As its Christmas...?

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
It's probably only this sub forum can do this so appologies to the folk with more demanding situations than mine.

Anybody planning on stepping off the wagon strategically over chrimbo.

Have half the world coming round or.so it feels.

I was thinking that so long as I keep testing when I step off it should be OK.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

My meter is locked away on Christmas Day, although I do take fasting and bedtime readings. Other than that, none.

M

Member496333

Nope. My waggon is heading true north with me at the helm as always. I have no desire for traditional ”treats” anyway. I’m completely happy with my everyday food choices. so there will be no temptation.

Of course I understand that others will choose a different approach and that’s cool too :)

Last edited by a moderator:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's probably only this sub forum can do this so appologies to the folk with more demanding situations than mine.

Hi Spl, you will get a LOT of opinions on this! It all depends on what you mean by 'stepping off the wagon', if you mean eating carbs galore and whatever you like for the entire Xmas week, then 'testing' won't make it 'ok', it will just show you what your glucose levels are doing, is this what you mean?, if a test shows low levels you can carry on because you got away with it? The problem with that is there will be an accumulative effect. The testing is more likely to put you in a bad mood to be honest if it shows the rises. I think that a more balanced approach is to stick as far as possible to your normal diet (are you low carb?), and maybe have the odd mince pie or extra potato, I know for many it's an all or nothing of course and that one spud might lead to 10. You could even try and offset the extra 'treat' by exercising more. Anyway, if it was me, I would stick to my normal diet mostly but one choc or the odd mince pie might sneak in along with lots of cheese/turkey/veg and all those things that are still just as yummy Xmas or not. I know you are pre diabetic and that I am type 1 who could use insulin to cover any 'extra's which I rarely do but in the end, we are all the same, do we scoff the carbs over Xmas or not, I tend to think of it as a real abuse of my body to be giving it something it simply cannot cope with. What is your normal diet and your readings? x

Reactions: briped

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh yes, most definitely! I say no to all the food and drink I like, all year, so for one day I'm going to eat and drink what I want!

Then, back on it after Christmas, with maybe the odd one-or-two digressions. I'm good all year and deserve treats!

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well, My T2 never takes a day off. Not Sundays nor Easter or Christmas. I've learned that my body is very sensitive to carbs, but I know that if it wasn't, and if I wasn't an all or nothing girl, I probably would go easier some days too.
I'm lucky that I don't even get tempted by social occasions, as there will be none for me. No family or colleauges to celebrate with. It sounds sad, I know, but hey, it makes it much easier for me :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll definitely have some unusual glucose numbers over christmas. I won't eat a big part of dessert but I'll definitely eat some, and I'll eat some of every dish that will be served. Yes, I inject for it but no way I can perfecly dose for a chrismas dinner and that's OK with me :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If I fall off the wagon, I have to get back into ketosis again, which is usually rough. And if my BS goes high I'm prone to panic attacks, which I really don't need around that many familymembers. I had a hand in all christmas menu's this year (Home with a friend, home with mom, at mom's and at my inlaws), so I know there's plenty for me to eat without missing out.

That said: My husband and I have an agreement. There'll be loads of good stuff I can't actually have anymore, but he can. And I can have a tiny little nibble of his petit fours etc, just for the taste. That's usually enough, and won't wreck my bloodsugars and carb-allowance. If I wasn't in ketosis though, I would probably indulge at the end of the party, when everyone's going home and I can help "get rid" of leftovers... But no, not this year. I don't want to go into the new year with keto-flu.

Loads of people indulge for the day, though, and if you keep testing... Knock yourself out...! For me personally, the price is a little too high. (I do NOT want to weep in front of 12+ familymembers! And I'm prone to, if my bloodsugars go up. Anything'd set me off, good or bad, and it's been a rough year for all of us, so that'd be almost unavoidable then).

I just figure, if you have a good time at Christmas, then it's fine. And if you don't have to keep an eye on yourself for such partypoopers as panic attacks and keto flu, then hey... It's all good!

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it's perfectly okay to have a period when you're less strict, as long as you know the consequences. For some, those consequences are minor enough to be outweighed by the enjoyment of the food and of joining in with the rest of the gang.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep - for the things that are 'worth it' to me, though (ie the things I really, really like).

Actually, that's generally my philosophy for throughout the year but there are a lot more things that fall into that category around Christmas time.

Sadly, I have a diabetic tendency to very quickly fall asleep after too many chocolate biscuits. Grrrr. I have many, many years to go before that becomes an acceptable practice (as my Grandpa always did at the dinner table!).

Reactions: DJC3

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
A small deviation of the straight and narrow will be on the cards. I can forsee a LOT of extra injections to keep my Libre line straight(ish)

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Sadly, I have a diabetic tendency to very quickly fall asleep after too many chocolate biscuits.

Its bread for me. Any carbs but bread is better than sleeping pills.

Thanks for the candid replies. I'm currently low carb and only really suffer a nasty taste in my mouth from going into keto, maybe headache if I'm sloppy with water and salt.

I was just thinking of pork pie, mince pie or 2 not dunking myself in sugar. I'm doing all the cooking so everybody will be getting a lower carb Christmas Dinner.
Cheese and port with my dad in the evening will knock a hole in things. Maybe switch in some different crackers but diabetes be dammed I'm not dropping that little tradition in our house.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll definitely have some unusual glucose numbers over christmas. I won't eat a big part of dessert but I'll definitely eat some, and I'll eat some of every dish that will be served. Yes, I inject for it but no way I can perfecly dose for a chrismas dinner and that's OK with me :)
I will too no doubt but I will only have a less lethal desert. ( sugar and lactose free trifle, with berries instead of sponge)

Reactions: Antje77

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Last year (my first Crimbo after dx) I splurged on Christmas Day but was sorely tempted on Boxing Day (traditionally, I do a running buffet) so this year I am tinkering with the idea of a LCHF Christmas Day and a splurge on Boxing Day. Not scientific but worth a go. I was very surprised last year that I did not splurge as high as when I used to pre dx.

Reactions: ickihun

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Spl@ lol I would dunk myself in sugar, except I learned a valuable lesson yesterday with about 1/3 of a large buttermilk donut...it was the first non-chocolate dessert I'd had in quite a while, and in addition to active revulsion at "having to eat more" (!), I found my vestibular symptoms upped themselves, which might have been connected to the weather being in a changing pattern, or might have been the carbs. It was pretty sudden and pretty fierce, and immediately after the donut, so I'm going with "don't want to do that again!"

I never "plan" to step, leap, or fall off the wagon...it "just happens, oh dear look what I've done!". I will be that many days closer to my second a1c test in February, which had better be under 6.5/48, or I will officially have T2D. At my age and my other pre-existing conditions, I'd really like to avoid having that on my record. Even if one is in the hospital for only a night, those nurses are awfully quick with the insulin needle! Do Not Want. So....I'm going to not make any cookies, and try my darndest to avoid fast carbs at gatherings, of which there are fewer this year, a mixed blessing.

You know? if I go to a meal gathering which includes mashed potatoes, I won't eat them. If the food includes both white and sweet potatoes, I will eat those sweet potatoes unless they are obviously sporting marshmallows (I don't care for that recipe at all!) See? It's all the cook's fault!:hilarious: I may hesitate on the first pass, but on the second pass by the buffet, I just can't pass it up.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I just don't see the need - OK there will be Yorkshire puddings made with bread flour, lots of eggs, cream and water - but with all the turkey, ham, beef, cheese - low carb crackers, reduced carb bread, high cocoa chocolate, nuts berries sugar free jelly real custard, cream in coffee, salad stuff, salmon and sea food, more cheese and nuts and by then I will be feeling that won't need to eat for days.

D

Deleted member 308541

Hot cross buns and easter eggs will be on sale boxing day in the local shops again this year.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Hot cross buns and easter eggs will be on sale boxing day in the local shops again this year.

And I thought we were bad here in US!!!! We first have the 50/75/90% off Christmas merch sales, then while that happens and the New Year’s stuff is moved front and center, the Valentine’s Day stuff shows up. Then all the green things and shamrocks, which overlap with Easter. Then summer sun, and bu May it’s all 4th of July followed closely by back-to-school

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @Spl@ these days I find nearly all "normal" treats to be too sweet, anything less than 90% chocolate is a No-Go for me. Likewise I just don't fancy pasta, spuds and the like. My taste buds have changed over the past two years. I had a few chips a couple of weeks ago, they tasted like wallpaper paste! The other thing is that I am trying to get into Ketosis, it is proving difficult, and I don't want to waste the last few weeks on conforming to others ideas of what constitutes "treats".

Reactions: catarinagallo

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

How are you at getting back on? If you can return to your excellent choices easily then everyone deserves a day off. Many cannot afford a day off so to those sufferers I wouldn't advise it.
You will always know your status better. An adult judgement call. This is.