Exercise causing sharp drops in bg

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Could it be that my pancreas is stimulated by the exercise and produces more of my own insulin as a result?

Do our muscles order glucose from our blood? Or does the glucose escape into the muscles by accident? Could I have a broken trigger that orders the glucose? Ie. My muscles think they have enough and dont call for more so it stays in my blood?

Sorry im sure this only makes sense to me, and I only just understand me

Well when you exercise you’re cells need ATP to make energy, and the more energy you need/use the more ATP must be produced by your cells.

I do not remember the whole krebs cycle now, but the more ATP you use, the more glucose you’ll need.

So the cells kind of take «more» glucose when you exercise.

I do not think you get less resistent or that you’re pancreas suddenly helps you out. It simply your cells starving to get glucose for creating enough ATP.

M

Member496333

...I do not think you get less resistent or that you’re pancreas suddenly helps you out. It simply your cells starving to get glucose for creating enough ATP.

If Jason Fung’s theory of overflow is correct, then one would think that any amount of glucose being used for energy would help increase insulin sensitivity. After all, if the resistance is caused by the blood and tissues being chock full of glucose, burning some off makes room for more. This could explain why exercise is known to improve insulin sensitivity. Likewise fasting.

One thing is for certain, the human body is nothing short of miraculous :D

Reactions: Shas3 and HSSS

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
How can i allow for this, its ridiculous, from a 20 minute walk?

2E011978-1AF7-4231-8745-4A13ABD1F91A.png

Reactions: Shas3

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @Fenn I have the same problem if I’m not careful, walking for 20 mins will lower me by 3 - 4 mmol/L (which can be useful sometimes), but I try to minimise this by:

1. Ensuring my BG is 7 or 8 before I leave the house
2. Sipping orange juice as I walk along (the cartons with straws are ideal, obviously don’t get a sugar free version)

P.s. I don’t have T2, so may not work for you.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Fenn I have the same problem if I’m not careful, walking for 20 mins will lower me by 3 - 4 mmol/L (which can be useful sometimes), but I try to minimise this by:

1. Ensuring my BG is 7 or 8 before I leave the house
2. Sipping orange juice as I walk along (the cartons with straws are ideal, obviously don’t get a sugar free version)

P.s. I don’t have T2, so may not work for you.
Thankyou Ledzepp

What is silly is the fact I am crazy active all the time, how a dog walk can cause this make no sense, if I was sedentary otherwise I could understand it, im not out of breath or aerobic when walking, just a brisk walk, ahh well, just got to get on with it I spose

Reactions: Ledzeptt