Permission to follow a low carb diet (and fasting)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have to remember that hypos can increase the risk of motor vehicle accidents. Would any doctor be prepared to sign a continuance of driver's license with such low HBA1Cs? They have a responsibility to the community at large to not certify drivers who may be at risk.
Doctors will not be using just knowledge out of a textbook but I agree not all are up-to-date !!

Hi kitedoc,
Yes of course a hypo is dangerous whether when driving or in any other situation and I hope I didn't insinuate otherwise. I know a Dr would never sign a continuance of a license when he looks at an hba1c in isolation because that hb1 is indicating to him that it has been achieved through a combination of highs & lows. My point was that an individual with an hb1 in the 30s would know whether they go below 4 by the use of a libre BUT a Dr will never take a personal record as proof of anything, thus they go by the 'text'. I fully understand why.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi kitedoc,
Yes of course a hypo is dangerous whether when driving or in any other situation and I hope I didn't insinuate otherwise. I know a Dr would never sign a continuance of a license when he looks at an hba1c in isolation because that hb1 is indicating to him that it has been achieved through a combination of highs & lows. My point was that an individual with an hb1 in the 30s would know whether they go below 4 by the use of a libre BUT a Dr will never take a personal record as proof of anything, thus they go by the 'text'. I fully understand why.
Hi @KK123, No insinuation assumed. Not everyone will have a Libre attached, or necessarily have it on alarm. And they cannot be continually checking a libre whilst driving. I am uncertain about UK but in Adelaide South Australia, the stipulation made by the certifying doctor is that no driving by a person on insulin or other BSL-lowering agents is to be undertaken with BSL (currently fimger-prick reading) of less than 5 mmol/l.
The other thing the doctor has to be prepared to do when he/she signs off on the certificate is to justify to a court that a HBAic of less than 40 for the patient involved in a motor vehicle accident is consistent with the ability of that patient to drive safely.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type one and my first Hba1c was 17%. Then 3 months later it was 4.5%. The endo wanted to prescribe meds to raise it because she was alarmed but I said no to that. I have decreased my insulin and am eating more carbs instead. I find the hba1c very confusing. I don't understand how it can be an average of your BG over the last 3 months. I know there's a tricky calculation behind it but wouldn't the carbs consumed in the prior 24 hours have more to do with it than what you ate 2 months ago?

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find the hba1c very confusing. I don't understand how it can be an average of your BG over the last 3 months. I know there's a tricky calculation behind it but wouldn't the carbs consumed in the prior 24 hours have more to do with it than what you ate 2 months ago?

It's about glucose binding to haemoglobin in red blood cells. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycated_hemoglobin

The binding is irreversible, but it's also slow enough to only affect a small amount at once, so seeing how much is bound is a fair guess at average levels over the lifetime of red blood, ie 3 months.

Benny G

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use libre/blucon with xdrip+ smartwatch. I eat LCHF and have reduced my hba1c to 57 or 7.4, I am aiming for hba1c between 39 and 57 or 5.7 and 7.4. I am very impressed with the results I am seeing. I use a spreadsheet to record my daily hba1c estimates, which automatically estimates both weekly and monthly scores.
The estimates are close to clinical results so I will continue this form of tracking.
39 to 57 show on the spreadsheet as blue or green cells. Red is too low and yellow too high.
Screenshot_20181217-120814.png

My consultant is prepared to support low carb and is allowing me to change Lantus for Levemir to allow more variation and lower doses.
I find that hypo unawareness does creep in with lower glucose levels, so I aim for compromise not perfection.

Reactions: Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm much the same. My HbA1c's have historically been mid- to low-60s. Best ever with strict carb-counting was 57 mmol/mol. After 6 months on keto, I got it down to 51 mmol/mol, which is the best it's been in 28 years. The only downside now is my astronomical LDL! But I love the freedom I get from keto now. No more carb counting, very flat CGM traces (I also use Libre/Blucon/xDrip), far fewer hypos - they used to be daily - and far fewer highs, too - they used to be 18+ frequently. Now I get worried if I'm over 9...

Reactions: Benny G and michita