Hi, just started testing.

M

Member496333

You need to see your doctor. Sorry, but the sooner you get this sorted, the better.

I’m in agreement. Regrettably it would appear OP is diabetic or at least in the “prediabetes” category. Certainly some form of insulin dysfunction. Definitely need to go see a doctor.

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another test three and half hours later and level has jumped to 13.1! Nothing to eat since last test.

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Drank a pint of water, have been wandering around the house as the rain is chucking it down.

Test four and a half hours after lunch and level has dropped to 5.6.

Can level fall this quickly?

Have checked my surgery website, a nurse practitioner runs the diabetes clinics, not phoned yet.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It does sound as if it fell rather quickly. Maybe a stupid question, but did you wash your hands right before testing? Did you try a 2nd test right after the first? It could be a rogue strip - or finger. That happened to me. From 8 to 6ish in less than one minute.

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Washed my hands, think I used different finger..

Didn't think to do second test last time.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Drank a pint of water, have been wandering around the house as the rain is chucking it down.

Test four and a half hours after lunch and level has dropped to 5.6.

Have checked my surgery website, a nurse practitioner runs the diabetes clinics, not phoned yet.

Yes, it can drop quickly. Mine drops like a stone sometimes. I would hazard a guess that your body was swimming in insulin.

If the test of 13.1 was a corrupted reading, for whatever reason, you may have been a lot lower at the 3 hour mark, but as you didn't re-test you will never know.

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was definitely clammy feeling, so bit of a coincidence. I can't put my finger on it but feel different now to what I did an hour ago..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was definitely clammy feeling, so bit of a coincidence. I can't put my finger on it but feel different now to what I did an hour ago..

OK but you need to see the doctor/nurse. You need an HbA1c. If it turns out you are diabetic you need to be on the register so you can receive regular blood tests, health and medication reviews with the nurse, foot checks and retinal eye screening. These are all vital.

Reactions: Naff-Off-Sugar

torchman2

Breakfast - Used to have porridge, but stopped a few years ago as didn't feel great afterwards. Now usually just have a couple of slices of bread/marmalade with coffee.

Lunch - Soup and a sandwich or poached eggs on toast or a salad during the summer.

Dinner - The usual 3 veg with meat.

Between meal snacking a couple of biscuits with a coffee. Have stopped the biscuits since I started testing.

Very rarely drink alcohol.

Your breakfast has zero protein, your lunch has very little (soup and sandwich), 2 eggs have about 12 grams of protein. The coffee can set off BG issues especially without balanced meals.

So possibly by 5/6pm you've only had 15 grams of protein in a day. Your liver needs protein to clear toxins, and the liver is the main driver of glucose management in the body. Lunch you are also having bread (sandwich, or toast).

Bread makes me spike to high numbers (10+ often with bread), yet my hba1c is normal range. Root vegetables don't make me peak beyond 7 (soups are slightly worse than whole root veg, since the glucose hits the blood quicker), even if having 200grams in a sitting.

I'm sure people will suggest straightaway going low carb, but once you start this, it's very hard to come off, and leaves you nowhere to go.

I would suggest having more protein at breakfast and lunch (greek yogurt, cottage cheese, some meat), and swapping bread for some other slower digesting carb.

If this doesn't work, then you can go more to proper low carb.

For some reason, bread is the main culprit for me. Replacing coffee and biscuits with a small, mixed snack in the afternoon would help with balancing sugars, too.

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pre dinner I've dropped to 4.3. Lowest reading I've had since I started testing yesterday lunch time.

I've had plain chicken, no sauce etc., with a smaller portion of mashed potato than I usually have and green beans, carrot. See what happens. A mug of black weak tea. Nothing else.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Pre dinner I've dropped to 4.3.

I've had plain chicken, no sauce etc., with a smaller portion of mashed potato than I usually have and green beans, carrot. See what happens. A mug of black weak tea. Nothing else.

I anticipate a rise because of the mashed potato (much worse than roasted, fried or boiled), and carrots. The green beans may or may not be OK. I hope you added plenty of butter to your veg and no gravy.

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I anticipate a rise because of the mashed potato (much worse than roasted, fried or boiled), and carrots. The green beans may or may not be OK. I hope you added plenty of butter to your veg and no gravy.

No gravy and lots of margarine in the potato.

If diabetes is diagnosed, a new diet will be required.

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Before dinner 4.3
1hr after 6.1
2hr after 5.5
3hr after 5.6

Not much reaction this time? Now I’m baffled. More protein in my diet might sort me out?

Last edited: