NHS Libre Rollout in doubt as a test strip manufacturer raises objections

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you follow Partha Kar on twitter or read his blog, you'll know about this already, but if not, it's worth understanding what's happened.

The plan to roll out Libre on the NHS under a unified setup for England has run into a slight roadblock, in that one of the blood test strip companies has broken rank and raised objections to NHS England about this. No-one is sure what the outcome will be, but it looks like the reason is lost revenue being disguised as "patient choice and safety".

I've written more about it here, but it's extremely disappointing.

Reactions: DunePlodder

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I understand your point regarding the revenue, I just don't understand patient choice? Surely the choice is to use it or not?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Like the analysis, thanks.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wasn't aware this was going to affect the roll out in April, I saw the good doctor Partha Kar was moving aside from the technology part of his work as the Libre was the tech 'beginning and he'd planned to make inroads with pumps next.

I'll be one of those who's causing roche a loss having gone from 10 strips a day to 1 or 2, but I couldn't give a toss about that as my health is better, if the other makers wanted to be involved then they had the same time as the others for R&D and licensing, that glucomen coming out of the blue and it doesn't yet exist.

Mels cat to the lot of them :p

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin