Insulin shortages in the UK after Brexit

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Regarding travel (rather than living and working) we have always had to show our passports when entering the Schengen area, now we have to get a sort of permit like the US ESTA. This is a new security measure introduced by the EU and applies to all the 61 countries that don't need visas. I don't see this will restrict travel.

We now have to obtain permission to travel, rather than having it as a right. Plus the Freedom of Movement, to live, work, travel and study in EU of 65m UK citizens has now been removed.

D

Deleted Account

We now have to obtain permission to travel, rather than having it as a right. Plus the Freedom of Movement, to live, work, travel and study in EU of 65m UK citizens has now been removed.
The pedantic imp on my shoulder asked me to remind you this has not yet been removed.
According to current plans, this will be removed at the end of March unless Brexit is delayed.
Until then, we remain in the EU.

Last edited by a moderator:

SimonCrox

Totally agree with the comments above.
It is not just insulin that might be a problem, other drugs may be lacking and the governemnt has said that pharmacists can just swap the missing agent to something similar - which might be OK, or you might hve spent a lot of time finding the agent that suits you only to have it taken away. The government has already asked pharma companies to stockpile drugs, but then they and the purchasers ask the public to not stockpile drugs! (I seem to have two years' supply of inhalers and B12 jabs in my cupboard now)
Comment about employment is very sad, but realistic and pertinent - a decent income does help ones health.
And we haven't mentioned all the NHS and care staff that are leaving with ensuing shortages, or that investment in the NHS comes from the country's wealth which comes from taxing businesses that are already leaving.
I would not trust anything this government does or says - incompetent and / or self serving and / or lying.
It is all really worrying and I despair for the future of my children in this country.

Reactions: eventhorizon

bloozman_1

Yes, fairly stressed about it, the fact that it's not produced here, we don't have the mass storage facilities to store the large amounts of all types of insulin, Matt Hancock (tory health secretary) has apparently become the largest buyer of fridges in the world, they hired a shipping company with no ships and that they (the tories) have basically decimated HMRC leaving most of it with skeleton personnel at best, meaning that supplies "could" be stuck at ports waiting for clearance...
i don't trust the tories to switch on a light with full instructions and a chaperone, never mind getting something as important as my insulin to me, you, or anyone else .... :(
and it's NOT like they are telling people what's happening to put anyone at ease ...

SimonCrox

Yes, fairly stressed about it, the fact that it's not produced here, we don't have the mass storage facilities to store the large amounts of all types of insulin, Matt Hancock (tory health secretary) has apparently become the largest buyer of fridges in the world, they hired a shipping company with no ships and that they (the tories) have basically decimated HMRC leaving most of it with skeleton personnel at best, meaning that supplies "could" be stuck at ports waiting for clearance...
i don't trust the tories to switch on a light with full instructions and a chaperone, never mind getting something as important as my insulin to me, you, or anyone else .... :(
and it's NOT like they are telling people what's happening to put anyone at ease ...

That is the same Matt Hancock who said that he could not promise that there wouldn't be deaths from lack of medicines, and the same Matt Hancock who told us not to worry cos he was stockpiling body bags!

Totally agree that the present governement (and most of the opposition) are totally incompetent. May et al were told 6 times that the present agreemeent is the final agreement; May loses a vote in commons big time so goes back to Brusselss to renegotiate the deal - they say No - it is the final deal. So she goes back to westminster and the MPs vote that she should go back to Brussels to renogotiate the deal!

Incidentally, CP Weddell pharma of Wrexham have been taken over by Wockhardt, an Indian generic company who still make the hypurin beef and pig insulins in the UK; the reason that you have not heard of them is that they do not make very much, and I have experienced diffficulties in getting their insulin in the past.

All very worrying. Davis says not to worry if the GBPound drops another 20% (it has already dropped 15%) against the euro - so our food from europe (which is most of our food) will cost 35% more except that they now want to add a 30% tarif to imported food. One could go on for ever about this. There is a 25% chance that both my sons will be dead before we see the benefit of Brexit, according to Rees Mogg.

Last edited:

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Brexit .........its an easy way to get rid of the surplace population especially the cost a fortune members........blame Brexit or the Leavers when people cant get medicines........the government are just doing what people asked of it so blame the people......

Last edited:

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont think getting rid of all the vicars is going to help : ))))))

It might....but then its only a few thousand bodies so maybe not.......hmmmmmm.........still any reduction is better than none according to Scrooge.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@SimonCrox More risk of allergies too but I'm definitely allergic to Brexit. Talk about washing your dirty linen in public! :mad:
I can see why some countries think we are a joke.
What a mess. Is there anything we can not mess up?