Stepped off the Wagon a bit

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Only you know yourself well enough to decide how best to proceed.
I have both feet firmly planted in St Augustine's camp.- Complete abstinence is easier than perfect moderation
I have never been able to do the so called moderation, especially around the foods that epitomise my complete and utter loss of control, whether its of my food choices, food quantities or being able to walk away from the foods that I used to love pre dox, which I know could spell my catastrophic demise.
I took a long hard look at myself and accepted that fact.
I have other strengths, and doing moderation around food I love, which will ultimately be deadly for me, because of my condition is not one of them....I pick my battles.
Getting into fights I am guaranteed to lose is not one of them.
Very true ,I know what you mean,it can pull you apart,most of the time I go without but love my safe treats on Saturday but just got too understand the next stage of this situation.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I fell off and got left up the road - HbA1c 73!!!

Saw the nurse today and have had gliclazide increased to maximum, next step insulin. Today I lost a battle but not the war, I'm in it for the long haul, onwards my friends
I don't know what criteria they use for prescribing Trulicity but that is the non-insulin medication I was given after metformin and Januvia. Might be worth asking about that drug, it is highly successful for me.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Thank you for the info jpscloud. I will bear this in mind next time I see her. Does it do the same as gliclazide? (not that I am clear on that either.

Ponchu

Santa is type 2 diabetic. True story.

Personally I don’t do “treats” as I have my treats every day in the form of delicious high fat foods. I speak only for myself of course, but there is a very valid argument that says if you need treats then your diet probably needs some tweaking. This will be my second Christmas after diagnosis and I’m 100% resolute that I will not be consuming any carbohydrate or alcohol, because I don’t want to be diabetic again in 2019 :shifty:

Sorry if my tone seems terse, just injecting some motivation :pompous:

This is a great mindset. It is a “thankful” one that makes sense physically & psychologically.

Celebrating w butter, animal fats, wonderful meats....

Great post.

Reactions: Prem51

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only you know yourself well enough to decide how best to proceed.
I have both feet firmly planted in St Augustine's camp.- Complete abstinence is easier than perfect moderation
I have never been able to do the so called moderation, especially around the foods that epitomise my complete and utter loss of control, whether its of my food choices, food quantities or being able to walk away from the foods that I used to love pre dox, which I know could spell my catastrophic demise.
I took a long hard look at myself and accepted that fact.
I have other strengths, and doing moderation around food I love, which will ultimately be deadly for me, because of my condition is not one of them....I pick my battles.
Getting into fights I am guaranteed to lose is not one of them.

I actually made it through the day yesterday without any grains. I occasionally eat them in the form of oatmeal or an Atkins low-carb high-protein bar but yesterday I didn't eat even those, and this morning my FBG was a nice low 5.1.

I will try it again today but may be very difficult since I bought another box of Atkins bars yesterday. I'm hoping they will stay in the cupboard 'til Christmas Day.

M

Member496333

This is a great mindset. It is a “thankful” one that makes sense physically & psychologically.

Celebrating w butter, animal fats, wonderful meats....

Great post.

Yup. Eat plants and animals. Lots of them :hungry:

Reactions: Ponchu

Ponchu

I’m fortunate enough to both love salad and tolerate a small amount of tomato & carrot.

Not everyone can.

My staple uses to be

Steak
Baked potato
Salad
Buttery corn

I don’t tolerate the baked potato & haven’t tested corn.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the info jpscloud. I will bear this in mind next time I see her. Does it do the same as gliclazide? (not that I am clear on that either.
Oops only just saw this. I don't know much about gliclazide or actually how trulicity works, sorry to say, except that it isn't insulin. I do think my improved health and blood sugars are to do with the change in appetite trulicity caused though.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello - I’ve not fallen off the wagon so much as jumped off it. HbA1C over 80.

Gliclazide is a sulphonylurea, it stimulates the pancreas to make more insulin. Trulicity works completely differently, it mimics a gut hormone called GLP-1. Its effects are to encourage insulin release, suppress the release of glucose from the liver and slow the emptying of the stomach.

I’ve just been prescribed Trulicity to go with my increased dose of Metformin and I’m going to start just after Christmas. And then back on the low carb....

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've jumped off like a stunt man this week.
More self reward.More OCD.
More stress due to the perfect holiday break.
Fed up and seems like a bout of weakness.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just enjoy the rest of the season , try to have some low carb treats and don't feel guilty at all .

I'm blessed as I don't drink alcohol I don't like it , but I do love sweet things and although i do I haven't missed sweet stuff like I thought i would .

My blood sugar has come right down to under 7.9 after eating . I'm very pleased with this as its only five weeks into keto diet .

I have a cup of mixed berries after my evening meal every night with whipped double cream and a sprinkle of dark chocolate on the top , I do have a small bar of dark chocolate too and it doesn't spike my sugar which is a bonus . I have had to choose 70 percent chocolate though as the darker makes me poorly .

So Christmas day we are at our son's and I am going to eat the dinner which he is making but just have a small roast potato and lots of meat and veg with gravy ( yes I'm going have some gravy ) because its made with all the juices of the meat .

I'm also going to have a bit of homemade all butter cake with double cream on . Boxing day back to the strict high fat low carb .

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
I’m confused . I’ve been LCHF for the last 9 months ,since diagnosis .
Last HbA1c was 39 waiting for new results atm . I like a drink . Low carb beer . A few pints at the weekend . A few malt whiskeys now and again etc etc . I’m sitting here now sipping a nice brandy and light ginger ale . After a big steak and eggs . My bloods haven’t been above 5.8 for months now . I’m just wondering am I doing something wrong . Everyone seems to be saying alcohol is a no no . Or a treat I actually have a nice drink most weekends and my bloods are pretty good all round . It goes a bit low sometimes but I’m not on any meds and I feel ok at about 3.7 to 3.9 . But next day it’s up to about 5 to 5.6 . I think if you know how many carbs you’re taking in with the beer or whatever you should be ok .

Reactions: Geoffno6 and Prem51

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Alcohol depresses blood glucose. Just saying.....

My understanding is that if carb count is the main concern, go for spirits as first choice, then dry wine, then beer as last choice. As with anything else, there are pros and cons. Some people would prefer to have one of their first choice from time to time, than drink an inferior (to their taste buds) alternative more often.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have half a bottle of Mc Williams 10 year old tawny port left which will be gone over xmas. :D
That sounds really nice. Any suggestions for a port that's not too dry? Also, what's the carb content like? Remember my mum used to have the odd port and lemon!

D

Deleted member 308541

That sounds really nice. Any suggestions for a port that's not too dry? Also, what's the carb content like? Remember my mum used to have the odd port and lemon!
I only buy that particular bottle I mentioned, I would not know how many carbs were in a standard drink though.

I would not be putting lemon in it at the price per bottle, old tawny port is like sipping whisky you drink it neat.

Reactions: Tori71

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I'm chasing after that wagon now, eating its dust (and other stuff I shouldn't be eating!)

I've had a weight gain, a fair few pounds, and I'm not feeling as well as I was just over a week ago. My mood is also unhappy and a little depressive and needless to say my sugars are up, though the medication is helping. I will get back to better control when I go back to work, but for the moment it's not happening.

Rational me: For goodness' sake, you know you're feeling **** because you're not eating right and being lazy.
Irrational me: More chips, please. Is there any ice cream left?

Reactions: Ponchu

Ponchu

Well I'm chasing after that wagon now, eating its dust (and other stuff I shouldn't be eating!)

I've had a weight gain, a fair few pounds, and I'm not feeling as well as I was just over a week ago. My mood is also unhappy and a little depressive and needless to say my sugars are up, though the medication is helping. I will get back to better control when I go back to work, but for the moment it's not happening.

Rational me: For goodness' sake, you know you're feeling **** because you're not eating right and being lazy.
Irrational me: More chips, please. Is there any ice cream left?

I am beginning to believe what some doctors are saying about the brain’s reaction to processed sugars mimicking cocaine or heroin.

I hope depression clears for you within a few days of getting away from sugars.

Reactions: jpscloud