NHS Dietitian Contradicting Himself

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When hubby and I were abroad on holiday, and daughter was home alone (with a friend) we got a panic stricken phone call from her, which was direct to the complex as no mobiles in those days, so the manager had to come looking for us. Our cat had dragged a dead, mangled rabbit in through her downstairs bedroom window and plonked it on the bed. Neither she nor her friend dare go anywhere near it. I think she expected us to get the next flight home. :hilarious: We didn't.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Unfortunately I have had quite a few spells in hospital since my sixties, both for myself and my wife. I am dismayed when I see so many NHS staff who are clearly obese, among them people who tell me my BMI (Which I think is a load of Bovine Manure.) is too high. It makes we wonder whether or not the NHS will ever admit to the truth on diet; because I am sure they do know the truth. I detest this 'eat healthily' chant, and this nutritionist who is accusing someone of falsifying their readings should be struck off. He is obviously a brainwashed fool, who blindly accepts conventional wisdom, without asking why the 'patient' is claiming these readings. The fool needs re-educating, but sadly that won't happen will it? The establishment either doesn't have a clue, or there is a disgusting conspiracy going on. I suspect the latter, with the younger doctors and consultants in ignorance of the truth about diet. All for the benefit of 'Big-Food' and 'Big-Pharma'.

I have one answer for them when they advise me to 'eat healthily'. My reply is, 'I do eat healthily and that's why I have shed almost four stones since Sept/October 2017.' I feel fine and I don't care what these people tell me. (As long as they don't insult me.} When I shop for food I buy only what was once running around, flying around or swimming in the seas. As for Carbs I stay with greens, that can be picked from a bush or a tree, and the only fruit I eat are berries of whatever species I can get. I don't drink just water, of course, although I suspect I should do that. That's all that wild animals get, and they seem to manage. But I don't think I will give up my one cup of coffee per day!

My blood sugar readings are now rarely above 7.5, and after conducting my own fasting reading, my readings regain normality after about 1 hour. I have never felt better since my forties. I still have some way to go (I am 17 stones 10lbs) but I am getting there. Instead of castigating me for not eating whole-grain bread, and brown rice, I think my Doctor should ask me how I did it. After all he knows my readings as well as me. But has he remarked on it? Not on your life. My one regret is I can't stomach the taste and texture of avocado pears. It must be like eating tallow candles!
Well done on this and I think you're quite right in everything you say. If you like spicy stuff, have you tried guacamole with a good dollop of Tabasco? Yesterday for lunch I had avocados with prawns and Thai dressing, (fish sauce, lime juice, sweetener, ginger and chopped chilli, might be worth giving it a go.

Biggles2

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some darn fine looking ducks on our canal ;)
Ah yes, a pair of mallards has come recently to live on the University central heating cooling pond near my house, (not an idyllic rural environment, but they don't seem to mind) and today I noticed they had been joined by a third single male. However they are wise enough to pass the night right in the middle of the pond. I'd have to get them when they are dozing on the side during the day, and I fear this would not be popular with the students.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When hubby and I were abroad on holiday, and daughter was home alone (with a friend) we got a panic stricken phone call from her, which was direct to the complex as no mobiles in those days, so the manager had to come looking for us. Our cat had dragged a dead, mangled rabbit in through her downstairs bedroom window and plonked it on the bed. Neither she nor her friend dare go anywhere near it. I think she expected us to get the next flight home. :hilarious: We didn't.
Your poor daughter! Did she sleep on the sofa until you got home? I would have felt just like her. It's very odd, I am not at all afraid of any of the usual suspects, such as spiders and rats, but dead things freak me out. No way can I touch them, even with a spade. When dead birds turn up on my garden path I just have to step over them and hope that soon some nice predator will take them away for dinner.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your poor daughter! Did she sleep on the sofa until you got home? I would have felt just like her. It's very odd, I am not at all afraid of any of the usual suspects, such as spiders and rats, but dead things freak me out. No way can I touch them, even with a spade. When dead birds turn up on my garden path I just have to step over them and hope that soon some nice predator will take them away for dinner.

I'm very much like that, too. I have nurtured spiders in the house, looked after Roland the loan rat in the garden, and looked after the field mice in the garden, but anything dead .... no way. My daughter found some boyfriend or other to remove the dead rabbit, then she had to wash the bedding. I have always wondered why she didn't ring to ask where the washing machine and soap powder were. :hilarious::hilarious:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm sorry but every time I read the title of this thread I misread it for NHS Dietitian Castrating Himself, most unnerving

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But how would you go about cooking one?
I guess you could just use @JohnEGreen 's recipe for the rat, you'll only need a bigger pan and multiply the other ingredients. Depending on your diet you might want to change the rice for cauliflower, or leave it out altogether.

Skin and eviscerate the rat and split it lengthwise. Fry until brown in a mixture of butter and peanut oil. Cover with water, add tomatoes or tomato purée, hot red peppers, and salt. Simmer the rat until tender and serve with rice.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had some boyfriends that could have been described as rats.

Md2t

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If I had the time and money, I would have sued the NHS for providing wrong dietary guidelines to their dietitians and diabetic nurses.

I was also told by the dietitian to eat “anything” in small portions ie I can have a bit of potato, chocolates, ice cream, pasta, anything really as long as they are in small amounts.

And I was sitting there in his office with a red face.

Shocking and Unbelievable!!!

The dietary guidelines which are based on what I observed as mere “opinions” (not based on research) and being implemented by the majority of diabetic teams are careless, dangerous and absolutely appalling.

Low-carbing is the answer to better blood glucose control...and stick with it forever.
Fortunately a growing number of NHS professionals are challenging the current guidelines and assert their right to do so based on the part of those guidelines which tell them to consider each patient's individual requirements and preferences. Look up 'Public Health Collaboration'. Sadly many of their colleagues seem not to know this, or fear victimisation if they step out of line. I just tell every health care professional I meet how LCHF /IF worked for me. Most are too busy to listen, but a few ask for more information.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A friend of my daughters who has kidney cancer, heart problems and is T2 has just been allowed home after an extended stay in hospital and is now being threatened with a visit from a NHS diabetes dietitian and a male care worker turned up yesterday to give the lady a shower, husband threw a wobbly.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A friend of my daughters who has kidney cancer, heart problems and is T2 has just been allowed home after an extended stay in hospital and is now being threatened with a visit from a NHS diabetes dietitian and a male care worker turned up yesterday to give the lady a shower, husband threw a wobbly.
Re the care worker, I'm sure the husband could have stayed in the room if any concerns. My 18 year old granddaughter is a care worker supporting people at home with meds, meal times and personal care/hygiene for males and females. They usually work in pairs to protect both themselves and clients from any imagined issues. PS very proud of granddaughter who will be working all over Christmas.