Type 1 High blood sugars

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi looking for some help.
My blood sugars have been sky high all day. Tested ketones were 0.8 I’ve been doing corrections on my pump and also injections but blood sugars arill sky high I really don’t know what to do

D

Deleted Account

Have you
- changed your insulin in your pump?
- check your pump is working (do a prime)
- corrected with a pen or syringe?

How are you feeling?
Are you stressed or coming down with a bug?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Bethan_Gabriel, Can you tell us a bit more about yourself? How long have you been on insulin?
What amounts and type of insulin are you prescribed?
What sort of BSL(Blood Sugar levels) figures are you getting and at what times?
Under any stress or unwell with a virus or other infection?
Has your insulin been kept in the fridge, except what you are currently using? How is your injection technique?
And most importantly have you spoken with your nurse or doctor about your BSLs?

roslynfarm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Bethan_Gabriel, Can you tell us a bit more about yourself? How long have you been on insulin?
What amounts and type of insulin are you prescribed?
What sort of BSL(Blood Sugar levels) figures are you getting and at what times?
Under any stress or unwell with a virus or other infection?
Has your insulin been kept in the fridge, except what you are currently using? How is your injection technique?
And most importantly have you spoken with your nurse or doctor about your BSLs?

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi looking for some help.
My blood sugars have been sky high all day. Tested ketones were 0.8 I’ve been doing corrections on my pump and also injections but blood sugars arill sky high I really don’t know what to do

If the highs go on and you cannot get rid of ketones in 24 hrs or preferably less, despite adjusting, go to urgent care asap, to check for infections, including uti, esp if you are a woman. If none evident, and still ketones of course you need further urgent medical attention, but if you can get glucoses down you may just have a virus. ..... do you feel ok? if you are in the uk, there does appear to be a strange bug giving people few or only mild symptoms around, but, if you are Type one, you find that it is strongly affecting blood glucose - another type one i know is having the same problems as i am at the moment. The bug has a whole load of minor symptoms, though if you are young and fit you might not notice much. The problem with this bug is the amount of insulin change and the drops as you think you have recovered, then the highs again as it returns. i am still finding a problem, on day 14, which is why i am up, at last i can eat - i never eat on highs, and this had shot up to 16.00 after an adjustment for a reading of 13.00! ... there will be a time soon when my immune system finally beats the problem with an even higher TDD, and then things will drop dangerously fast, but i don't know when.....if you have similar problems, just go on adjusting, do not panic (i have been doing this for decades and you come to no harm if you test a LOT, and adjust very very carefully in small step like doses.) It is just very disruptive, especially at this time of the year. Take care...

Reactions: kitedoc

roslynfarm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting blood sugar level has been high this week because of eating at before Christmas lunches and dinners. I ate pavlovas, plum puddings and fruit salads, at three meals this week, knowing that this is wrong thing to do( partly from greed and partly from trying to conform). Today my blood sugar level at fasting test was 9.0. I went for a walk, drank water frequently and had no food till noon. BSL went up to 11 around 10.00 am. Had two boiled eggs, lettuce and tomato for lunch and BSL has come down now. I don 't take medication. My Hb1AC is usually 6.1. We are also experiencing a heat wave here in Qld, with temps up to 39 degrees C. Christmas still too cone. I have enrolled in lows carb diet but don't seem to navigate the blogs and logging on very well. Wld like some advice from any kind members, please. I am 81 years old and and use a mobile broadband device.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My fasting blood sugar level has been high this week because of eating at before Christmas lunches and dinners. I ate pavlovas, plum puddings and fruit salads, at three meals this week, knowing that this is wrong thing to do( partly from greed and partly from trying to conform). Today my blood sugar level at fasting test was 9.0. I went for a walk, drank water frequently and had no food till noon. BSL went up to 11 around 10.00 am. Had two boiled eggs, lettuce and tomato for lunch and BSL has come down now. I don 't take medication. My Hb1AC is usually 6.1. We are also experiencing a heat wave here in Qld, with temps up to 39 degrees C. Christmas still too cone. I have enrolled in lows carb diet but don't seem to navigate the blogs and logging on very well. Wld like some advice from any kind members, please. I am 81 years old and and use a mobile broadband device.

Hi, Roslyn, i am type 1 and if i ate pavlovas and plum puddings etc even with extra insulin my glucoses would rocket to well in the 20's and higher, esp as i have never learnt to adjust insulin for that type of food, which was a total no no when i was first diagnosed....... stuff like that is not healthy, and is not diabetic type food though some might occasionally manage it with lots of insulin. If you are a type 2 on no meds, the only thing to do is avoid high carbs and speak to your dietician or doctor re a suitable diet. Best to get a little book or something on the internet which is carb listing so you can learn where the most carbs are, and what is a good lower carb diet. Your HbAic is excellent, it looks as if your body is managing well without insulin or meds if you keep the carbs reasonable - i just wish i was in your position! If you are new to type 2, it may seem a pain keeping away from carbs, but it is necessary to change habits, even if slowly, this will keep you well, and off medications. Best to enjoy xmas with lot of salads and veg, and a small amount of fruit which is lower carb, maybe some berries or some melon, and forget the cake and starchy puddings, etc completely. Forget trying to conform ! Mostly, people are so busy eating the food , esp at xmas, that they wont notice you choosing the lower carb stuff. If you are concerned that someone may have cooked something specially , and that they do want you to try it, just have a very tiny portion, with more salad or veg, and maybe also explain your situation. I am not a Type 2 so maybe other type 2s can help with more advice. All the best, i hope you have a good xmas .

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @roslynfarm, I am type 1 diabetic living in Adelaide.
It is an unfortunate fact that some dietitians registered with Dietitians Association of Australia have been de-registered by DAA for prescribing low carb high fat diets to patients. Some but not all have been re-registered but there seems (last I looked) a vendetta of sorts which is likely to make fellow dietitians registered with DAA reluctant to prescribe such diets.
To obtain some understanding of the background to this situation - try googling 'Jennifer Elliott vs DAA'.
There are some doctors and dietitians ( private practice dietitians who I believe are not registered with DAA) who prescribe low carb diets in Australia listed in - lowcarbdownunder.com.au. There might be someone near you in Queensland.
You are probably aware that this site, diabetes.co.uk, has a low carb forum and some information posts there as well as recent posts on low carb diets and ideas for Xmas plus on the Home page under Type 2 Diabetes heading, a section on low carb diet and also see the Recipes heading.
If it is the LowCarbHighFat (LCHF) diet site you have logged onto via diabetes.co.uk you may need to ask questions through that site or see whether the moderators on diabetes.co.uk (see listed on the forum page right hand side) may be able to help you navigate that former (LCHF) site.
I hope the above helps.:):):)

Last edited:

roslynfarm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Roslyn, i am type 1 and if i ate pavlovas and plum puddings etc even with extra insulin my glucoses would rocket to well in the 20's and higher, esp as i have never learnt to adjust insulin for that type of food, which was a total no no when i was first diagnosed....... stuff like that is not healthy, and is not diabetic type food though some might occasionally manage it with lots of insulin. If you are a type 2 on no meds, the only thing to do is avoid high carbs and speak to your dietician or doctor re a suitable diet. Best to get a little book or something on the internet which is carb listing so you can learn where the most carbs are, and what is a good lower carb diet. Your HbAic is excellent, it looks as if your body is managing well without insulin or meds if you keep the carbs reasonable - i just wish i was in your position! If you are new to type 2, it may seem a pain keeping away from carbs, but it is necessary to change habits, even if slowly, this will keep you well, and off medications. Best to enjoy xmas with lot of salads and veg, and a small amount of fruit which is lower carb, maybe some berries or some melon, and forget the cake and starchy puddings, etc completely. Forget trying to conform ! Mostly, people are so busy eating the food , esp at xmas, that they wont notice you choosing the lower carb stuff. If you are concerned that someone may have cooked something specially , and that they do want you to try it, just have a very tiny portion, with more salad or veg, and maybe also explain your situation. I am not a Type 2 so maybe other type 2s can help with more advice. All the best, i hope you have a good xmas .