Doubting my HbA1c.

Peter Zoff

Hi all, my first question on the forum... hope this is the right place?

I am currently doubting my HbA1c results from this year and I'm wondering, can the result (3 results over 9 months) be wrong or skewed by other medication, anxiety or any other factors. My doctor says it is accurate but I have read that HbA1c is not always accurate.

My HbA1c was 48 in January 2018, 46 in July and is now currently 42 which is the lowest it has ever been.
My cholesterol is 3.1 which fantastic and my doctor is really pleased with.
Currently my body mass index is 24.5 which is just in the normal range but it has generally been around 25-26 which is overweight for my size (5'5").

This year has been incredibly stressful, my anxiety was out of control until a few months ago when the Sertraline started to work.
A symptom of my anxiety is that I have become virtually unable to see the positive in matters. I am constantly doubting my HbA1c and my cholesterol to the point that I think the readings are incorrect. This past year we have bought a house and our lifestyle has changed again and we are eating much better and I only drink socially, maybe once every fortnight or even less. I am not being an angel, and I'm not sure that I can reconcile the great results with my diet. Because of an injury to my shin I have not been able to go running for over 6 months so when I add it all up it does not make me believe my results.

I have read that Sertraline can skew blood readings but of the plethora of articles I have read, none of them state whether Sertraline increases or lowers readings.
I don't take any of the other medications that NICE say alter HbA1c readings.

Has anybody had misleading HbA1c readings? Can they be vastly wrong, slightly wrong or am I simply letting my anxiety get the better of me?

Thanks in advance... have a bonza weekend :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Well, your HBA1c's seem to VERY good, gradually dropping by 2 points on both of them. Seem to be doing all the right things......congratulations are in order

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree - why doubt them - they're pretty good and they're decreasing nice and steadily.

What do you think they should be?

Robbity

speedboy21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine Last week was 89. Also my finger prick was 22.9 last night. Seeing Nurse tomorrow :-(

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, my first question on the forum... hope this is the right place?

I am currently doubting my HbA1c results from this year and I'm wondering, can the result (3 results over 9 months) be wrong or skewed by other medication, anxiety or any other factors. My doctor says it is accurate but I have read that HbA1c is not always accurate.

My HbA1c was 48 in January 2018, 46 in July and is now currently 42 which is the lowest it has ever been.
My cholesterol is 3.1 which fantastic and my doctor is really pleased with.
Currently my body mass index is 24.5 which is just in the normal range but it has generally been around 25-26 which is overweight for my size (5'5").

This year has been incredibly stressful, my anxiety was out of control until a few months ago when the Sertraline started to work.
A symptom of my anxiety is that I have become virtually unable to see the positive in matters. I am constantly doubting my HbA1c and my cholesterol to the point that I think the readings are incorrect. This past year we have bought a house and our lifestyle has changed again and we are eating much better and I only drink socially, maybe once every fortnight or even less. I am not being an angel, and I'm not sure that I can reconcile the great results with my diet. Because of an injury to my shin I have not been able to go running for over 6 months so when I add it all up it does not make me believe my results.

I have read that Sertraline can skew blood readings but of the plethora of articles I have read, none of them state whether Sertraline increases or lowers readings.
I don't take any of the other medications that NICE say alter HbA1c readings.

Has anybody had misleading HbA1c readings? Can they be vastly wrong, slightly wrong or am I simply letting my anxiety get the better of me?

Thanks in advance... have a bonza weekend :)
If they varied wildly for no reason, I'd be suspicious.... But from where I'm standing, you're doing pretty good. Take a breath. And take a moment to realise there are people here who think you should be proud of yourself. ;)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why would you doubt them unless you've been getting finger prick blood test results that are wildly out from what a hba1c converts to for average BG tests?

Obviously there are factors that can and do affect the accuracy of the test, the life span of your red blood cells have a direct affect as does things like iron deficiency, sickle cell etc, but these can be negated by a fructose test (?) I think.

However as your hba1c tests stand you are doing brilliantly.