What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast - Hi lo toast and butter
Lunch - Bresaola, Bell peppers stuffed with cheese, olives, cucumber and cherry tomatoes. Last of home made l/c brownie with raspberries and extra rich cream.
Dinner - Roasted red darling sprouts and pancetta, cauliflower cheese. 90% Lindt chocolate.
Snacks - Hickory smoked nuts.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Boo1979 thinking of you and your mum - it’s so complex caring for elderly relatives - that mix of emotions - love, anxiety, compassion, frustration, mixed in with sheer hard work! My mum is with me at moment which is slightly easier than being at a distance but love and anxiety are still intermingled! Hope you remember to look after yourself too.
No breakfast today felt full and a bit panicky after a dream that included me eating loads of quality street! Triggered by programme about quality street factory yesterday evening that mum wanted to watch! Luckily don’t have any in house so wasn’t sleepwalking!
Lunch home made soup and lc cheese scone
Dinner lamb chop, cauliflower cheese and mushrooms with glass of red wine. Coffee and advent calendar choc planned for later.
Hope everyone has a good evening. Hoping mum well enough in am for a shopping trip but will need to play it by ear - she’s had a relaxing resting day today so crossing fingers.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very very very weird day with a series of absurd interactions and computer insanities.
Feeling like a limp rag after 2 yes 2!!! trips to get a glitch sorted, and 5 yes 5!!! long phone calls.

I fully appreciate that IT professionals are probably bored to tears by non IT numties like me, but sometimes, just sometimes they might save a little time by listening when someone says ‘yes, 2 other people already eliminated that’.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Eventually they gave up and issued me a replacement, which then took 90 mins to set up, and then all 5 phone calls and a return visit to correct the errors made during the initial setup...

I got so frustrated that I stressed myself into a hypo (should have had breakfast, shouldn’t I?)

So:
Brunch was 2 x Maccies cheeseburgers, no bun, no fries. Not enough. Should have had carbs. Took too long to come back up.
Then a herb tea at 3pm
Very LC Sausages at 6pm
Will definitely have some yog later. With cocoa and cream.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
@Boo1979 I’m not surprised your bg had risen, what a stressful time you’re having. You’ve done brilliantly in not reaching for the nearest high carb snack food. I hope your mum improves soon.
@shelley262 I probably shouldn’t laugh but I loved your dream about eating loads of Quality Street!
@Brunneria I feel your pain very much. Hope you are ok now.

Brunch: After exercise class - scrambled egg, smoked salmon and avocado. Coffee&cream
Snack: one of the coconut bites I made today - very very good, if a bit messy to put the chocolate coating on. Recipe says 1.5 g carb each but using Callebaut not the 85% chocolate, mine were less than 1g each.
Dinner: Plaice fried in butter green beans and another coconut bite. Coffee&cream

https://www.nlckitchen.com/recipe/coconut-bites/
IMG_6192.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Tea
Dockey : Green tea; Cocoa
Lunch : Tea
Afternoon: Coffee and 5 Dr Almond Christmas cookies with triple 0 stevia vanilla "icing sugar"
Evening meal: Fagot; braised red cabbage; swede and celeriac mash; portobello mushrooms;
The food did a job - not sure what job - but a job of some kind.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
@Boo1979 I’m not surprised your bg had risen, what a stressful time you’re having. You’ve done brilliantly in not reaching for the nearest high carb snack food. I hope your mum improves soon.
@shelley262 I probably shouldn’t laugh but I loved your dream about eating loads of Quality Street!
@Brunneria I feel your pain very much. Hope you are ok now.

Brunch: After exercise class - scrambled egg, smoked salmon and avocado. Coffee&cream
Snack: one of the coconut bites I made today - very very good, if a bit messy to put the chocolate coating on. Recipe says 1.5 g carb each but using Callebaut not the 85% chocolate, mine were less than 1g each.
Dinner: Plaice fried in butter green beans and another coconut bite. Coffee&cream

https://www.nlckitchen.com/recipe/coconut-bites/
View attachment 30115
Just wow!

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. I’m 48hrs into no metformin and pleased to report so far that my appetite still seems as it was - sure it’ll take longer for them to get fully out of my system but it has been worrying me that they were what we’re stopping me from snacking or overeating.
Breakfast - 2 cups tea and my usual protein peanut and chocolate bar
Lunch - large cappuccino
Dinner - halved and de-seeded a pepper then roasted it and stuffed both halves with leftover chilli from last night and melted lots of cheese on top. Will indulge later either in 2squares 85% cocoa dark chocolate or a cup of cocoa - haven’t decided yet

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
C5C76675-0BC4-4CDD-8C0D-AED569EDAF21.jpeg
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: chicken and pistachios with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: lemon chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: spag bog with courgetti in place of spaghetti followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Then I’d made some LC mini vanilla muffins this afternoon to go in the bottom of a low sugar trifle at Xmas and to make mini Victoria sandwiches with cream and chia raspberry jam. As per most of my Xmas prep one didn’t make it into the freezer this evening!

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Emma_369
I understand it can take a few weeks (3?) for metformin to build up, or subside in the systems.
So i would give it a while til you consider yourself clear of it.
Hope that helps.
Very useful thank you! So need To see what the new year brings then really. As if January isn’t exciting enough :rolleyes:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 30118 Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: chicken and pistachios with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: lemon chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: spag bog with courgetti in place of spaghetti followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Then I’d made some LC mini vanilla muffins this afternoon to go in the bottom of a low sugar trifle at Xmas and to make mini Victoria sandwiches with cream and chia raspberry jam. As per most of my Xmas prep one didn’t make it into the freezer this evening!

Ah I meant to ask you what recipe you use for an ordinary vanilla sponge? I want some for lc trifles too. These look great

Reactions: zauberflote

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Boo1979 , I hope your mum is better soon.
@Tori71 I like the look of the red sprouts.
@DJC3 I could almost develop a sweet tooth, having seen those coconut chocolate bites.
@maglil55 I recommend ginger for the throat, in tea, or strong drink, whatever it takes! @ziggy_w I am cautiously stating that I do feel I am winning in the lurgy war.
Slept late, lounged about, then nipped to Tesco and snapped up the bargain veg on offer. Lots of soup making going on, and cauliflower cheese . The soups will have plenty of pepper and chilli as further weapons in the lurgy fight. I cancelled a social meal out tonight, partly to keep any lurgy germs to myself. Friends don't want this for Christmas. Also because with already raw throat, I don't fancy being exposed to the lurgies others are incubating.
Late brunch : Greek yogurt coffee
Afternoon: celery, as I was preparing some for stock, with peanut butter. Ginger tea.
Dinner: salmon , cream cheese, broccoli, more ginger tea. Mineral water.
Before bedtime, I will have almond milk, warmed with turmeric and ginger.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all for the hugs & kind words.
Looks like Ill be going up north tommorrow as carer reports mum is still quite wobbly on her feet, but massively improved from where she was yesterday
Seeing my muffin recipe reminds me that I must indulde in some batch baking alongside the planned soup feste.
Funny seeing my old avatar - first thought when I saw it was “ whos been down Brick lane snapping my picture?” Both my avatars are the result of photo mooching down brick lane, maybe Ill use another one for 2019 - Ive got a fair few, fab places fo taking photos
Heres a few possibilities and a couple of non brick lane ones - can you tell Im engaging in serious diversionary activity!

Attachments

• BF5EB56E-5783-4355-878B-98E8E81F8217.jpeg
    BF5EB56E-5783-4355-878B-98E8E81F8217.jpeg
    434.4 KB · Views: 118
  • D5B44451-BE04-413D-9766-CF5B3329EC64.jpeg
    D5B44451-BE04-413D-9766-CF5B3329EC64.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 135
  • E894CCE4-CAE0-42C2-9F47-6908A42A0717.jpeg
    E894CCE4-CAE0-42C2-9F47-6908A42A0717.jpeg
    351 KB · Views: 137
  • E0E51AC6-2BC2-496F-A495-45E627CC946C.jpeg
    E0E51AC6-2BC2-496F-A495-45E627CC946C.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 115
  • AE67DA52-026A-4B94-959D-D513CC72DA99.jpeg
    AE67DA52-026A-4B94-959D-D513CC72DA99.jpeg
    494 KB · Views: 122
  • 410378EB-0A25-4F09-8B70-4690BB1CA25B.jpeg
    410378EB-0A25-4F09-8B70-4690BB1CA25B.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 41DC00E7-5F14-47B4-BD9B-9CB396217028.jpeg
    41DC00E7-5F14-47B4-BD9B-9CB396217028.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny seeing my old avatar - first thought when I saw it was “ whos been down Brick lane snapping my picture?” Both my avatars are the result of photo mooching down brick lane, maybe Ill use another one for 2019 - Ive got a fair few, fab places fo taking photos

Think I’ve mentioned to you before, I have a photo of your avatar from my own wanderings around Brick Lane/Shoreditch. Great place for pics.

Glad your mum is improving.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Tori71 I like the look of the red sprouts.
The red sprouts are lovely for a treat (more expensive that the usual ones). They are sweeter than the green, and turn a bit greyish when cooked!!

Reactions: Pipp

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The red sprouts are lovely for a treat (more expensive that the usual ones). They are sweeter than the green, and turn a bit greyish when cooked!!
I got some red sprouts on a half price “flash sale” from ocado , put avocado oil and then cumin on them and roasted them in the oven - I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome