EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Wow, just ....wow. You'd think their ought to be some Trades Description Act which would disallow such advertising. That's a real shocker. I guess the olives and tea are OK, but the rest is ....not.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
In the description it says speciality low carb. For £79 I would want real low carb and nutrient dense.
I notice that they havn't sold any yet, I wonder why.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
In the description it says speciality low carb. For £79 I would want real low carb and nutrient dense.
I notice that they havn't sold any yet, I wonder why.
The trouble is that someone may by it for a newbie diabetic who assumes that it all must be OK because it's a "diabetic" hamper. Almost tempted to log into amazon and leave a review....

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The understanding of diabetes is still just about non existent. Tesco claim to have a special interest in diabetes and say they have a partnership with DUK. They used to run promotions. One of them was a raffle with a basket of goodies as the prize. The goodies were entirely from the confectionery counter with every type of chocolate in the shop.

It takes a certain kind of ignorance to do that.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
No wonder it is diabetic - poor hamper.
Sorry.

M

Member496333

Diabetes is big business. A growing market :shifty:

My diabetic Christmas hamper will be 100% whole natural ingredients. Animals and plants provided by the planet.

:D

Reactions: Juicyj

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My diabetic hamper would be:
Smoked fish and egss
Pate
Dark chocolates
Maybe some mini bottles of gin, vodka and whiskey....
I guess there is and will be a huge market for 'diabetic' products and 'reduced sugar' items. It is a lot to pay for a hamper of glucose though!

Reactions: EllieM and Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
The sad thing is there are quite a few on Amazon..

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Your hamper sounds great @NicoleC1971 i’d add olives, nuts and cheese to mine :)

Geoffno6

It’s crazy, I went for diabetic meals on a flight last week and ended up scraping fillings out of white bread sandwiches, leaving melon, pineapple and rice uneaten and being given margarine for the biscuits and roll unlike everyone else who got butter

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Maybe we don't have to worry. There's a message underneath "In Stock"
"No sellers are currently delivering this item to your selected dispatch location in the UK - Mainland."
What a shame.

Reactions: trick60

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I posted a question "what exactly is the carbohydrate content . . . . . ". The more the merrier.
I posted a question
The olives and nuts are diabetic friendly but what makes you think the rest are suitable for a T2 (or T1) diabetic?
Can't see either question yet, maybe they will be filtered out...?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Maybe we don't have to worry. There's a message underneath "In Stock"
"No sellers are currently delivering this item to your selected dispatch location in the UK - Mainland."
What a shame.

Ah, well I got that message but I'm on New Zealand so wasn't surprised. Heartbreaking, isn't it :)

Reactions: Geoffno6
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, just ....wow. You'd think their ought to be some Trades Description Act which would disallow such advertising. That's a real shocker. I guess the olives and tea are OK, but the rest is ....not.
I trot this story out every now and again and it still works.

There was an egg salesman interviewed on TV once who said that he has been selling many more eggs since he wrote Free Range on the box.

Writing diabetic on the box also seems to work but doesn't mean that it's good for diabetics.

Reactions: Geoffno6 and EllieM

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s crazy, I went for diabetic meals on a flight last week and ended up scraping fillings out of white bread sandwiches, leaving melon, pineapple and rice uneaten and being given margarine for the biscuits and roll unlike everyone else who got butter
I never ever ask for diabetic meals because you just know they haven't a clue.

Reactions: Geoffno6

squeezelouise400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I've just been on Amazon looking for a Christmas hamper for my auntie and uncle and came across this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grand-Diab...=UTF8&qid=1544576048&sr=8-278&keywords=hamper
it's a joke most of the products range from 50 - 83g of carbs. The mind boggles lol.
Oh my golly gosh.....the price of that hamper is a joke. If you buy those items seperatly it would probably cost £20.00. I'm not so sure they should not be labeling it diabetic either. Yes one or two items may be low or medium GI. Been T1 since the ice age and I remember my dietition telling me as a kid in the 1980s to avoid any foods labelled diabetic!