Diet Coke

BAZZA_P

After 7 weeks of diagnosed type 2 ive decided to have a can of diet coke, I have been just drinking water, decaf coffee and red wine. Do you drink diet coke? Not sure if its ok or not really? Ive also decided not to buy any more strips so i havent tested it.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Check the carbohydrate content on the info label I think diet coke is 0carbs as is coke zero which tastes better IMHO

RussG

0g sugar in diet coke. I've got used to the caffeine free version as well.

http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/brands/diet-coke.html

I do love their marketing though - this came from an FAQ on their site about the use of additives in Coke (apparently Coke is healthier than an apple :lol: ):

An additive is an ingredient used to provide flavour and/or colour to our drinks. Many additives, such as E numbers, are present naturally. For example, an apple contains 11 E numbers, while there are only two in Coca-Cola.
If a food additive has an E number, this is assurance that it has passed safety tests and is approved for use throughout the EU. This approval is monitored and reviewed in the light of new scientific data. In order to be authorised it must be demonstrated that an additive is both harmless and useful. The E reference for each additive refers to Europe and shows that the additive is authorised in Europe. In effect, the E is a guarantee of safety. Find out more about E numbers.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You just need to be careful if you drink diet coke at a pub or cafe and they take it from a nozzle dispenser that diet coke is what you get ...

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi Bazza.

I am now an obsessive reader of labels. Diet coca cola is ok and pepsi as they don't contain sugars. Others though like supermarket home brands are ones to be watched. I have found that sometimes they have a reduced sugar level and label them up as 'diet' but the levels are still ridiculously high and would be enough to make me feel I'll.

I have also noted a lot of dilute to taste juice labelled as 'no added sugar' still have very high carbs due to natural sugars. It really is about picking stuff up in the supermarket and studying the labels before putting them in your trolley. Quiet often the 'diet' or 'healthy living' brands have more sugars and carbs than the full fat stuff.

Back on the coke thing, I only have the odd glass as with many things nowadays, it's full of all sorts of chemicals and additives and ok in moderation. I drink sparkling water a lot with ice and lemon or a good brand cordial.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Josie - if you edit someone's post, shouldn't the edit box say it was you that edited it, not the person who posted it? That's what used to happen before...

RussG

Hi Daisy,

It did say edited by Josie - we communicated by PM and agreed I would re-edit, which is why it shows my name. I'm happy with the conversation we had but I didn't expect Josie to post saying she had edited it. Sorry if this has caused any confusion.

Ottermoon

I drink diet coke. I seem to be able to taste the chemicals in diet drinks, so when I had a suspicion that I'd been given regular coke in a pub, I spoke to the man behind the bar.

"Sorry, but it's critical that I not have any sugar, b/c I have diabetes. This tastes like a sugared drink. Could you double check it for me please." it's happened twice in pubs so far. Diligence required, but they replace the drink cheerfully.

Ottermoon

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I love "Diet Dr. Pepper's", but it is so hard to find where I live. Maybe I'll do a net search of various grocery outlets in the area.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
:mrgreen:

[youtube]8zTDbpxT8ZI[/youtube]

majicm

Ottermoon said:
I drink diet coke. I seem to be able to taste the chemicals in diet drinks, so when I had a suspicion that I'd been given regular coke in a pub, I spoke to the man behind the bar.

"Sorry, but it's critical that I not have any sugar, b/c I have diabetes. This tastes like a sugared drink. Could you double check it for me please." it's happened twice in pubs so far. Diligence required, but they replace the drink cheerfully.

Ottermoon

I was about to say, you can definitely tell the difference between diet coke and "full fat" coke.

I never used to drink Coke at all but these days when I go out it's Diet Coke unless they have Sprite Zero or something.

Jim H

Ottermoon said:
Ottermoon

majicm said:
I was about to say, you can definitely tell the difference between diet coke and "full fat" coke.

I never used to drink Coke at all but these days when I go out it's Diet Coke unless they have Sprite Zero or something.

I agree, I can tell the difference between Coke and diet Coke, Also I found Pepsi (Full sugar) tastes sweeter than Coke, which I'm wasn't keen on. before I was diagnosed, I only drank 'Full Fat' Coca-Cola as I wasn't keen on Diet stuff. Now I'm a T2 I have got used to only drinking the diet stuff.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
The very first thing I Googled post diagnosis was "diabetes diet coke".

I don't care if it's bad for me, Diet Coke is my only vice in a miserable low-carb diet of chicken, chicken, eggs, chicken and lettuce (and chicken).

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
borofergie said:
in a miserable low-carb diet of chicken, chicken, eggs, chicken and lettuce (and chicken).

You could do better than that - sack the chef!! :lol: