Newcastle Diet to reverse type 2 diabetes

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
My dietician was of sick so I finally managed to see the actual diabetic dietician last week. It was good to talk to someone who knows what their talking about. I’m the wrong side of 50, obese and apple shape so all my weight is around my belly. I also have a inflamed fatty liver. So her advise was low carb or Newcastle diet which is 600-800 calorie diet for 12 weeks. This sends the body into Ketosis which encourages the body to burn fat around the organs instead of carbs. The other bonus is if I loose 14-15 kg in those 12 weeks it is possible to put type 2 into remission at the same time. I’ve opted to try the Newcastle diet and was advised to eat meal replacement items of 200 calories 3 times a day which has all the vitamin and minerals needed etc.
Has anyone else tried this?
I have completed my first week. Lost 5kg already.
The hardest thing has been walking into a supermarket or past the local takeaway and not been able to buy anything to eat.
I’ve not felt hungry. As I’ve drunk loads of water.
This not for the feint hearted.
I wouldn’t like to do this without the dietician and GP backing. At least I know if I get into trouble with it I can get support and advice.
Only 11 weeks to go.
If possible I’d like to hear from others who have done this as I’m going to need support from everyone around me.
Look forward to hearing from you
Magpie

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done.
It's amazing of you think about it, 15 kg must make a real difference.
Not only the obesity aspect of it but the pressure on your back, legs knees etc.
I carry 20 kg sacks of coal / sand / cement about, ok for a hundred yards, but a lifetime??
Keep at it.

Reactions: Serena51
M

Member496333

I’d be very concerned about long term slowdown of my BMR using an extreme calorie restriction approach. I’m sure it will work but I have to wonder what happens when you bounce back at the end of the period?

But that’s not to put too negative a spin on your treatment, I really hope it works for you. Keep the topic updated with your progress! :D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are plenty of members on here that have tried the Newcastle Diet. If you use the search box you will find lots of threads about it.

The main consideration is you really must plan what you are going to do at the end of it. This is vital. The best plan is to go low carb and not be tempted to eat too many, otherwise you could see all your hard work go down the drain. The ND is a quick fix, but requires a responsible eating plan after you finish. @Pipp is an expert on this diet.

Good luck.

Reactions: Member496333

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with Bluetit1802 that it's best overall to go straight to a low-carb approach as carbs are our problem. The ND will certainly help but as it focusses on calories you will tend to also reduce fats as they have twice the calories of carbs but fats aren't a problem for us.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Respect to you for having made a choice and for achieving such impressive results
I would agree that careful thought needs to be given to what follow on style of eating you will follow once you have completed the ND as weight regain would risk undoing your hard work.
There are debates about what post diet way of eating works best with opinion split betwee a mostly calorie based appoach ( 25% reduction in diagnosis level calorie intake) and varying degrees of carbohydrate restriction ( keto, low carb, moderate low carb etc). I havnt done ND so cant speak from personal experience but for me a combination of calorie and carb restriction works best for my diabetic control with stable weight but we are all different in regards to what works best.
Have a good read around before you make a decision about your follow on plan as it'll need to be a long term strategy

Last edited:
Reactions: Lily1042

torchman2

I’m the wrong side of 50, obese and apple shape so all my weight is around my belly. I also have a inflamed fatty liver. So her advise was low carb or Newcastle diet which is 600-800 calorie diet for 12 weeks.

Do you know how many calories you were eating before? Did you have any food plan, or were you just eating randomly before?

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's possible to lose weight and gain control over T2 without walking past food shops feeling unhappy. You just have to change what you buy.

There is tons of advice on here which will tell you how to do that or you might try dietdoctor.com. Daibell says 'fats aren't a problem for us', Bluetit1802 says 'what are you going to do at the end (of your diet)'. They're both right. Unfortunately if you've been relying on starving yourself or eating meal replacement items, what will happen at the end of your diet is well established - people generally put the weight back on. Jason Fung's 'the diabetes code' explains the problem and his book costs less than one good lunch.

I write from experience of using simple low carb approach - from my POV the simpler the better. Just this morning I was going through old clothes. I now fit into stuff I bought 20 years ago while I'm throwing away recent suits that look like clown clothes, they are so big on me. All with no pangs of hunger, no 'replacement meal items', and no diabetes drugs either nowadays. My overnight BG is still a bit high but I'm hoping that's going to reduce in time. Good luck.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are plenty of members on here that have tried the Newcastle Diet. If you use the search box you will find lots of threads about it.

The main consideration is you really must plan what you are going to do at the end of it. This is vital. The best plan is to go low carb and not be tempted to eat too many, otherwise you could see all your hard work go down the drain. The ND is a quick fix, but requires a responsible eating plan after you finish. @Pipp is an expert on this diet.

Good luck.
Sorry, I seem to have missed the alert for this. Thanks for tagging me, @Bluetit1802 , and for your belief that I am an expert in this. I would say that I am experienced in the ND methodology, having used it way back in 2011, before all recent research publications.

@Maggie/Magpie it is good that you have the support of your GP and dietician. It is quite extreme in some respect, and especially at this time of year when there is so much sociial expectation to party, and eat and drink to excess. With determination and supportive friends and family it can be done, but beware those who would sbotage your efforts.
I don't have a great deal to add to what others have said, but do tag me if you have a specific question.
I would caution you to read the relevant research papers ( link in my signature) . When I did the ND I used a total food replacement method. I think it much kinder to include the vegetable portions now recommended. Also, very important to include some oil with the veg, as this can prevent the growth of gallstones, which can occur with rapid weightloss.

I did achieve non diabetes blood glucose levels, which remained so for seven years. Only having had problems following need for steroid medication. I did lose 49kg, but over first 3 years post ND regained 20kg. I maintain weight by eating the low carb way for the last 3 or 4 years.

Best wishes for your continued success, and well done for your pragmatic approach.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do you know how many calories you were eating before? Did you have any food plan, or were you just eating randomly before?

Totally random I’m afraid had little control over anything. If nothing else this is giving me direction Maggie

Reactions: jjraak

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Good luck.

Hi blue tit. This is being closely monitored by the dietician. The plan is to do very low carb and introduce food very slowly after the 12 weeks so I don’t wreck the results from the Newcastle diet. So hopefully things will continue in a positive light.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry, I seem to have missed the alert for this. Thanks for tagging me, @Bluetit1802 , and for your belief that I am an expert in this. I would say that I am experienced in the ND methodology, having used it way back in 2011, before all recent research publications.

@Maggie/Magpie it is good that you have the support of your GP and dietician. It is quite extreme in some respect, and especially at this time of year when there is so much sociial expectation to party, and eat and drink to excess. With determination and supportive friends and family it can be done, but beware those who would sbotage your efforts.
I don't have a great deal to add to what others have said, but do tag me if you have a specific question.
I would caution you to read the relevant research papers ( link in my signature) . When I did the ND I used a total food replacement method. I think it much kinder to include the vegetable portions now recommended. Also, very important to include some oil with the veg, as this can prevent the growth of gallstones, which can occur with rapid weightloss.

I did achieve non diabetes blood glucose levels, which remained so for seven years. Only having had problems following need for steroid medication. I did lose 49kg, but over first 3 years post ND regained 20kg. I maintain weight by eating the low carb way for the last 3 or 4 years.

Best wishes for your continued success, and well done for your pragmatic approach.

Hi Pipp. I’ve been dieting since I was about 8 ( thanks to the old school system) so I’ve probably tried most ones going. I’m very good at sabotaging myself as I’m an emotional eater and binge eater. I’ve been floundering now for about two years trying to improve things and getting no ware. Also I’ve been lacking the motivation to take care of myself which includes what I’m eating. So this has given me something to latch on to. I was asked if I wanted to start it in the new year but I knew if I waited I would talk myself out of it. I shall be doing veg and protein only at Christmas as I’m staying with my daughters in London. They will make sure I don’t stray too much so hopefully I’ll be ok. Then after these 12weeks I’m going low carb and reduced calorie intake so I don’t put it all straight on again but keep loosing. So hopefully I will be ok.

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep posting and let us know how you are getting on, @Maggie/Magpie .
I did find that being in mild ketosis stopped me feeling hungry. I did attend several celebrations where food was a focus, including a weekend away with friends. It helps if your nearest and dearest are supprtive and understand what you are doing. I looked at the meal replacements as a sort of 'medication' to solve a medical issue. I did get one or two strange comments, but they were from people that I didn't much care for anyway.

Are you seeking help for the emotional issues you have with binge eating? It can help to have insight into reasons, and work out a strategy to recognise and avoid triggers.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Keep posting and let us know how you are getting on, @Maggie/Magpie .
I did find that being in mild ketosis stopped me feeling hungry. I did attend several celebrations where food was a focus, including a weekend away with friends. It helps if your nearest and dearest are supprtive and understand what you are doing. I looked at the meal replacements as a sort of 'medication' to solve a medical issue. I did get one or two strange comments, but they were from people that I didn't much care for anyway.

Are you seeking help for the emotional issues you have with binge eating? It can help to have insight into reasons, and work out a strategy to recognise and avoid triggers.

There’s not a lot of help to be had here unfortunately. I’ve asked for some more psychological therapy recently but was told there’s a two year waiting list. So I’ve asked to go on it. Will have to check if there’s anything else available when I next see my GP. But I am being careful and mindful.

torchman2

Totally random I’m afraid had little control over anything. If nothing else this is giving me direction Maggie

Well you may find that regularity and control (eating same time, same amounts, smaller meals), with a minor calorie deficit, is enough to create lasting changes.

Going to 800 calories is very extreme, and will cause metabolic rate problems.

It's the equivalent of never working out then going for 3 hours to the gym every day of the week. You may see short term results, but may cause significant long term issues.

lisa5466

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Feeling exhausted all the time
Hi Maggie, I’m starting ND today after four weeks of metformin and lchf getting me nowhere fast.
Day 1 177lbs and bg 10.0 (which is the lowest I’ve had so far)
I did this in 2013 and reversed my t2 diagnosis and then held it in remission for five years.
I fell off the wagon with a job change in 2016 and went downhill piling the weight back on and skipping exercise. Fed up with slow progress and 0lb weight loss so going to bite the bullet and do this. Keen to hear how you get on today?

Richard'63

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi
First post.
Can I pick up on the reversal / remission part of Maggie's post. If you can get to reversal how reversed is it? Would your body react to a sandwich or fish 'n chips the same as a non-diabetic, i.e. back to normal BG levels within a couple of hours? Or do you just have managed BG levels and still can't eat carbs?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Richard'63 and welcome,

There are as many ideas about what reversal means than there are members on this forum. For a diagnosed T2 diabetic it is perfectly possible to put yourself in remission, but it isn't a cure and probably never will be. Slide back into old eating habits and the diabetes comes back. You are a well controlled diabetic, currently in remission. Or at least that is how I look at it.