Insulin shortages in the UK after Brexit

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, they will have to pay whatever the rate is, should it go ahead. They can't get away with rationing people on insulin, imagine the effects of that!

K

Knikki

No not concerned and has been discussed on the forum a couple of times.

Plus it also goes for any other medication for other long term conditions for people who rely on medicines made in this country and have to go into Europe.

Reactions: SimonCrox

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, but we have got colour TV now
and we can live, work, retire anywhere within the EU, take our money there (who remembers the £10 cash limit and other restrictions), we benefit from lots of work place rights, fresh produce IS fresh in the shops, there is peace in Northern Ireland, we can drive throughout the EU, get medical treatment ......

To return to the OP's question, if I used insulin, I would certainly try very hard to make sure I was not about to run out at the end of March next year. None of us know what is going to happen, so it's up to us all to make our own contingency and emergency plans.
Sally

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
What the hell? We abolished them in 1974 !!!!

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll most likely be losing my job if we Brexit... so I'll be fine. I probably won't be able to afford to eat anyway, so insulin requirement will be much less ;):D

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
D*** sure I am. Especially when the brexit secretary says they can't guarantee there won't be deaths after bday

Edited by moderator for language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SimonCrox

wiffywyerf

I'm not sure what the BBC or owning aTV has got to do about taking insulin. I had a steroid injection in my swollen knee yesterday, blood sugar was 10.0, at night not unusual for me I took my usual 11 units of Levemir and woke up to Hi this morning I took 18 of Humalog tested again at 0930 it was down to 31. Testing again now having put in another 18 units down to 26 so what do I do now?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure what the BBC or owning aTV has got to do about taking insulin. I had a steroid injection in my swollen knee yesterday, blood sugar was 10.0, at night not unusual for me I took my usual 11 units of Levemir and woke up to Hi this morning I took 18 of Humalog tested again at 0930 it was down to 31. Testing again now having put in another 18 units down to 26 so what do I do now?
Hi @wiffywyerf , and welcome,

You're not sure what the BBC and owning a TV have to do with insulin, but that's most likely because you're posting in a thread about a slightly different topic than what you're wondering about. No problem, happens regularly. (@Juicyj , @DCUKMod can you help? I'm not at home with insulin much aside form what my cat needs, and others who are knowledgable might miss this here, and some help would be nice. I'm kinda useless with this).

As for steroids, they signal your liver to dump glucose like crazy, so this'll probably last a little while. For me, my BS went up for a day or two after I got one in my shouder, but I heard some people's rise lasts longer. I'd say, test like there's no tomorrow, I think for ketones too, and get in touch with your doc about it. It's temporary, but still something to keep an eye out for.

Again, welcome! Hope you'll feel better soon!
Jo

Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted member 308541

Same for Australians I believe. The €7 permit lasts for 3 years and no limit on the number of visits, so hardly expensive.
It used to cost me $20.00 for my Australian permanent resident visa in my UK passport.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same for Australians I believe. The €7 permit lasts for 3 years and no limit on the number of visits, so hardly expensive.
But now we have the right to travel and it's being taken away

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But now we have the right to travel and it's being taken away
Regarding travel (rather than living and working) we have always had to show our passports when entering the Schengen area, now we have to get a sort of permit like the US ESTA. This is a new security measure introduced by the EU and applies to all the 61 countries that don't need visas. I don't see this will restrict travel.