Hypo’s advice

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been on Levemir since June & NovoRapid since September.

The Levemir is doing what’s required overnight. I’m on 38 units of that.

I’m still working on my NovoRapid units.

Unfortunately tho this week, I’ve started having hypo’s. These only happened when I increased the NovoRapid to 20 units, 3 times daily.

I’ve never experienced them before, all of a sudden I’ve come over light headed, dizzy, and sweating.
I’ve reduced my units of insulin for each dose morning, lunch & dinner.

I’d be really grateful for any advice from members regarding hypo’s and dealing with them. I’ve been out on 2 occasions when these have happened. Therefore, causing me to feel all panicked.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Don't panic, hypos are a pain but manageable, specially once you recognise the symptoms.

Rule number one, always have some "instant" fast acting carbohydrate with you when out and about, glucose tablets are ideal but some people manage fine with things like jelly babies.

If you drive, you need to do a blood test before you get behind the wheel, as obviously having a hypo when driving is incredibly dangerous. (If you're on insulin, you'll also need to inform the driving licensing authority - you should keep your license but they get you to renew it every couple of years so that they can check you're still safe to drive.)

Did you get a chance to do a blood test when you experienced your hypos? (If your blood sugar has been running high for a long while, it's possible to get "false hypos" at normal blood sugar levels - these will eventually stop happening once your body gets used to having normal levels.)

Here's a link to the help on hypos from this site (hopefully it works for you - it was hanging when I tried it...)
https://hypoglycemia.uk/

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't panic, hypos are a pain but manageable, specially once you recognise the symptoms.

Rule number one, always have some "instant" fast acting carbohydrate with you when out and about, glucose tablets are ideal but some people manage fine with things like jelly babies.

If you drive, you need to do a blood test before you get behind the wheel, as obviously having a hypo when driving is incredibly dangerous. (If you're on insulin, you'll also need to inform the driving licensing authority - you should keep your license but they get you to renew it every couple of years so that they can check you're still safe to drive.)

Did you get a chance to do a blood test when you experienced your hypos? (If your blood sugar has been running high for a long while, it's possible to get "false hypos" at normal blood sugar levels - these will eventually stop happening once your body gets used to having normal levels.)

Here's a link to the help on hypos from this site (hopefully it works for you - it was hanging when I tried it...)
https://hypoglycemia.uk/

Thanks for you’re reply. The hypo’s seem to be happening about 15- 20 mins after I’ve admistered my insulin. The guidelines I’ve been given is to eat about 15min after doing the insulin.

On Thursday I admistered my insulin, waited 15mins then had something to eat. Then after I finished eating the hypo seem to start. I sorted my driving license as soon as I went onto insulin. No problem there

Then on other days the hypo’s have been rather immediate after I’ve done my insulin. I’ve got hypo supplies in the car,and dotted around the house. I always have my testing kits close by whether in the house or out and about

Thank for the link, I’ll take a look.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Libby3781 - I'm not on insulin, so have no personal expertise here, but I think in your shoes, I'd go into an intensive period of testing and recording of both my blood sugars, but also what I was eating and drinking, so that a meaningful discussion can take place with whoever helps you look after your insulin.
It could be that you need different doses of insulin with breakfast, lunch or dinner, or that the timing of your injection should be tweaked a bit.
I appreciate it's early days in your insulin use, but learning to carb count for your eating could further help match things up and give you more flexibility for the days when you want to eat more or less than usual, for whatever reason.

Reactions: Libby3781

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Hi Libby3781,
Novorapid is a fast acting insulin and food should be eaten immediately after injection, or even slightly before in your case? Normally the only reason to delay or split doses is when the meal is high fat/protein which could delay the body's response to insulin.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been on Levemir since June & NovoRapid since September.

The Levemir is doing what’s required overnight. I’m on 38 units of that.

I’m still working on my NovoRapid units.

Unfortunately tho this week, I’ve started having hypo’s. These only happened when I increased the NovoRapid to 20 units, 3 times daily.

I’ve never experienced them before, all of a sudden I’ve come over light headed, dizzy, and sweating.
I’ve reduced my units of insulin for each dose morning, lunch & dinner.

I’d be really grateful for any advice from members regarding hypo’s and dealing with them. I’ve been out on 2 occasions when these have happened. Therefore, causing me to feel all panicked.
Im type 1 diabetic and used Novorapid for many years, its a fast acting insulin and is usually used along with carbohydrate counting. 20 units per meal seems like an awful lot. You may have started experiencing hypos now if you have cut the amount of carbs you have per meal. Really you should get the basal dosage correct and then administer novorapid (bolus) based on what and how much you are eating, not a flat rate. Using a flat rate will undoubtedly give you hypos.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi @Libby3781, I don't know if this is relevant as I am T1, I use Levemir but split the dose, am and pm, as I find it doesn't last a full 24 hours.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey @Libby3781 I have been on novorapid for 14 years and I think it’s the best.
How long have you been diabetic? If you’d like to private message I can help you to basic carb count to tweek your dosage. I ‘guesstimated’ for many years and experienced un countable amounts of hypos.
I’ve also devised my own diary that helps work out and differentiate between all your readings that I think you’d find extremely useful...
20 units per meal is extremely high even for me with the poorest of diets
Lauren x