Do you stock pile Insulin

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I just got a new supply of insulin. We get 75mil at a time which for me is about 6 months in Australia. I normally run the supply down to about 5 days until I get a new supply.
With the news going crazy around the world
UK - Brexit
Aus - Storms and cyclones
Japan - Earthquakes and Tsunami’s
World - Russia looking for a fight, Nth Korea looking for a fight with anything that moves
USA - so much to be paranoid about

Do you keep at least a months supply of Insulin and accessories?

Reactions: ickihun
D

Deleted member 308541

Nth Korea looking for a fight with anything that moves
USA - so much to be paranoid about
That should read:

USA: Trump looking for a fight with anything that moves.

Nth Korea: Kim so much to be paranoid about because of Trump.

I have a complete extra supply of all of my medications, I do not use insulin though.

Reactions: alphabeta

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have always kept about three months supply just to be sure I never run out or if I have a problem obtaining it,

Reactions: kev-w
D

Deleted member 308541

Good to see the UK told to make "contingency plans" for everything.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always reordered when I've just the one pen or vial left as I'm able to get a same day script if I go in and pester on a morning so haven't worried before, currently I've an unopened box of each type of insulin and intend doubling up on that before the end of February ready for Brexit.
I very much doubt it'll affect the importation of insulin but better safe than sorry....

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I normally keep at least 1 months worth of insulin ‘in stock’ in the fridge, testing strips I let it get down to just over a weeks worth, I will however put in for an extra boxes in Feb/March.......!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
With so many people 'doubling up' on stock it will probably cause a shortage even without Brexit!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
With so many people 'doubling up' on stock it will probably cause a shortage even without Brexit!
I was thinking that the other day, but honestly if I still lived in the UK I'd do the same thing. It's not as though you can just "do without" insulin for a couple of days.
I normally have at least a couple of weeks supply in stock, a few cartridges.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always order a new supply when I am down to the last vial in my Toujeo and the last 2 in my Fiasp. I think to stockpile would be the height of selfishness to all other diabetics. Far better if there is a shortage that insulin is shared out evenly. I would not be happy if someone ended up ill because I had thought I was more important than the next diabetic and had an extra stash.

Reactions: Dutchman2016

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always order a new supply when I am down to the last vial in my Toujeo and the last 2 in my Fiasp. I think to stockpile would be the height of selfishness to all other diabetics. Far better if there is a shortage that insulin is shared out evenly. I would not be happy if someone ended up ill because I had thought I was more important than the next diabetic and had an extra stash.
Nothing to do with being selfish as in the past I have known dispensaries run low on certain insulin products due to manufacturing problems and being able to get hold of it. There is also the chance that something may happen to your last vial or box.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm feeling persecuted! :hilarious: At which point is it hoarding though? 2,3 or 4 boxes of each? depends how much you use.

I quite agree no one should go mad and cause issues for fellow insulin users.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like to have at least one box of five cartridges in reserve, in case there is a problem with the prescription or the pharmacy. Only on two occasions have I really 'stockpiled', when moving and changing GPs, as getting new prescriptions set up can be a nightmare, particularly if the GP in question is uncooperative.

The major downside to excessive stockpiling, other than the obvious shortages elsewhere, is that if something were to happen, for instance an overexcited fridge freezing everything, you could end up losing lots and lots, rather than only a few cartridges worth, which is a lot of money down the drain for the NHS. And if everyone else has been stockpiling too, then you might struggle to replace it!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My fridge isn't big enough for a 3mth supply but I have enough incase my reducing Dapagliflozin tablet gets me overly demented with thrush and I have to stop it over Christmas. Which doubles my Novarapid and Toujeo300 needs. Still using vegetables and milkshakes over Christmas with a day off on Christmas day. Still losing weight, currently.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing to do with being selfish as in the past I have known dispensaries run low on certain insulin products due to manufacturing problems and being able to get hold of it. There is also the chance that something may happen to your last vial or box.

Wanting to have a months supply in advance may be ok and efficient but 'stockpiling' in the context of the question means months of supplies 'just in case'. That IS selfish in my opinion.

Reactions: becca59

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wanting to have a months supply in advance may be ok and efficient but 'stockpiling' in the context of the question means months of supplies 'just in case'. That IS selfish in my opinion.
Three months of ‘stockpiling’ supplies is approximately three boxes of Novorapid and two of Lantus. As Slip has stated above, it depends how much you use. My supply has nothing to do with Brexit, I doubt it will cause any problems.

Chris Bowsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if you haven't got a stockpile by hard brexit, then its the perfect excuse to go on a diet.