Diabetes.co.uk email depressing updates

Malcolm.Smith

I know topic on the forum are a great way to help and inform you on your diabetes control but pleeeeease why do all your email updates I get in my inbox want to make me slit my wrist? :( . They're always titled things like "Diabetes and blindness", "Diabetes and kidney failure". And the one I've just had popped into my inbox "Diabetes and life expectancy"!!! Good grief isnt there enough to worry about as it is without you emailing me all the time telling me I'm going to live on average 20 years less than everyone else or theres a huge chance I'll go bling or have my legs chopped off??!!!!. Why don't your main topic of discussion be mostly about the break throughs in treatment, give us some hope fro crying out loud :evil:
If someone wants to know what their life expectancy is with type 1 or 2 then they can find out here easily enough using the search tool.

Rant over :roll:

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
You could deselect the option to receive the e-mails, and the option is at the end of each one sent.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Malcom,

The trouble is that as much as they are depressing they serve as a warning and reminder of what uncontrolled or undiagnosed diabetes can do to the body. As hobs suggests, unsubscribe from them on the e-mail itself or on the User Control Panel should you wish to.
Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
For every 1 depressing item I read wherever it is from there are always other lighter items to lift my mood. Mind you I am an optomist so I just don't let it get me down. :D Life's too short.......
Ooops ! There I go, depressing myself again. :wink:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Todays e-mail was an absolute blinder:

Life expectancy (+win an iPod) :lol:

You just gotta have a sense of humour about it, mate. One of the greatest coping tools a diabetic can have is a low humour threshold! :wink:

benedict

Administrator
Sorry for the doom and gloom Malcolm :(

With Advent just around the corner, we decided to get some of the more depressing ones out of the way first. Perhaps it was bit too much doom and gloom in one space of time though.

Sadly diabetes and things going wrong seem all too closely linked to be ignored. The prevailing mood should, however, improve over the next few weeks.

You may pleased to know that the ipod comes pre-loaded with Blue Oyster Cult's 'Don't fear the Reaper' -sorry, only joking here.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
benedict said:
With Advent just around the corner, we decided to get some of the more depressing ones out of the way first. Perhaps it was bit too much doom and gloom in one space of time though.

OK then Benedict, any depressing e-mails on the run-up to Christmas and we will hold you personally responsible! :wink:

Nigel

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
benedict said:
You may pleased to know that the ipod comes pre-loaded with Blue Oyster Cult's 'Don't fear the Reaper' -sorry, only joking here.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
benedict said:

Great tune - but it needs more cowbell...

(Google needs more cowbell if you're up for a laugh!)

Malcolm.Smith

Yea I know I should take it with a pinch of salt....And I normally do, it just came at the wrong time I guess.
I normally take the **** out of situations that occur through my type one condition. Two weeks ago I had to have laser treatment on my eye and the surgeon had to leave the thearter after I made a comment about feeling like james bond in a situation against blowfelt........Noooo meester Bond I expect you to DIE!!! :p . I also used to call the convulsions I had when I used to get bad night hypos my "body popping episodes".. which didnt cheer me wife up much..funny that :roll: . I was alredy in a bad mood this morning having had my face stuffed in a fat mans armpit this morning on the tube on my way to work and my email was a reaction to my grumpyness.
I would turn off the email alerts but I tend to use them as a quick link to other things on this web site that I find helpfull and informative.
Sorry for the rant, I feel better now :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
malcolm.smith said:
Noooo meester Bond I expect you to DIE!!!

I can't believe I didn't think of that when I had my eyes lasered! :lol:

benedict

Administrator
I had to have laser treatment on my eye and the surgeon had to leave the thearter after I made a comment about feeling like james bond in a situation against blowfelt

I also used to call the convulsions I had when I used to get bad night hypos my "body popping episodes"

You have me in stitches Macolm :p

Having been through some pretty awful "body popping episodes" as well, I have to say you seem to have a very healthy outlook on this diabetes lark :)

Pumpkin

They are at it again: today's email from Diabetes Uk repeats the same headline.

Key Statistics on Diabetes[5], that the life expectancy of someone with type 2 diabetes is likely to be reduced, as a result of the condition, by up to 10 years. People with type 1 diabetes can expect their longevity to reduce by over 20 years.

Give it a rest please - don't rub it in....

C

catherinecherub

I do quite a lot of research on Diabetes, all types.

If I see something that I think will depress a lot of members then I don't post it after all this is a support forum.

If someone asks a question that is relevant to something I have seen they I will post.

If you read something in the Daily Fail it is not always worded as the research intended, (sometimes the researcher has not studied it enough), so you need to verify the source and get a more banced interpretation. Her is an example,
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionso ... index.html

jopar

If you find the e-mail depressing do as I did..

Go into your profile, select board preferances and where is says can Administrator E-Mail information select No.. Then you don't recieve them!

And if you failed to do this before being banned, then you just your the settings of your inbox, mark as spam so it goes into junk mail.. Delete without reading...

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The best thing that we can do is to look after ourselves as much as we can and all live to be 100 and prove them all wrong :lol:
CAROL

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
carty said:
The best thing that we can do is to look after ourselves as much as we can and all live to be 100 and prove them all wrong :lol:
CAROL

Don't say that Carol..............they'll increase the retirement age! :(

Nigel

arjster

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Sundays!
Today's email wasn't depressing - Bob has had diabetes for 85 years - it's quite an uplifting one, I thought!

C

catherinecherub

Did you read the article about Diabetes and LIfe expectancy? That is what people are commenting about.