Hi, just started testing.

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
Before dinner 4.3
1hr after 6.1
2hr after 5.5
3hr after 5.6

Not much reaction this time? Now I’m baffled. More protein in my diet might sort me out?
Still worth a check-up with a GP.. A full blood test and Hba1c will tell you and your doc the average blood glucose levels for the previous few months along with any other levels such as white blood cell count, any ketones present and your cholesterol level.

Reactions: Naff-Off-Sugar

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Naff-Off-Sugar
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: Naff-Off-Sugar

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Levels are still spiking. :bored:

Have an appointment with the nurse practitioner on the 28/12.

Thanks for all your help and giving me the push to see someone.

Reactions: Debandez

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having tested for nearly a week now my fasting (first thing in the morning) mmol is around 6, two hours after eating is around 9 mmol.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having tested for nearly a week now my fasting (first thing in the morning) mmol is around 6, two hours after eating is around 9 mmol.

What is it before you eat? That is what you should be looking at - the amount by which is has risen. If you started at 9 then finishing at 9 is good. If you started at 6, then the 9 is not good.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Hello - a healthy insulin sensitive person shouldn't have BG's above 8 even after eating, so if your readings overall suggest that you have a degree of insulin resistance, but I agree with others that you need to get that diagnosed via a proper blood test by a lab (Meters and strips can give rogue results).
Your levels seem to be dropping again to healthy levels quite quickly which is maybe cause for some optimism that maybe you've caught this early enough.
Either way don't panic - because whatever the doctor says this is manageable. Whatever the test outcome, come back here and let us know so the forum can share relevant experiences with you. In the meantime reducing the carb intake will definitely help keep the levels under control.
Everyone is different and your body's reaction to one foodstuff might be very different to someone else's. There are other things as well that can affect your BG at a point in time, like illness, infection, stress, alcohol, caffeine, exercise etc etc.
The Hba1C test measures the molecular weight of the blood cells, which is affected by glucose attachment over a 2-3month period so it will be a more accurate marker of what is really going on. Good luck and stay calm.

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Still spiking, with increases well above 2mmol, also reading is slow to drop after meals sometimes, over three hours. Have also had a couple of low 4 mmol results. Doctors appointment tomorrow, so see where I fall on the diabetes scale when I have a result back and I'll update.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Still spiking, with increases well above 2mmol, also reading is slow to drop after meals sometimes, over three hours. Have also had a couple of low 4 mmol results. Doctors appointment tomorrow, so see where I fall on the diabetes scale when I have a result back and I'll update.

Don't forget to ask for a print out of the results. Never trust the words "fine" or "normal" etc. Even a so-called normal reading could be right on the edge of abnormal. Good luck.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Glad you got the needed testing!
NP’s would maybe rather we didn’t show an interest in self-care? Becoming informed? Being partners in our health care processes rather than becoming apathetic? Bluetit has the right idea- smile, nod, and go home to learn and do
edit for typo

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably the flu won't have done much for your BG's so ignore any slight increase whilst you are not feeling well. I have had a cold for the last few days and have had a bit of an increase in levels.

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve not been testing as I was really struggling. Had a shower today so that’s a step forward.

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HBA1C came back as 36. Blood glucose level on test date
came back as 7.5

Retest in a month.

Looking OK. The +2 mmol increases after eating and slow dropping still a bit worrying though.

Last edited:

Naff-Off-Sugar

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just for info, I was using a SD Codefree with test strips LOT - S0318084. Members seem not to be confident of the results this metre is providing.