Type 1 Green tea

Shann3079

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I’ve been researching hot drinks that are good for you because I drink way to much fizzy (sugar free but still) and it said green tea is good for type 1 diabetics (me) is this true or just a myth?

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I’ve been researching hot drinks that are good for you because I drink way to much fizzy (sugar free but still) and it said green tea is good for type 1 diabetics (me) is this true or just a myth?
Any idea why? Personally, I don't like to take anything like this at face value without understanding at least some of the science behind it...

Shann3079

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_0710.jpg

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why green tea is good for t1s presumably.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Okay, so it depends on whether insulin sensitivity is a problem for you. It may well help many Type 2's, as that's exactly their problem, but not so much for me, who's very insulin-sensitive.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The trouble is that the blurb about green tea does not state how much it may affect insulin sensitivity. One would expect that if it had a spectacular effect they would have made some extra-concentrated extract of it.
From health.harvard.edu Health benefits from drinking tea, My take on tea (that from the Camellia species) is that imbibed in moderation it has a number of anti-oxidants in it which seem to be of help to our bodies. And that it has been consumed for centuries. The usual teas contain caffeine which is a plus or minus depending on whether caffeine causes too much stimulation of the heart beat or affects sleep. We cannot be absolutely certain if it is the properties of tea or the kind of people who tend to drink tea or a mixture of both that explains its apparent benefits.
Adding milk to tea is said to adversely affect the anti-oxidants in the tea. see npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/09/27 - Health Benefits of T: Milking It or Not?
Most of the hype about tea and diabetes seems to boil down to that the ingredients may be beneficial but I could not find any solid research to prove how beneficial it may be.
But note that caffeine can cause release of glucose from the liver or sometimes a lowering of blood sugar (mayoclinic.org - Caffeine: Does it affect blood sugar?.)
For a comparison of how much caffeine is in coffee vs black tea or other types of tea: please see tealife.com.au July 2017 How much caffeine is in tea and which are caffeine-free? This will help with calculating the 200 mg caffeine amount referred to in the article above - mayoclinic.org. There is less caffeine in white than green than black tea.
Of course staying away from sweetened tea is best for one's diabetes and dental health.
Herbal teas are usually caffeine-free. There are concerns that some herbals may contain naturally occurring substances that may promote cancer (ncbi.nlm.nih.gov Risks associated with consumption of herbals teas - Mantiega and Park 1997).
Some herbs can interact with medications, or cause upset stomach, liver upset
etc (stylecraze.com 10 unexpected effects of peppermint tea.)
Unborn children may be more sensitive to some chemicals so ensuring that a beverage is safe during pregnancy is also an important thing to find out for those of child-bearing years (see babycentre.com.au) and apparently if you are allergic to pollen you may be allergic to chamomille.
Personally I drink coffee x 3 in the day with milk as that seems better for my stomach ( any more than that, or taken later than about 4 pm I do not sleep well.
At night I like roobios tea, as it is caffeine free and tastes pretty close to black tea. However, I may mindful that Roobios is not without its problems (tealy.com.sg What are the risks and side-effects of Roobios tea?).
Each to his or her own.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I read somewhere that to get to a beneficial level of intake of antioxidants in green tea you would need to take in 8 cups a day. Much too much! Bit like the revesterol in red wine of which you'd hve to drink gallons to gaiin any benefit.
I am just a bit sceptical is that this distracts people from the food which makes up the most important part of their diet or worse still sends them directly to Holland and Barrett to spend a fortune; worse still overdosing on green tea taken in big doses (capsules) seems to risk liver damage.
Personally I drink 1 milky coffee a day and any coffee or tea after that is black so that I don't raise my bgs too much. Fizzy pop is okay but reputedly can still cause a bg spike or trigger hunger (body reacting to the failure of the drink to deliver the actual sugar signalled by the sweet taste) so it is a good idea to seek an alternative.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Dr Jason Fung has helped created a super concentrated version of green tea, mainly to help those fasting to stave off hunger. However if it is the health benefits one is after, this means less cups are required:

https://idmprogram.com/introducing-pique-fasting-tea/

Dr Fung says you can make similar potency by placing a few green tea bags in a cup of cold water overnight in a fridge.

I can't cite the reference but I did also read somewhere that too much green tea is detrimental, here's a similar reference
https://www-ndtv-com.cdn.ampproject...errer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

valmca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't know about the science, I just drink various flavoured green teas because they don't come with calories or carbs, are an alternative to boring plain water or double-cream-laden coffee (delicious - but I try not to have too many per day), and have the comfort factor of being a 'hot drink'.