - Code Free with a batch that seemed OK 4.9, Caresens 4.3

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine is at least consistent - see printout of averages this year

Attachments

• mean bgl 2018 Part 2.pdf
    104.5 KB · Views: 159