Struggling with BG testing along with depression

david.ed.bullock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
I have had diabetes type 1 for 25 years and on the insight insulin pump, this year has been horrible and am undergoing a Vitrectomy in my left eye on Christmas Eve. I am going on for general anaesthetic as previously fainted when having intense laser sension! Ihave previously had 6 sessions of laser treatment to know success. I also found out my right eye has started with the disease also.

As you can imagine I have felt really low and been prescribed antibiotics depressants along with beta blockers for anxiety. Also been given sleeping tablets due to not being able to sleep well.

My blood testing is bad at the moment with hba1c of 9.9%. I have just seen diabetes team and been a supportive session. I would like to know best ways to get on track once again. I am not doing enough BG tests which obviously affects eyes etc. I know where I am failing but support is major source of encouragement so if any one has advise please let me know either on here or private message me!

Thanks in advance
David

Reactions: Ponchu

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did they suggest a libre to you at all? I get anxiety and have found a CGM is the best method for me by far.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As someone who never did nearly enough blood tests (I've always hated them), I've found the libre to be a godsend, could you try and get your doctors to prescribe them for you, my CCG won't currently prescribe them to anyone so I've had to self-fund, but it has made such a big difference for me, it's been a motivator for me and now means I do test a lot more often and it's improved my control a lot (down from hba1cs of 7's and 8's to 6.2, and believe me those 7's and 8's were pure luck entirely (and quite a lot of hypos))

david.ed.bullock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As someone who never did nearly enough blood tests (I've always hated them), I've found the libre to be a godsend, could you try and get your doctors to prescribe them for you, my CCG won't currently prescribe them to anyone so I've had to self-fund, but it has made such a big difference for me, it's been a motivator for me and now means I do test a lot more often and it's improved my control a lot (down from hba1cs of 7's and 8's to 6.2, and believe me those 7's and 8's were pure luck entirely (and quite a lot of hypos))
Yeh I spoke to my diabetes team this morning regarding the libre and due to my mental state with depression and anxiety they said the libre is good but might be data overload at the moment. My CCG in Leicestershire currently black list the libre! I had looked at self funding but think I may wait till I am better with mentality!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeh I spoke to my diabetes team this morning regarding the libre and due to my mental state with depression and anxiety they said the libre is good but might be data overload at the moment. My CCG in Leicestershire currently black list the libre! I had looked at self funding but think I may wait till I am better with mentality!

You could give one a go for two weeks? that way youll know one way or another if it helps or not. You can get them at pharmacies, Asda is the cheapest at the mo I think?

david.ed.bullock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could give one a go for two weeks? that way youll know one way or another if it helps or not. You can get them at pharmacies, Asda is the cheapest at the mo I think?
Awesome thanks for that will take a look! Just don't want to overload my mind with stuff!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As regards the Libre, the readers are quite hard to get hold of I think so make sure your mobile phone is compatible before buying one. As an iphone user I do know it has to be a 7 or higher, unsure about android though.

As for getting back on track, small steps! If you're not testing enough, just do one day where you WILL do all the tests you're suppose to (before meals and 2hrs after and before bed) - write those down and notes about the meal/carbs. It'll make you think about what you're doing. Then you can decide if you want to do that again tomorrow or the next day.........

And you probably already know high BGs can affect your mood/mind, so a little win with the BG control will go a long way.

All the best.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear of your eye troubles David. I have deleted your other thread as it's a duplicate of this one and don't want to confuse people with responding to this.

On top of everything else it's no wonder you're feeling the way you are at the moment, it happens to alot of us. If I was in the same position as you i'd try and get out more into the fresh air, take a walk and breathe in fresh air, if you do some exercise regularly it will help release the endorphins and help improve your mood, also as suggested above and if you can afford to do so then try using the libre sensor to take the pressure off testing and to reinvigorate your regime, even if it's temporary to get you through this period it will help ease the pressure. Also just take one say at a time, try not to reflect or look ahead, deal with the here and now.

Best wishes J

david.ed.bullock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As regards the Libre, the readers are quite hard to get hold of I think so make sure your mobile phone is compatible before buying one. As an iphone user I do know it has to be a 7 or higher, unsure about android though.

As for getting back on track, small steps! If you're not testing enough, just do one day where you WILL do all the tests you're suppose to (before meals and 2hrs after and before bed) - write those down and notes about the meal/carbs. It'll make you think about what you're doing. Then you can decide if you want to do that again tomorrow or the next day.........

And you probably already know high BGs can affect your mood/mind, so a little win with the BG control will go a long way.

All the best.
Thanks for your message and also private message! I will be in touch! I really struggle with keeping on track testing and know it's key to health and feeling better in myself! Like you say small steps at a time are helpful!

david.ed.bullock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear of your eye troubles David. I have deleted your other thread as it's a duplicate of this one and don't want to confuse people with responding to this.

On top of everything else it's no wonder you're feeling the way you are at the moment, it happens to alot of us. If I was in the same position as you i'd try and get out more into the fresh air, take a walk and breathe in fresh air, if you do some exercise regularly it will help release the endorphins and help improve your mood, also as suggested above and if you can afford to do so then try using the libre sensor to take the pressure off testing and to reinvigorate your regime, even if it's temporary to get you through this period it will help ease the pressure. Also just take one say at a time, try not to reflect or look ahead, deal with the here and now.

Best wishes J
I have been thinking of the here and now and trying to put that at front of mind but sometimes I fail! The libre is apparently being brought in throughout the UK at end of the month so once I have had operation done on christmas eve I might consider getting it in the new year! I do certainly need to get outside as lots of people have said it helps with your mind frame! It's just getting myself to be motivated to do so, I feel its a viscous circle at the moment! Thanks

Reactions: Juicyj

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wishing you the best for your eye operation! A daily good walk outdoors is a great remedy for everything.

david.ed.bullock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wishing you the best for your eye operation! A daily good walk outdoors is a great remedy for everything.
Thank you appreciate your message!
Indeed it is and I guess what better chance to get outdoors whilst I am off work!

M

Member496333

Seems to me that you’re in a downward spiral of negativity?

In my opinion you need to take control of the cause rather than wallow in the symptoms. Occupy your mind with the glucose monitoring and your wellness will improve when you see your health outcomes improve. I’ve had eye problems myself so I can somewhat relate. It’s very easy to slip into depression. The very first thing that must happen, is to get your numbers under control. Only you can do this. Good things will follow. One day at a time.

david.ed.bullock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Seems to me that you’re in a downward spiral of negativity?

In my opinion you need to take control of the cause rather than wallow in the symptoms. Occupy your mind with the glucose monitoring and your wellness will improve when you see your health outcomes improve. I’ve had eye problems myself so I can somewhat relate. It’s very easy to slip into depression. The very first thing that must happen, is to get your numbers under control. Only you can do this. Good things will follow. One day at a time.
It is a downward spiral sadly! Managed to get myself out today for a walk and grab a coffee which I feel helps! Need to do it more often haha! Thanks

M

Member496333

It is a downward spiral sadly! Managed to get myself out today for a walk and grab a coffee which I feel helps! Need to do it more often haha! Thanks

Keep moving, buddy. Keep going forward, don’t stand still, and definitely don’t look back. Things can either get better from here or worse, and you have the power to determine which path you take.

Above all else, next time it’s cloudy, pop your head above the clouds and you’ll see the sun is still blazing! :)

Reactions: david.ed.bullock

david.ed.bullock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Keep moving, buddy. Keep going forward, don’t stand still, and definitely don’t look back. Things can either get better from here or worse, and you have the power to determine which path you take.

Above all else, next time it’s cloudy, pop your head above the clouds and you’ll see the sun is still blazing! :)
Thank you for your encouragement it really helps hearing from like-minded people. I am thankful for all responses regarding this! I love your wording in the post and keeping that in mind as I go on!

tinyroman

Don’t know if it’s possible for you, but worth a try.
I’m also in an area which won’t prescribe Libre but my clinic gave me a pack of one sensor and the reader to try out. I find it very good too. My DN said that the company does give samples to clinics so could you ask if they have a sample you could try? If they don’t, I suggest contacting the customer service directly and ask if a sample could be sent to your clinic specifically for you. It’s only the cost of a phone call and may be productive.
As they say, ‘ if you don’t ask, you don’t get ‘ ! Good luck!

Ponchu

I’ve had low level depression / anxiety for years...my wife’s was more pronounced.

She began the very low carb diet in support of me.

Without anticipation or knowledge, the depression - anxiety resolved as inflammation (wheat belly?) resolved.

For her. a lifetime of trying everything , including meds, did not work.

LCHF & IF have.

Since then I’ve researched and found support for this even going back hundreds of years.

The absence of depression/anxiety after so many years of living w it, was startling.

We’ve since met others who’ve had the same results.

Reactions: Member496333