Metre Readings

H7DNA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV, Holidays and Family
Good Morning to all you wonderful people, seeking a little help???
had my meter since Friday have now committed to using it to eat, first reading ever was 26.6 and over first 3 days got down to 16.4 and now a steady 11.4 to 13.8 doing this around 4 times a day at the minute 1 in the morning before I eat anything which today was 11.4 and now just done one and all I have had today is 1 mug of black decaf coffee and reading is now 12,6 I can not seem to get lower than 11's - I also have Ulcerative Colitus hence why I don't eat first thing find it easier that way, yesterday ate very little for lunch just a slice of egg pork pie and I mean just a slice, for dinner roasted a slice of salmon and had that with a bit of broccoli. I have always been a big eater, to be fair love my food, is it possible that by not eating as much (what I am eating now is like fasting really I am hungry even now its only 11.50am I usually go till 1pm with a couple of coffees) so is it possible by not eating it is affecting my readings? I thought it would of dropped to under 10 at least by now?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Give it time. Can you check the packaging on the pork pie?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning to all you wonderful people, seeking a little help???
had my meter since Friday have now committed to using it to eat, first reading ever was 26.6 and over first 3 days got down to 16.4 and now a steady 11.4 to 13.8 doing this around 4 times a day at the minute 1 in the morning before I eat anything which today was 11.4 and now just done one and all I have had today is 1 mug of black decaf coffee and reading is now 12,6 I can not seem to get lower than 11's - I also have Ulcerative Colitus hence why I don't eat first thing find it easier that way, yesterday ate very little for lunch just a slice of egg pork pie and I mean just a slice, for dinner roasted a slice of salmon and had that with a bit of broccoli. I have always been a big eater, to be fair love my food, is it possible that by not eating as much (what I am eating now is like fasting really I am hungry even now its only 11.50am I usually go till 1pm with a couple of coffees) so is it possible by not eating it is affecting my readings? I thought it would of dropped to under 10 at least by now?
You're coming from very high numbers, and are making good progress, so my personal guess? Your liver is dumping glucose to compensate. It thinks you should be higher, because its used to higher numbers. That should get better after a while though, as it gets used to the new normal. Maybe have a bulletproof coffee in the morning? (Coffee with butter and coconut oil. Surprisingly good.). Might tell your liver to calm down some with the dumping.

You do know you don't have to go hungry, right? I had to look up the egg pork pie (the pie bit isn't exactly good for diabetics, guessing the egg and pork are okay, unless there's a lot added in there.), and the salmon and broccoli are absolutely fine. But you might want to eat more, if you stay hungry all the time. If, say, you had 3 or 4 scrambled eggs with a decent helping of bacon, high meat content sausages, cheese, black pudding, mushrooms...? Pile it on there if you like. You won't go hungry and it won't spike your bloodsugars. I usually have two bits of salmon (the ikea-sized ones) with dill and lemon juice, and broccoli or cauliflower-rice. But I put bacon and cheese in my veggies, because it helps to make me feel full. Just salmon and veggies won't fill me up, the bacon and cheese do that. You can still heap a plate, just do it with foods that are low carb! (And yeah, some foods are low carb, as long as they're eaten in moderation. But just read the labels. If it's okay at 200 grams and not at 400, you know how much to eat!)

Hope that helps!
Jo

Reactions: porl69 and H7DNA

H7DNA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV, Holidays and Family
Thanks for help makes sense and not so worried about high readings now

M

Member496333

You’ll be going some to beat me. Took me two years to fully figure everything out. Then I discovered this forum. Doh.

Just keep learning and plugging away. Baby steps. You can’t fix a condition overnight that took decades to develop :)

Reactions: bulkbiker

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From what you said about your meals yesterday, that is nowhere near enough food. You will starve yourself, which will not help your metabolism. Increase your protein - plenty of meat and fish, cheese and eggs. Eat plenty of good fats - dairy products such as real butter, cream, full fat yogurts, plus animal fats. Cook with animal fats or a little olive oil, and avoid all heavily processed foods like pork pies! Have you read any of the stuff on the dietdoctor website?

https://www.dietdoctor.com/

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodtoavoid

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I do not know anything about Coeliac's but there doesn't seem to be a lot of healthy fats there. If you're OK with fats try the Gala pie without the pastry and with a side order of cheese and maybe a green leafy salad. The salmon is a great source of protein, a couple of knobs of butter on top would help. Fats and protein satisfy the hunger.

It took the best part of a year for me to see decent fasting levels so just keep testing and recording and you'll get there.

Edited to add.
Sorry, UC rather than Coeliac.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetit1802

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are all still learning things, at whatever stage of the journey we're on, so well done you for getting a meter and your numbers lowering! You'll find out so many things you never knew as you progress.

I'm with everyone else - please eat more!

I have no experience with UC, so I don't know what effects eating in the morning does. But I have the very odd experience of if I don't eat in the morning that my numbers just rise and rise. And they start high in the morning for me to begin with. But if I eat, they drop dramatically. I know there's a proper explanation for this, but my general take on it is that it's just weird. And I know it happens, and have known for over a year... at it's now almost 1pm and guess what? I haven't eaten anything. I'm never hungry in the morning.

What we do with your learning is entirely up to us...:angelic:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on your reduction in numbers already, but as every one has said, no need to starve. If you get the balance right you can reduce levels and lose weight, if necessary, without feeling hungry.
Just to add to what has been said about liver dump or dawn phenomenon, here’s a little explaination from this website:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html