Stupidly cheated and now feel awful!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Purely for experimental purposes I decided to take a ‘hit for science’ and have a mince pie with clotted cream this afternoon with readings as follows - 5.8 just before eating, 7.5 1 hour after and 6.00 2 hours after. I’m calling it a success however I did find it a little sweet so may refrain in future

I did the same thing, but with a full fat Fage Greek yogurt, with similar results, and I also found it very sweet, even with the yogurt. I put it down to the yogurt flattening out the spike.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, I am assuming a mince pie is not a pie made of minced beef with a crust. ???

Please enlighten me, someone. (And then I can post about what chess pie is if anyone would like.)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mince-pies-news-960x480.jpg

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Ah but how lucky we are eh! An extra jab and that mince pie (or equivalent because I hate mincemeat) is history. :)
@KK123 I tend to think the same way sometimes but I won't do it. The sugar has to go somewhere and with the insulin as Santa's little helper, it'll be made it to fat for when the lean times come. I'll have a small nibble to say I've shared but that's my lot

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Ha ha Jim, I know!!! I think I would struggle if I was type 2, I am very good at restraint but if somebody tells me 'you can't have that' even if it's myself......well...I rarely have a 'treat' as it were but I like knowing that I could if I wanted to, I think that's the main difference. :)
OK ignore the other comments @KK123 we agree, sorry

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, I am assuming a mince pie is not a pie made of minced beef with a crust. ???

Please enlighten me, someone. (And then I can post about what chess pie is if anyone would like.)

No meat at all. Minced up fruit such as raisins, currants, apple, mixed peel, bit of brandy, and such like. Lots of sugar all inside a pastry cup with pastry top. Very much full of glucose but delicious.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mince pies used to be spiced meat in a savoury crust - the reduction in cost of sugar, spices, dried fruit, candied peel meant that the meat part was reduced to just the suet. Having tasted a 'real' mince pie, it was very strange, but not at all bad.
I think some people might have had a problem with discarding the pastry, either from a social angle or just being tempted, or even not wanting to waste food - but it was just before Christmas when my grandmother eventually died from the complications of diabetes, so I have a little extra prompting to do the unusual thing.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What does everyone feel abou the term 'cheating on your diet'? Surely you are not in a committed relationship with the low carb diet so can't have an affair with a tasty chocolate biscuit or a fling with a fondant fancy etc. Seriously though, the words we use do resonate with pointless guilt/shame sometimes!

I don't consider that any of my treats have to be of the high carb variety - and most of mine aren't, so I can enjoy them with (carb free!) impunity. But if I do occasionally take a slight dietary diversion into higher carb regions, it's simply a little piece wilful bl**dy minded foolishness on my part rather than "cheating" or "falling off the wagon" and something I know is best avoided for health reasons, but I certainly don't believe I've caused myself a major dietary disaster by doing so. :eek:

Robbity

mr_cat

Out on a Christmas do with friends last night.
Restaurant was the sort of place that if i eliminated carbs there would not be much left on the menu.
I guess I could have just eaten a piece of meat and a slice of cheese and waited for the others to finish.
But to hell with that and dove right in!
The one thing that blew my mind was.. sticky toffee pudding with ice cream, I never eat sweet so its intensity
was insane so sweet it was almost like eating chillies.
After that a pub crawl with ales and whiskies.
I would have been fascinated to have done some bs tests over the evening but have run out of cassettes for my
monitor.
I don't think anyone should beast themselves up for the odd festive binge if their bodies can cope.
Enjoy your festivities people:)

Reactions: Elvbro

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for telling me about mince pies. :) They sound a little like fruitcake which is a Christmas tradition (usually bought rather than home-baked). A friend of mine used to bake Christmas fruit cookies that I think were similar too.

I am sorry to hear about your grandmother, @Resurgam .

Good name, @mr_cat ^. .^

Last edited:

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

well, in the middle ages (as late as the reign of Queen Elizabeth and for all I know later) they were made with minced beef or lamb plus the other ingredients, citrus peel, suet, some booze, raisins, hence mince pies. Nowadays they are made without the meat

Later edit : Oh dear, I appear to have repeated more or less Resurgam’s info. I must read threads more closely. Sorry all

Last edited:

Lovejoy00

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your replies (earlier on), I've been fine, except today I had a roulade! 58g/48g (Carbs/Sugar!)

My blood suagar was 9.2, 2 hours later, I will be skipping dessert tomorrow!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your replies (earlier on), I've been fine, except today I had a roulade! 58g/48g (Carbs/Sugar!)

My blood suagar was 9.2, 2 hours later, I will be skipping dessert tomorrow!
You could always have jelly and cream or berries. I make ‘grown up’ sugar free jelly which is 2/3 water and 1/3 wine with berries in it served with cream. For some reason there’s never any left!!

nadiq38

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been fine all year since diagnosis, however for a few days last week and this, I have basically been very naughty.

Just eating a few biscuits/cakes/mince pies at work here and there and now I feel awful. I am peeing more often and my groin aches, these are exactly the symptoms I had just before diagnosis.

I have obviously stopped being silly for two days now, but I imagine my body will take a while to adapt.

My blood sugar level last night appeared normal however I wasn't testing during binge week! :(

Hopefully it's just a lesson learnt, and a treat should be an occasional treat, not a daily feature , Christmas or not!
Hi. Hope you feeling better now. Sadly we all do it occasionally. Won't be first time or last, but the so called hangover is a reminder. Big hugs to you

Dinet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
What does everyone feel abou the term 'cheating on your diet'? Surely you are not in a committed relationship with the low carb diet so can't have an affair with a tasty chocolate biscuit or a fling with a fondant fancy etc. Seriously though, the words we use do resonate with pointless guilt/shame sometimes!
hehe yes it is funny. But i think the chosen words are very appropriate coz we are in a "committed relationship" where we voed to be different than before blah blah
but hey , naughty habits die hard, let's reboot and restart !

Dinet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
a mince pie has on average 40g of carbs. that's 4 slices of bread worth.
goodness me!!!! they deliver quite a punch for their little size!!!