What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trampolining sounds fun - good idea. I’ve got an exercise bike but I get really bored on it.

DJC3 - I don't have an exercise bike, but in summer, when not in use, my bike is clicked onto a static traineron a sheltered patio. If I don't have errands to run, or don't fancy peddling arond he village, I download something onto iPlayer on my iPad, and have the pad on a suitable surface. I can then peddle my way to nowhere for an hour without being bored.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 scones look amazing!!!

Breakfast - my usual protein peanut & chocolate bar with cup of tea
Lunch - a large cappuccino
Dinner - late again i’m just about to cook myself a curry of chicken tikka meat (1.7g carbs for the tikka dressing) , onion, mushrooms and a chopped tomato

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast - heba pap porridge with the addition of 6 dark chocolate chefs buttons
Lunch - chocolate chia pudding with a splash of soya cream
Dinner - Stis fried vegetables ( mix of leek, mushrooms, broccoli, purple brussel sprouts, gsarlic, celery 1/2 a carrot) with egg & quorn bacon fried rice with sesame seeds
Snacking - 1/2 a packet of these -https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/The-Dormen-Smoked-Almonds/57160011 -a v nice find
10;days to xmas feels so unreal!

1295 cals
50g carbs
47g fibre

Kingmidas

Evenin' all. Haven't been in for a while as sadly my mum passed away after a little while in hospital. Making an effort to still look after myself as my bloods are booked in for Monday.

Today's nosh:

Breakfast - 1 slice wholemeal toast, sweet freedom choc spread and butter. Tea

Lunch - chicken salad with olives and feta and a side order of walnuts and mexicana cheese. SF jelly

Dinner - rib eye steak and green veg

May I pick brains now, because this is weird. A couple of weeks ago I met up with my brother to talk about arrangements for mum and I had some garlic doughballs. After about an hour I got really shaky, then it passed. This evening I had a piece if my husbands garlic bread and it happened again. I had a quick Google and found 'carbohydrate intolerance' producing the same symptoms and I'm wondering if by drastically cutting down on carbs I've produced this effect? I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this. I never used to get it when my diet was carb heavy

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin' all. Haven't been in for a while as sadly my mum passed away after a little while in hospital. Making an effort to still look after myself as my bloods are booked in for Monday.

Today's nosh:

Lunch - chicken salad with olives and feta and a side order of walnuts and mexicana cheese. SF jelly

May I pick brains now, because this is weird. A couple of weeks ago I met up with my brother to talk about arrangements for mum and I had some garlic doughballs. After about an hour I got really shaky, then it passed. This evening I had a piece if my husbands garlic bread and it happened again. I had a quick Google and found 'carbohydrate intolerance' producing the same symptoms and I'm wondering if by drastically cutting down on carbs I've produced this effect? I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this. I never used to get it when my diet was carb heavy
Welcome back but so sorry to hear about your mum sending big hugs your way during a very difficult time and pleased you are working at looking after yourself do take care and good to see you back here x

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My go to scone recipe is adapted from one my daughter has been using for years. Like her ma, she doesn't bother spending too much time in kitchen. This can be adapted for savoury or something a bit sweet, but less carby than those using flour.
If making sweet, I add a few teaspoons of low cal powdered sweetner. Sometimes add crushed walnuts, or coffee.
For cheese scones add a few tablespoons of grated parmesan, and some strong cheddar. The extra cream is useful here.

All rather hit and miss, but an acceptable scone texture has always been achieved, with much less faff than having to use butter and get hands messy with all that mixing to crumb texture. (Though daughter does say the old fasioned hand mixing leaves finger nails very clean! ;):***:)

Basic mix of ingredients:
150g almond flour
50g coconut flour
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
200–250ml double cream

Preheat the oven to 220C/ 425F/Gas 7. Sift the almond flour, coconut flour, flax seeds and salt together into a medium-size mixing bowl. Add 200ml cream, then work in with a fork until you have even-sized-looking clumps. If the mix is too dry, add the remaining 50ml cream and mix through.

Place on a floured workbench and knead four or five times. Dust with coconut flour and roll the mix flat with a rolling pin to 1cm thick. Cut out 5cm circles with circle cutter and place on a lightly floured baking tray.

Knead the offcuts gently back together and repeat the rolling and cutting process.

They need about 6 to 7 minutes in the centre of the oven.

Reactions: maglil55

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry for your sad loss, @Kingmidas .

Your symptoms with the garlic bread could be your body protesting that it is not used to the carb, but also, a reaction to your bereavement. Even if expected, such a loss can be such a shock.

Look after yourself.

Reactions: Kingmidas

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Today's nosh:

Very sorry to hear that @Kingmidas sending hugs.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: ham with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: lemon chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: chorizo and Gouda rollitos with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Today's nosh:

Kingmidas, I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss. No matter how aged they are or how expected it is, it still hurtrs like heck when they go. Be good to yourself.

I don't want to comment too much on your shaky incidents as it could be a number of things, but I did note that both instances you mention there included garlic. Do you have much garlic in your diet? My OH's brother can't have any garlic or onions in his diet. It's not that he doesn't like them, but if he does consume them, it's quite unpleaseantly spectacular. :S

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 30017 Hi all hope good day had by all as well as being Christmas jumper today it was also low carb cheese scone day - and wow they were wonderful highly recommended - used following recipe thank you @PenguinMum
https://itwontdiabeatus.com/savoury-cheese-scones/
Did make some changes though I added to recipe ( in addition to ingredients listed)
30g of psyllium husk
Extra teaspoon of baking powder
Extra 50g of grated cheese
Extra egg
Extra 20g of melted butter
Extra psyllium husk to roll out scone mix
Increase meant managed 8 scones
Cooked for 20mins not 15 mins
Will rewrite recipe when get chance these will be keepers all family enjoyed and four left for tomorrow. Mum has already requested that I make another batch for her to freeze for going home after holidays! She said and I agreed that could use like a roll too and put filling in for a change.
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg
Lunch lc veggie soup and cheese scone yum!
Dinner salmon cooked in lemon butter served with hollandaise sauce and celeriac and swede parmentier with glass white wine followed by sf jelly and cream.

When my OH (sitting next to me on the sofa) saw those cheese scones, his comment was "they look real, but where is the grated cheese on top?" As a connesseur of the cheese scone, makes fair point.

My skyscraper cheese scones are legendary, and can act as currency with MrB's brother in particular.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday:
Greek yogurt with raspberries and black coffee for breakfast
No lunch, but a black coffee at Costa. Almost ate 2 of their ginger biscuits, but had bitten into first when I read the packet, 33g carbs in 2 biscuits, so I estimate I consumed 8g in my bite of one. Settled for some walnuts I had in my 'emergency ration pack'.
Dinner was cheese and mushroom omelette. More coffee and plenty of water throughout the day.

Today:
No breakfast, as early swimming pool session. Drank plenty of water as it was a hard workout, and I wanted to keep hydrated.
Lunch low carb muffin, with peanut butter and a small piece of stilton. Coffee.
Stir fried in butter mixed cabbage leaves and shallot, 2 pork sausages. Lots of mineral water.

Kingmidas

Kingmidas, I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss. No matter how aged they are or how expected it is, it still hurtrs like heck when they go. Be good to yourself.

I don't want to comment too much on your shaky incidents as it could be a number of things, but I did note that both instances you mention there included garlic. Do you have much garlic in your diet? My OH's brother can't have any garlic or onions in his diet. It's not that he doesn't like them, but if he does consume them, it's quite unpleaseantly spectacular. :S
I do cook with a lot of garlic! On it's own no problem. My niece is very sensitive also to garlic and onion and my daughter has her suspicions also.

Kingmidas

Sorry for your sad loss, @Kingmidas .

Your symptoms with the garlic bread could be your body protesting that it is not used to the carb, but also, a reaction to your bereavement. Even if expected, such a loss can be such a shock.

Look after yourself.
It could be shock, but it happened the first time before mum died. Also although I'm obviously very sad it wasn't a shock at all. Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and wishes

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DJC3 - I don't have an exercise bike, but in summer, when not in use, my bike is clicked onto a static traineron a sheltered patio. If I don't have errands to run, or don't fancy peddling arond he village, I download something onto iPlayer on my iPad, and have the pad on a suitable surface. I can then peddle my way to nowhere for an hour without being bored.

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime on tv so I really should be able to find something to take my mind off the tedium, but in the back of my mind I always think I should be doing something more constructive so I spend the whole time checking my watch to see when I can stop. Daft really as I don’t think like that if I’m doing an exercise class or swimming. Its just the tv watching in the daytime I think - makes me feel guilty.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Today's nosh:

First of all let me say how sorry I am for the loss of your mum, it’s a horrible time of adjustment.

I get exactly the same reaction you have described if I eat a a higher carb meal than I’m used to now, in fact I’ve posted about it here once or twice so I’m really glad to find someone else who’s experienced it.
I didn’t feel like this before when I was eating a high carb diet, but now - I call it a carb hangover. It feels like I imagine a hypo would but if I check bg they are normal ( around 5s ) so I can only assume its the rapid comedown from a higher than normal bg. Its really unpleasant and the couple of times Ive had it ( not through garlic bread - soup on one occasion that I think was thickened with flour or potato) has convinced me I’m never going back to a carb heavy diet.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late posting as granddaughters are staying over tonight so it’s been a full on evening.
B: DD breakfast sandwich
L: Slice of yesterday’s cold roast beef with a few walnuts and small portion of cheese. Then one of the cheesecake brownies with a coffee
D: Gammon ( actually bacon collar - a more economical cut made moist and delicious in the IP) with cauliflower cheese and sprouts.
Girls are in bed but I can still hear clumping about - I havent even had time to sample the Baileys yet!