Please help me.. iam new.. need advice

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ohh i see.... thanks for this knowdelge... it means i need to add meat chicken milk or something with protein. Am not starving with my present diet even after starting glucophase i feel full and dont feel like to eat. I usually eat pop corn and dry peanuts also in night. As my cholesterol is high i read on google that dry peanut helps to reduce cholestrol

I would be very careful with peanuts, and I would never eat pop corn (far too many carbs in pop corn), and not too much milk.. If you have a look at the dietdoctor website you will see which foods will help you, and which your body is unlikely to be able to cope with. You need meat and fish (freshly cooked, not coated in breadcrumbs or batter), cheese, eggs, cream, butter.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodtoavoid

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

torchman2

No i didn't increase my fats or protein intake but i do cheat some times.
Try small, consistent meals, with a small amount of carbs per meal (like 20-40 grams of slowly-digesting carbs). Have a mix of fat, protein and carbs. Aim for 1200-1500 calories in a day and eat like this for a few weeks and see what happens. No point in going extreme straight away.

Eating 500 calories a day is starving yourself, even if you don't feel hungry. Stress hormones hide your appetite. When you don't eat enough calories, your body releases stress hormones to break down fat and muscle.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm not happy... but i know its all because of me and my eating habits... i am the culprit for this condition.

Okay, NO. You didn't do this to yourself. You didn't know you couldn't digest carbs right, so there's no blaming yourself here, okay? Now you know, so now you can do something about it. And there's a whole lot of information coming at you right now, with a whole lot of numbers and whatnot... But especially at the start, try and keep it simple, because otherwise you're just going to feel trapped by this whole new lifestyle and way of eating, and if that's the case, if all the JOY of food is being sucked out of it, this isn't something you'll be able to keep up.

So... Forget cholesterol, calories and whatnot for a moment. (If anyone decides to give me a hard time for this, too bad. And yeah, I'd go for keto rather than a moderate LCHF because of the PCOS. If anyone wants to challenge me on that, fine, but it's HARD for a woman to hear she has to jump through hoops to get pregnant. Keto could help, where LCHF would be a slower process.) I'll keep it relatively simple, but if you want to know more, and when *you* feel you can handle more info, because you're getting an avelanche of it right now, and a lot of it slightly contradictory, do pick up Dr. Jason Fung's books. The Diabetes Code is a great place to start. The guy's a brilliant doctor.

But here's the basics: There are 3 macro nutrients: proteine, carbs and fats. If you take less of one, up the others. That way you don't become malnourished, still feel full, and keep from becoming vitamin and mineral deficient. As you can't process carbs (and thus, glucose) effectively anymore, you preferably up the fats. Yeah, fats. If you worry about cholesterol, 80% of it is actually made by our own bodies, 20% is what we eat. Once I started my diet I lowered my cholesterol, after it went up for a tiny little bit: If you lose weight, the stuff that's stored ends up in your bloodstream for a while on the way out, and you want it to leave your system... So don't worry if you go up a tiny bit for a while; it will pass. (I mean, i'm eating eggs and bacon every day. And my cholesterol is waaay better than it used to be, without statins!) So, back to diet. You're prediabetic, so you don't need to go as low carb as a T2 advisably would. BUT, taking into account you want to tackle your PCOS as well, I'd say, consider going keto. That means going so very low carb (less than 20 grams a day) that your body enters ketosis. That means it starts burning (body)fats rather than carbs for energy. If you don't want to go that far, try eating 50, 75 or 100 grams of carbs a day, which won't get you into ketosis, but will make your bloodsugars improve.

So, what foods should you avoid? Anything made with wheat/grain, so bread, chapati (I'm probably spelling that wrong, sorry), rice, peanuts, corn, pasta/noodles, potatoes, cereal/muesli, fruit, save for avocado, berries and tomatoes. Stuff that won't make you spike: eggs, meat, fish, poultry, cheese, butter, full fat greek yoghurt, cream, above-ground veggies and leafy greens, nuts, olives, extra dark chocolate, mushrooms etc. Dietdoctor.com has a whole lot of visual guides for foodtypes and what have you, so you really want to have a look around there. You don't have to become a paying member to have access to their nuggets of wisdom and meal ideas.

If you cut a lot of carbs in one go you could experience keto-flu, which really does feel like the flu... Muscles and joints get achey, headaches and such might occus, as your body purges itself from carbs and such. You want to up the salt intake while that happens, as you'll lose a lot of water weight (carbs hold on to water), and you might feel a little dehydrated. Bone broth and coconut milk could help with that, replenishing the electrolytes you lose. It could last anywhere from a few days to a week or two, but after that, you'll feel so much better. But it's all up to you. You decide what you do. Always keep that in mind. I'd advise a meter, so you can see what's happening with your bloodglucose (Testing before a meal and 2 hours after. If you go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, it was carbier than your body could handle). It'd help you decide what's right for you to do, how far to go, what works for you.

Take care of you!
Jo

Tamanna

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would be very careful with peanuts, and I would never eat pop corn (far too many carbs in pop corn), and not too much milk.. If you have a look at the dietdoctor website you will see which foods will help you, and which your body is unlikely to be able to cope with. You need meat and fish (freshly cooked, not coated in breadcrumbs or batter), cheese, eggs, cream, butter.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodtoavoid

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

thank you so much for the above mentioned links. it really helped me out. thanks a lot but as far as peanuts and pop corn is concern i read alot about this on google and it says its the best snacks with low calories and low carbohydrates even for dry peanuts its mentioned its best for reducing your cholesterol. am i doing wrong with eating this ?

Tamanna

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okay, NO. You didn't do this to yourself. You didn't know you couldn't digest carbs right, so there's no blaming yourself here, okay? Now you know, so now you can do something about it. And there's a whole lot of information coming at you right now, with a whole lot of numbers and whatnot... But especially at the start, try and keep it simple, because otherwise you're just going to feel trapped by this whole new lifestyle and way of eating, and if that's the case, if all the JOY of food is being sucked out of it, this isn't something you'll be able to keep up.

So... Forget cholesterol, calories and whatnot for a moment. (If anyone decides to give me a hard time for this, too bad. And yeah, I'd go for keto rather than a moderate LCHF because of the PCOS. If anyone wants to challenge me on that, fine, but it's HARD for a woman to hear she has to jump through hoops to get pregnant. Keto could help, where LCHF would be a slower process.) I'll keep it relatively simple, but if you want to know more, and when *you* feel you can handle more info, because you're getting an avelanche of it right now, and a lot of it slightly contradictory, do pick up Dr. Jason Fung's books. The Diabetes Code is a great place to start. The guy's a brilliant doctor.

But here's the basics: There are 3 macro nutrients: proteine, carbs and fats. If you take less of one, up the others. That way you don't become malnourished, still feel full, and keep from becoming vitamin and mineral deficient. As you can't process carbs (and thus, glucose) effectively anymore, you preferably up the fats. Yeah, fats. If you worry about cholesterol, 80% of it is actually made by our own bodies, 20% is what we eat. Once I started my diet I lowered my cholesterol, after it went up for a tiny little bit: If you lose weight, the stuff that's stored ends up in your bloodstream for a while on the way out, and you want it to leave your system... So don't worry if you go up a tiny bit for a while; it will pass. (I mean, i'm eating eggs and bacon every day. And my cholesterol is waaay better than it used to be, without statins!) So, back to diet. You're prediabetic, so you don't need to go as low carb as a T2 advisably would. BUT, taking into account you want to tackle your PCOS as well, I'd say, consider going keto. That means going so very low carb (less than 20 grams a day) that your body enters ketosis. That means it starts burning (body)fats rather than carbs for energy. If you don't want to go that far, try eating 50, 75 or 100 grams of carbs a day, which won't get you into ketosis, but will make your bloodsugars improve.

So, what foods should you avoid? Anything made with wheat/grain, so bread, chapati (I'm probably spelling that wrong, sorry), rice, peanuts, corn, pasta/noodles, potatoes, cereal/muesli, fruit, save for avocado, berries and tomatoes. Stuff that won't make you spike: eggs, meat, fish, poultry, cheese, butter, full fat greek yoghurt, cream, above-ground veggies and leafy greens, nuts, olives, extra dark chocolate, mushrooms etc. Dietdoctor.com has a whole lot of visual guides for foodtypes and what have you, so you really want to have a look around there. You don't have to become a paying member to have access to their nuggets of wisdom and meal ideas.

If you cut a lot of carbs in one go you could experience keto-flu, which really does feel like the flu... Muscles and joints get achey, headaches and such might occus, as your body purges itself from carbs and such. You want to up the salt intake while that happens, as you'll lose a lot of water weight (carbs hold on to water), and you might feel a little dehydrated. Bone broth and coconut milk could help with that, replenishing the electrolytes you lose. It could last anywhere from a few days to a week or two, but after that, you'll feel so much better. But it's all up to you. You decide what you do. Always keep that in mind. I'd advise a meter, so you can see what's happening with your bloodglucose (Testing before a meal and 2 hours after. If you go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, it was carbier than your body could handle). It'd help you decide what's right for you to do, how far to go, what works for you.

Take care of you!
Jo

Dear i am so much thank full to you. you always give a detail long replies and the most satisfying one. thank you for motivating me. my husband is very supportive whenever i blame my self he pampered me and says its not your fault. but i want to treat my PCOS and my pre diabetic sugar phase back to normal so that i can give him happiness of becoming father. please pray that i could get succeeded in this. If you dont mind can i asked you more about keto diet ? as i read that ones to stop keto diet you again gain all ur lose weight back. is it true ? and for lowering cholesterol dry peanuts are best option but should i avoid eating this ? should i avoid taking stress for my cholesterol ? should i only focus on my blood sugar levels ? there is a lot of information and every body is advising a different things am just drain out. maybe am thinking too much. there is one more question which disturbs me a lot... this was my initiative that i took and decide lets take a followup for PCOS before planning to conceive and in this followup i come to know that i am diabetic or pre diabetic ( its just a labelled doesn't make any difference ). but what disturbs me is what if i didn't went for this followup ? my diabetic will be un-diagnosed ? because i dont have any symptoms ? is it possible to have diabetic and high cholesterol without any symptoms ? no weight gain , no weight lose , no sweating , no frequent urination, no delay healing nothing. its like i went for a random follow up and end up in diabetic how come ? i dont know how come ? am i over thinking it ? or maybe am still in denial phase :(

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear i am so much thank full to you. you always give a detail long replies and the most satisfying one. thank you for motivating me. my husband is very supportive whenever i blame my self he pampered me and says its not your fault. but i want to treat my PCOS and my pre diabetic sugar phase back to normal so that i can give him happiness of becoming father. please pray that i could get succeeded in this. If you dont mind can i asked you more about keto diet ? as i read that ones to stop keto diet you again gain all ur lose weight back. is it true ? and for lowering cholesterol dry peanuts are best option but should i avoid eating this ? should i avoid taking stress for my cholesterol ? should i only focus on my blood sugar levels ? there is a lot of information and every body is advising a different things am just drain out. maybe am thinking too much. there is one more question which disturbs me a lot... this was my initiative that i took and decide lets take a followup for PCOS before planning to conceive and in this followup i come to know that i am diabetic or pre diabetic ( its just a labelled doesn't make any difference ). but what disturbs me is what if i didn't went for this followup ? my diabetic will be un-diagnosed ? because i dont have any symptoms ? is it possible to have diabetic and high cholesterol without any symptoms ? no weight gain , no weight lose , no sweating , no frequent urination, no delay healing nothing. its like i went for a random follow up and end up in diabetic how come ? i dont know how come ? am i over thinking it ? or maybe am still in denial phase :(
Hi again,

There's a lengthy private message in your inbox, and I hope that answered some questions for you, but here's some more: If I were to stop keto, I'd still eat low carb, because I have reason to do so. If people just want to lose weight fast, they can use keto as a crash diet, but yes, if they start eating normally again after that, the weight piles back on. You, however, want to treat your bloodsugars and PCOS, so even if you'd stop eating a ketogenic diet, you'd still need to eat low carb (somewhere between 50 and 100 grams of carbs a day, or thereabouts) to keep your bloodsugars and PCOS in order, and maintain the desired weight. That, or medication, of course. Or the combination of the two. As for diabetes, I went undiagnosed for years. I did have some symptoms eventually, but they looked like symptoms of my other medical issues, so I tried to treat them, and it didn't help at all. Quite a few people here were a-symptomatic and got diagnosed entirely by coincidence too. For you, that's a good thing. If nothing's bothering you yet, then there hasn't been years and years of damage done to your eyes, kidneys and whatnot... If you're feeling fine, otherwise... You're still quite ahead of this! And that's a good place to be in.

Hope all this helps.
Jo

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you so much for the above mentioned links. it really helped me out. thanks a lot but as far as peanuts and pop corn is concern i read alot about this on google and it says its the best snacks with low calories and low carbohydrates even for dry peanuts its mentioned its best for reducing your cholesterol. am i doing wrong with eating this ?
Corn (and thus popcorn) is more than 60% carbs (So if you were to eat 100 grams, that would mean 60 grams would be carbs. That's more than I eat in 3 days). Depending on whether it's salted or caramelised ir could be even more. So it would, all in all, not be a good choice for a snack. Peanuts are 7 grams of carbs per 100 grams. That's still quite a bit, but not as bad as popcorn.

For the moment, forget about cholesterol. It's not as bad as it's been made out to be all this time, for one thing. For another, if you decide to go keto, it may go up a little at first when you start to lose weight, but then it'll come down. I was on statins to keep my cholesterol down, and I haven't used those in 2 years. Didn't need to, as it came down on my diet. Right now the most important thing is to get your bloodsugars and PCOS under control. The rest can come later. Prioritise. Because if you want to tackle everything all at once, it's just way too much in one go.

However... If you do want to do something about cholesterol regardless; foods that positively impact cholesterol are broccoli, tumeric, garlic, spinach, ginger, artichoke, rhubarb, tomatoes, avocado, indian gooseberry, tea, walnuts, olive oil, coconut oil, extra dark chocolate, cinnamon and fish. I had to look a load of those up because I don't use them all, but for me, a few of those are daily staples.

Take care!
Jo

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Cholesterol is NOT the issue ... carbs are

Tamanna

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Corn (and thus popcorn) is more than 60% carbs (So if you were to eat 100 grams, that would mean 60 grams would be carbs. That's more than I eat in 3 days). Depending on whether it's salted or caramelised ir could be even more. So it would, all in all, not be a good choice for a snack. Peanuts are 7 grams of carbs per 100 grams. That's still quite a bit, but not as bad as popcorn.

For the moment, forget about cholesterol. It's not as bad as it's been made out to be all this time, for one thing. For another, if you decide to go keto, it may go up a little at first when you start to lose weight, but then it'll come down. I was on statins to keep my cholesterol down, and I haven't used those in 2 years. Didn't need to, as it came down on my diet. Right now the most important thing is to get your bloodsugars and PCOS under control. The rest can come later. Prioritise. Because if you want to tackle everything all at once, it's just way too much in one go.

However... If you do want to do something about cholesterol regardless; foods that positively impact cholesterol are broccoli, tumeric, garlic, spinach, ginger, artichoke, rhubarb, tomatoes, avocado, indian gooseberry, tea, walnuts, olive oil, coconut oil, extra dark chocolate, cinnamon and fish. I had to look a load of those up because I don't use them all, but for me, a few of those are daily staples.

Take care!
Jo

thank you so much i have no words to thank you for all this... now i got this concept i should focus on 1 thing first. but my SGPT is also raise how will this get back to normal ?

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Tamanna

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again,

There's a lengthy private message in your inbox, and I hope that answered some questions for you, but here's some more: If I were to stop keto, I'd still eat low carb, because I have reason to do so. If people just want to lose weight fast, they can use keto as a crash diet, but yes, if they start eating normally again after that, the weight piles back on. You, however, want to treat your bloodsugars and PCOS, so even if you'd stop eating a ketogenic diet, you'd still need to eat low carb (somewhere between 50 and 100 grams of carbs a day, or thereabouts) to keep your bloodsugars and PCOS in order, and maintain the desired weight. That, or medication, of course. Or the combination of the two. As for diabetes, I went undiagnosed for years. I did have some symptoms eventually, but they looked like symptoms of my other medical issues, so I tried to treat them, and it didn't help at all. Quite a few people here were a-symptomatic and got diagnosed entirely by coincidence too. For you, that's a good thing. If nothing's bothering you yet, then there hasn't been years and years of damage done to your eyes, kidneys and whatnot... If you're feeling fine, otherwise... You're still quite ahead of this! And that's a good place to be in.

Hope all this helps.
Jo

you are right. am lucky that it got diagnosed at the right time. i will take this as an opportunity. thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you so much i have no words to thank you for all this... now i got this concept i should focus on 1 thing first. but my SGPT is also raise how will this get back to normal ?
Have you ever heard of Metabolic Syndrome? Most T2's have it. It's a combination of high bloodpressure, T2, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and high cholesterol. The raised SGPT could indicate some measure of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. And wahey, that ALSO gets better when you cut carbs. Mine's doing alright now. (And my liver was so densely packed with fat, they mistook it for cancer, at first). So that will get better too with a change in diet. :)

Tamanna

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you ever heard of Metabolic Syndrome? Most T2's have it. It's a combination of high bloodpressure, T2, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and high cholesterol. The raised SGPT could indicate some measure of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. And wahey, that ALSO gets better when you cut carbs. Mine's doing alright now. (And my liver was so densely packed with fat, they mistook it for cancer, at first). So that will get better too with a change in diet. :)

ohhh..... thanks... this is such a big relief after talking with u.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek