Insulin resistant in the morning

DannyG

I usually eat breakfast at around 8am and take my insulin (NovoRapid) but by 10am my levels are through the roof (as high as 20). But when I correct after a few hours it comes right down. Does anybody else find that they are insulin resistant in the mornings? And how do you deal with it?

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you sure you're taking enough insulin for the carbs you're eating for breakfast?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What are you eating for breakfast? Are you having a normal fasting blood glucsoe? i.e. dawn phenomenom
I notice a morning spike if I have a typical UK breakfast (toast or porridge). I typically eat low carb so find that this doesn't spike me as much obviously.
Counteracting it could involve a)checking the carb ratio b) taking insulin earlier to catch the spike as long as you are sure you are going to eat at the specified time.

DannyG

Yes, I even experimented with taking 2-3 times my usual dose but my BG still shoots up before it eventually comes down. Would spacing out morning injections help? I'm only newly diagnosed and I'm a bit of a lost sausage

DannyG

What are you eating for breakfast? Are you having a normal fasting blood glucsoe? i.e. dawn phenomenom
I notice a morning spike if I have a typical UK breakfast (toast or porridge). I typically eat low carb so find that this doesn't spike me as much obviously.
Counteracting it could involve a)checking the carb ratio b) taking insulin earlier to catch the spike as long as you are sure you are going to eat at the specified time.
I usually eat the same, toast/cereal/porridge etc. I could try take the insulin earlier but I'd be a bit worried about getting a hypo before I eat. I suppose it would be worth experimenting with

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I usually eat breakfast at around 8am and take my insulin (NovoRapid) but by 10am my levels are through the roof (as high as 20). But when I correct after a few hours it comes right down. Does anybody else find that they are insulin resistant in the mornings? And how do you deal with it?
I'd suspect your choice of breakfast if a type2 too. Not IR but carb intolerance on a sluggish metabolism. We aren't normally fired up first thing and that's why many people, even none diabetics, go for a run to wake their metabolism up.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes, I even experimented with taking 2-3 times my usual dose but my BG still shoots up before it eventually comes down. Would spacing out morning injections help? I'm only newly diagnosed and I'm a bit of a lost sausage
Are you a type1 or type2?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Evening! Not sure what type of diabetes you have, but I’ve found I’m quite insulin resistant and carb sensitive in the mornings - my usual 1:10 ratio for most of the day is 1:7 or even more for corrections early in the day. I have as low a carb breakfast as possible because of this - or often skip it altogether.

Dicko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@DannyG I suffer Dawn Phenomenon, the only way I can control this is to look at my evening base injection, I was stumped with it for quite some months, but with some advice from the DSN and the Dietician I changed the time of my evening Basel, I now do it aroud 22:00 (just before bed) this has helped, but I can still occasionally see 8-9 after I wake, so I pre bolus now approx 45 mins before breakfast, this seems to have sorted my issue.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As others have said, this is called the Dawn Phemenon and is caused by your liver dumping glucose into your blood, because you've been fasting overnight and you need the energy when you wake. Happens to most people, whether diabetic or not.

The only remedy is to take extra insulin, which is different for each person. I need an extra 1 unit. Also, if it's spiking you into the 20s, then I'd consider reducing your carb intake for breakfast. Go for yogurt, cheese, eggs, bacon, nuts, low carb porridge (Google recipes), low carb granola (again, Google recipes)