Stupidly cheated and now feel awful!

Lovejoy00

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been fine all year since diagnosis, however for a few days last week and this, I have basically been very naughty.

Just eating a few biscuits/cakes/mince pies at work here and there and now I feel awful. I am peeing more often and my groin aches, these are exactly the symptoms I had just before diagnosis.

I have obviously stopped being silly for two days now, but I imagine my body will take a while to adapt.

My blood sugar level last night appeared normal however I wasn't testing during binge week! :(

Hopefully it's just a lesson learnt, and a treat should be an occasional treat, not a daily feature , Christmas or not!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We live and learn, @Lovejoy00 . Hopefully no long term damage done, and you will feel less inclined to repeat the cheating knowing how it makes you feel. It does seem a shame that many celebrations seem to be carb fests.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been fine all year since diagnosis, however for a few days last week and this, I have basically been very naughty.

Just eating a few biscuits/cakes/mince pies at work here and there and now I feel awful. I am peeing more often and my groin aches, these are exactly the symptoms I had just before diagnosis.

I have obviously stopped being silly for two days now, but I imagine my body will take a while to adapt.

My blood sugar level last night appeared normal however I wasn't testing during binge week! :(

Hopefully it's just a lesson learnt, and a treat should be an occasional treat, not a daily feature , Christmas or not!

Hi there, as I am sure you know it's the carb overload (commensurate with the amount you normally eat). I know that it's bad if one week leads into a month or whatever but there is no way that one week of higher carbs will ruin the results of the rest of your year. I say chill out, get back on track and at least your body works and is telling you that an excess of carbs for your body will make you feel ill. A nice, timely reminder. It is amazing how quickly the body responds to what you do to it, good or bad but it works both ways of course so another week of 'normality' and I am sure you will be feeling fine again. Happy Xmas!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What does everyone feel abou the term 'cheating on your diet'? Surely you are not in a committed relationship with the low carb diet so can't have an affair with a tasty chocolate biscuit or a fling with a fondant fancy etc. Seriously though, the words we use do resonate with pointless guilt/shame sometimes!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
a mince pie has on average 40g of carbs. that's 4 slices of bread worth.

Reactions: Dinet

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going on holiday in February to Disneyland Paris and we're full board, I'm going to stick to eating meat and veg at meal times but I am going to have a treat too , as soon as i get back I am back onto the lchf I don't believe it will cause any damage at all .

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, as I am sure you know it's the carb overload (commensurate with the amount you normally eat). I know that it's bad if one week leads into a month or whatever but there is no way that one week of higher carbs will ruin the results of the rest of your year. I say chill out, get back on track and at least your body works and is telling you that an excess of carbs for your body will make you feel ill. A nice, timely reminder. It is amazing how quickly the body responds to what you do to it, good or bad but it works both ways of course so another week of 'normality' and I am sure you will be feeling fine again. Happy Xmas!
My diebetic nurse told me enjoy Xmas have a treat enjoy it and don't feel guilty

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh no Lovejoy, I hope you’re feeling better for Xmas. I’m going to stick to savoury stuff, minus the obvious carbs and I have a freezer and a cupboard full of sweet low carb treats to keep me on the straight and narrow. Tesco mini mince pies are only 11g carbs each. I’m going to get a packet of those incase I want something traditionally Xmassy but one will be eaten with lashings of double cream to lessen the impact, I hope!

M

Member496333

What does everyone feel abou the term 'cheating on your diet'? Surely you are not in a committed relationship with the low carb diet so can't have an affair with a tasty chocolate biscuit or a fling with a fondant fancy etc. Seriously though, the words we use do resonate with pointless guilt/shame sometimes!

Speaking only for myself, and not judging anyone else’s approach, I have no desire to cheat. I don’t view my lifestyle in any way restrictive. Quite the opposite. I enjoy everything I wish to enjoy, daily. However, I have already suffered life changing complications that my current lifestyle has fixed - retinopathy, macular edema and neuropathy - so I’m naturally unlikely to view anything that came before it as a “cheat” - I just don’t desire any of it. At all. One could make an argument that I’m fortunate to have suffered the complications previously, as it means I don’t need any resolve in order to stay on track :D

Ultimately we are all free to make our own choices. Whatever works for the individual :)

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Well maybe a vision of a bitterly hurt diet, weeping that we strayed from it for the charms of a bit of Christmas cake might prick our consciences and help keep us on the straight and narrow. The reality of course is that we only cheat ourselves. My mantra at the moment is "wait until Christmas day" at which point I will leave my poor low carb diet for a disgraceful one night stand...

Reactions: SaskiaKC

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Don't beat yourself up about it, learn from it, are the biscuits/cakes and mince pies really worth it? try cheese and pickles instead x

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It's down to carb creep and the fact that we are human. I will not lie and say I'm never tempted though it has got easier with time to avoid pitfalls. I have left the Christmas 'big shop' until the last moment and done it online (and, might I add, saved a wodge of cash because I won't have Xmas foods in the cupboard until March as I did pre dx!). Give yourself a break, it is not easy this time of year.

Reactions: Diane_56

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the idea of treating oneself fascinating. In most cases 'treats' give us loads of sugar and calories and we use them as rewards for our children etc. I treat myself these days with something that won't raise my blood glucose or make me feel ill afterwards. So lovely olives, a nice piece of cheese, some pecans or very dark chocolate are my treats these days.
I understand others feel differently but anything sweet now makes me feel sick!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I've never thought of it this way before. :) To me it's felt like cheating by breaking rules. More "sneaking" than cheating. But in the end it's really just cheating myself because physically my body suffers and mentally I disappoint myself.

But I still do it. And when I think about it, I can't figure out why I do. What was it Saint Paul said? "I don't understand what I do. For what I want to do, I don't do; and what I do, I don't like"?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
At the folk club last Sunday there were 'treats' - I peeled the pastry off a pork pie and ate the tiny bit of meat inside, and then cut the upper part off a mince pie or two and ate just about half the lower part.
Seeing all the pastry piled up made me realize just how carb dense food from the supermarket inner aisles can be, and how little good stuff you actually get. No wonder it is cheap. It made me regret not having a few chickens or quail about to eat the unwanted stuff.