Libre Sensor Rash

CDM9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’ve been on libre 8 months but last 3 sensors have caused terrible itching plus rash on arm see attached. It’s also coming off before 14 day expiry. Never bothered me before , so annoying. I can see a few people have had issues just wondered whether it’s worth trying leg or tummy? I’ve never had any issues before now so guessing it’s a change in adhesive.
IMG_3826.jpg

CDM9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It looks worse in real life than this but you can see it overlapping an old rash too i now have 3 :( and all different batches ..!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @CDM9 Try spraying Cavlon onto your skin before applying, Cavlon applies a barrier shield into the skin and should help, there isn't much else you can do, I get them too, particularly with my cannula sets in my tum and can look quite sore for a few days after removal but have accepted now as a fact of life.

Reactions: SamJB and CDM9

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I had exactly the same, again after 8 months use. I persevered because I thought I could live with the rash, but then I discovered that the allergic reaction was causing increasingly erratic readings (eg a night time reading of continuous LO when my blood sugar was reading in the 5s and 6s). After numerous different sensors (Abbott were very good about sending free replacements) and even a new reader, I had to give up. I decided to wait 6 months and recently tried my last sensor : the allergic reaction was almost gone (just an occasional itch) but the readings remain completely erratic, so it's no more libre for me. (Am considering a dexcom in the future.)
So, you may find things improve if you stop using the libre for a while, but make sure you do some traditional blood tests to check the libre results, as you may find the libre is no longer as accurate as it used to be. :(

Reactions: CDM9
D

Deleted member 308541

Hmmm! Dermatitis striking it's ugly head again.

I have this problem with dressings also, and I use Antroquoril and Cortic creams when my legs flare up.

I will put here that both are cortisone based creams, before another member spits the dummy about the creams I use. :meh:

Reactions: CDM9

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
May be a silly thought, but if this is an allergy reaction, has anyone suffering from it tried to alleviate the symptoms by taking anti-histamines?

D

Deleted member 308541

May be a silly thought, but if this is an allergy reaction, has anyone suffering from it tried to alleviate the symptoms by taking anti-histamines?
I tried Phenergan 25mg tablets when my legs were giving me major problems with dermo, it did not seem to stop the itching though.

CDM9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @CDM9 Try spraying Cavlon onto your skin before applying, Cavlon applies a barrier shield into the skin and should help, there isn't much else you can do, I get them too, particularly with my cannula sets in my tum and can look quite sore for a few days after removal but have accepted now as a fact of life.

Good tip thanks will try and get some!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having the same problem. They vary. Last two zero problems, the one I put on on Friday is a nightmare. May have to take it off. As @EllieM said the readings then become erratic. Last 2 totally in line with blood. This one basically had me dead in the night. Obviously I’m not. I expect the body fighting the allergy affects it.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had the same problem and the only thing that worked was using a Compeed underneath (but then you risk the sensor not firing through it properly and then it's wasted if it doesn't work. Too risky). By the way, I wasted a huge amount of money trying everything under the sun (including some of the tips other people recommend, such as applying flonase nasal spray beforehand, using anti-allergy tablets, using rok tape, using cavlon, etc. etc. Nothing worked except Compeed).

Only option for me was to switch to Dexcom, which has a much better adhesive and has not caused me any issues whatsoever.

CDM9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had the same problem and the only thing that worked was using a Compeed underneath (but then you risk the sensor not firing through it properly and then it's wasted if it doesn't work. Too risky). By the way, I wasted a huge amount of money trying everything under the sun (including some of the tips other people recommend, such as applying flonase nasal spray beforehand, using anti-allergy tablets, using rok tape, using cavlon, etc. etc. Nothing worked except Compeed).

Only option for me was to switch to Dexcom, which has a much better adhesive and has not caused me any issues whatsoever.

Thanks for the info! What do you mean by compeed - like the plaster with a hole in the middle or a blister plaster? Wouldn’t they lift / leak?! Thanks

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the info! What do you mean by compeed - like the plaster with a hole in the middle or a blister plaster? Wouldn’t they lift / leak?! Thanks
The blister plasters you can buy - Compeed "medium" are the best size for Libre. They do start lifting at the edges but not for a few days and can you can always cover them. However, as mentioned above, you either need to pierce a hole in it for the needle to fire through (and risk still getting a reaction, which happens to most people) or take a risk that the needle will penetrate through the compeed - sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't and I spent ages trying to work out best technique etc. but never found a definitve way. Maybe 50% of mine failed to insert , which means you've wasted a sensor and may not be able to get a replacement from Abbott.

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DuoDerm Exta thin is a lot cheaper and does not run the same risk of not penetrating that Compeed does. I'd highly recommend it especially with SkinTak underneath to keep it in place.

I get a very severe reaction so I have to pull the adhesive of the sensor before I insert it and add wig tap inbetween the sensor and duoderm too, then put a layer of rock tape onto of that too. It's no longer a small minimal sensor anymore but considering the value I have for the sensor I'd do anything to keep using it.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’ve been on libre 8 months but last 3 sensors have caused terrible itching plus rash on arm see attached. It’s also coming off before 14 day expiry. Never bothered me before , so annoying. I can see a few people have had issues just wondered whether it’s worth trying leg or tummy? I’ve never had any issues before now so guessing it’s a change in adhesive. View attachment 27178

I think coming off the Libre is the best option.

Canadagirl

Hi I’ve been on libre 8 months but last 3 sensors have caused terrible itching plus rash on arm see attached. It’s also coming off before 14 day expiry. Never bothered me before , so annoying. I can see a few people have had issues just wondered whether it’s worth trying leg or tummy? I’ve never had any issues before now so guessing it’s a change in adhesive. View attachment 27178

Canadagirl

So I too used the libre for 8 months now a terrible rash. There is a new component in the glue recipe. I have seen many posts about this. Sadly I cannot use the libre anymore the rash and itch is too much. Hopefully Abbot wakes up and goes back to the old adhesive. It's so sad that we get a new product like this and then can't use it. So annoying.

Bradsparky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same problem here! Incredibly bad reaction to the sensor adhesive. Just been on the phone to Freestyle Libre and the advisor said he was aware of the problem but wasn't able to give an indication of if or when the issue would be resolved. Unhappy with his response I asked to speak to someone who did know so that I could post the findings on here.... I was cut off! I would imagine there will be a lengthy period of time before this gets resolved... Mine is unbearable after just 5 days of wearing the latest sensor the itching is severe.... As much as I love the convenience of these I just can't bear the itching and blister sores.... GOING TO DITCH THEM.... if everyone ditches them maybe they'll sort themselves out quickly.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same problem here! Incredibly bad reaction to the sensor adhesive. Just been on the phone to Freestyle Libre and the advisor said he was aware of the problem but wasn't able to give an indication of if or when the issue would be resolved. Unhappy with his response I asked to speak to someone who did know so that I could post the findings on here.... I was cut off!

They won't be able to give you a date for when it'll be fixed, because they don't know - they might not be able to fix it. You might not be happy with that response, but you're not going to get a better one by asking somebody else :)

if everyone ditches them maybe they'll sort themselves out quickly.

Problem is there's more than enough people who are ok - they can't keep up with demand as it is.

Bradsparky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They won't be able to give you a date for when it'll be fixed, because they don't know - they might not be able to fix it. You might not be happy with that response, but you're not going to get a better one by asking somebody else :)

Problem is there's more than enough people who are ok - they can't keep up with demand as it is.

I've been okay for 12 months NO RASHES OR REACTIONS... THEN there was a new batch made with new glue which seems not only to be reacting with myself but with many other people. They made a new adhesive as many had complained it was being knocked off or came off easily. Since the new adhesive there are many more complaining of a reaction including itching, blistering and oozing. When I spoke with them they were aware of this but non committed to a fix or even the possibility of a fix.... I wanted to "speak to someone else" (Higher in authority) who might have an answer? No one else is going to have the answer other than Freestyle Libre people... How can they not know???? A bit of a flippant response evilclive Yes I would fully expect a different response from a decision maker and someone responsible for correcting a design flaw and fault. Blistering and skin sores on a diabetic are extremely dangerous! Especially when they are being caused by an item that is supposed to be helping.