Sickness bug.

Jonlennon

Hi, I've only been a type 1 for two months and I woke up this morning feeling sick a x flu like symptoms, I forced myself to eat some cereal this morning and had some insulin before work. Then I got home had a small bowl of pasta with some insulin, but I feel terrible, so want to go to bed, but my blood is 4.2 and I still need to take my lantus insulin but a bit worried as can't eat as stomach cramps. Any help be great.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I've only been a type 1 for two months and I woke up this morning feeling sick a x flu like symptoms, I forced myself to eat some cereal this morning and had some insulin before work. Then I got home had a small bowl of pasta with some insulin, but I feel terrible, so want to go to bed, but my blood is 4.2 and I still need to take my lantus insulin but a bit worried as can't eat as stomach cramps. Any help be great.
Sorry you are not well, @Jonlennon .
Also that I don't know the answer. Hoping some fellow mods @Jaylee, @himtoo, @Juicyj or @Diakat can advise.

Or some of our knowledgeable members who are insulin dependent?

Reactions: Jonlennon

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
thanks for the tag @Pipp

Hi @Jonlennon

if you are not feeling well ( and I am sorry to be the deliverer of bad news ) there are sick day rules for t1d's
so essentially you will need to test every 2 hours ( even though you feel like death and just want to sleep )

if you are unwell your BG's will rise as your body fights the infection -- this normally needs more insulin

however.............as you are newly diagnosed and may be honeymooning -- your experience may or may not be the same

hee is a link to sick day rules should you need them http://www.nhslanarkshire.org.uk/Se...Sick Day Rules for Type 1 Diabetes Oct 16.pdf

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Jonlennon, One thing your DSN should have done (and certainly now needs to do) is work out a 'sick days' plan with you, to cover this very situation. Please ring her as a matter of urgency (although you may not have contact details for after hours/weekends etc).
The general plan given me (and so not as professional advice or opinion for you) was for:
# drinking lots of fluids, flat lemonade (with sugar in it not the low cal safe for diabetic ones in this instance) or buying one the of powder or liquid forms of treatments for tummy upsets from the chemist - they contain some glucose and salts.
# keep taking insulin as the stress of the illness I was told counteracts the tendency for low BSLs - but this is only a general statement
# report not being able to pass any urine over a 12 hour period of time
# report any fever > 38.5 degrees C, blood in the vomit or passing of blood, symptoms lasting > 7 to 10 days
# report BSLs > 15 mmol/l with presence of ketones
Please see what your DSN or doctor says and best wishes with a quick recovery,

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Get well soon @Jonlennon .

Thankful insulin will keep you healthier once any honeymoon period has past.

I find every sick period a little different and my ability to help fight them too. The easier ones give me greater confidence.
Although I'm normally ill every winter due to my additional none diabetic conditions. I'm feeling hopeful this winter.

Keep warm and hydrated. Keep smiling! :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Sounds like you've got it under control. Keep an eye on numbers and get well soon!