Just diagnosed, what questions do I ask?

nannycaz10

Hi,

My mum has been told she has diabetes (she is 79), seeing the doctor Thursday morning. Checked her sugar level tonight and it has came up as 29.5. She has only just been diagnosed and not on anything yet, not sure if type 1 or 2 yet. What questions should we be asking the doctor and what can I do to help my mum as I am her full time carer?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is very, very high. Is she mobile?

Are you sure about the reading? Could her hands have been contaminated with anything? It might have been a rogue strip.

The way most of us reduce our readings is to cut out carbs.

No sugar, biscuits, cakes. No pasta, bread, potatoes, rice. The NHS recommends the eatwell plate which is not suitable for diabetics.

Tagging @daisy1 for the welcome pack which has bags of information.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Tagging @daisy1 for the info pack offered to all newcomers.

At such a level I suggest you test your Mum again making sure that Mum's hands are scrupulously clean (as well as your own hands) to avoid any contaminants. If a similar reading results then I would call the NHS Advice Line on 111 for guidance. Best wishes and I hope your Mum gets sorted by your GP very soon.

nannycaz10

Are you sure about the reading? Could her hands have been contaminated with anything? It might have been a rogue strip.

No sugar, biscuits, cakes. No pasta, bread, potatoes, rice. The NHS recommends the eatwell plate which is not suitable for diabetics.

Thanks for replying. Hands were really clean. Tested last week and it was 26.5. She is not really mobile,

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You might want to follow guzzler's advice to ring 111 for advice. Let us know how she gets on.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Ask for a hard copy of all her laboratory results. This can be very useful to see trends and current status.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@nannycaz10
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome those levels do seem to be very high is the glucose meter working properly and did she have an HbA1C blood test to diagnose diabetes. If it was that high then I would have thought the doctor would have seen her straight away or sent her to hospital. If it is still that high I think you should phone 111 for advice

Sarah111

Hi,

My mum has been told she has diabetes (she is 79), seeing the doctor Thursday morning. Checked her sugar level tonight and it has came up as 29.5. She has only just been diagnosed and not on anything yet, not sure if type 1 or 2 yet. What questions should we be asking the doctor and what can I do to help my mum as I am her full time carer?

The Dr is likely to prescribe something to help bring the reading down. But have you heard of the X-pert Diabetes Prevention and Management Programme? Assuming this is running in your area her GP should be able to refer her, if not you can purchase the book with all the info in for about £10.00.

I have recently completed the programme, (I was pre-diabetic). Had blood test yesterday to show I no longer am! The programme explains why generally speaking a lower carb intake is much better for us with an increase in good fats, the fats stop us from getting hungry. Not only has my HbA1c improved but I easily lost weight and feel so much better. No longer extremely tired after a meal, no nodding off in the middle of the day. From what I could make out others in the group had also had very good results from reducing their carb level. I would suggest you approach it slowly, especially if the Dr prescribes meds to reduce the reading and get blood tested every month or so, don't want to drop too low.

Any amount of movement, chair exercises will also help. There are plenty of free suggestions to be found via the internet.

Best wishes

navigator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The Dr is likely to prescribe something to help bring the reading down. But have you heard of the X-pert Diabetes Prevention and Management Programme? Assuming this is running in your area her GP should be able to refer her, if not you can purchase the book with all the info in for about £10.00.

I have recently completed the programme, (I was pre-diabetic). Had blood test yesterday to show I no longer am! The programme explains why generally speaking a lower carb intake is much better for us with an increase in good fats, the fats stop us from getting hungry. Not only has my HbA1c improved but I easily lost weight and feel so much better. No longer extremely tired after a meal, no nodding off in the middle of the day. From what I could make out others in the group had also had very good results from reducing their carb level. I would suggest you approach it slowly, especially if the Dr prescribes meds to reduce the reading and get blood tested every month or so, don't want to drop too low.

Any amount of movement, chair exercises will also help. There are plenty of free suggestions to be found via the internet.

Best wishes

navigator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
In February 2018 wife was advised she was pre-diabetic with an HbA1c of 46. She was referred onto the NHS "Healthier you" which is a diabetes prevention programme. It seems to be very similar to the X-pert scheme. Unfortunately, she was not seen until August. Her HbA1c was 48. Did not start the course until October!!
Seems to be very good. Between February and October, she attended Slimming World and is very happy to have lost nearly 7.5Kg.
I am puzzled as to HbA1c readings. As I had helped my brother with his T2 for several years I have a supply of glucose testing strips and a test meter. I take a bs test 3 time a week, after getting up and before any tablets or fluids. Her BS is between 5.8 and 6.5. For reference, I also take a BST.
Typical results 4.5 to 5.5.
I have found the chart attached/ uploaded which provides cross-references between HbA1c and average BS values.
This chart comes from Diabetes.co.uk. The values shown do NOT indicate that either of us are pre-diabetes.
A blood sugars value of 7 and above gives an HbA1c of around 48. With values of BS below 7 over the last 5 months, where does the HbA1c result of 48, in August come from? BTW a GP request blood test in early December shows a value of 47. When I mentioned carrying out BS tests the GP advised there was no point in doing so

Attachments

• diabetes control chart.jpeg
    diabetes control chart.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,965

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You are probably missing her peak readings, which will be anywhere between half an hour after eating to 2 or 3 hours after eating. In order to estimate an HbA1c you would need to test multiple times every day - morning fasting, before all meals, and a few times after eating, plus bedtimes. Even then you may not be lucky.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found the chart attached/ uploaded which provides cross-references between HbA1c and average BS values.
This chart comes from Diabetes.co.uk. The values shown do NOT indicate that either of us are pre-diabetes.
A blood sugars value of 7 and above gives an HbA1c of around 48. With values of BS below 7 over the last 5 months, where does the HbA1c result of 48, in August come from?
BTW a GP request blood test in early December shows a value of 47.
When I mentioned carrying out BS tests the GP advised there was no point in doing so

Well, can i just establish that when you test, it is only when you first wake..?

As you say you test 3 times a week.

I understand it like a heart beat

resting can be nice and smooth...as is Your BS when you awake.

BUT it is when the system is put under pressure the issues become apparent.

Running for instance will stress your heart more.
and for diabetes, eating carbs tests us more.

To take a reading without testing the before eating AND 2 hours after, ignores an activity we do constantly,
that WILL have an impact if any part of that ingested food 'Irritates' us...
in simple terms we are allergic to carbs, too many OR of the wrong type gives us issues.

THAT is what causes the damage, when it is unknown to us..and that is where the raised level become a cause of concern.

Once diagnosed i believe it's wise to be aware of what does trigger us, what we don't tolerate so well

For clarity i test, say 8 times a day.
My meter measures all of those and gives a 7 day, 14 and 30 day average.

I started with a HBA1c of 57...= 9.1 mmol
currently i run at 6.1 the week and 6.3 the month..hopefully scores that mean my HBA1c IS coming down..<prays>

So those markers stated in relation to the HBA1c , are not the 'once in the am' marker,
they are an accumulation of the 3 month total of all those meals,snacks & stress, etc that you've encountered.

and that is why so many test and try to learn what to avoid and how to keep the peaks as low as possible.

Hope that helps.