Stopping Metformin

Simha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It used to be a common wisdom to avoid red meat and eggs but not anymore. The new rules are not avoidable of meat but sugar in any form and reducing of carbs but not eliminated it completely because Carbs very much important for body energy. The new research suggests that the problem most likely with sugar.

And so it is never sure what is for the best. I follow my own instinct. I do not eat red meat, don't drink softdrinks, not even lights, no alcohol, avoid added sugar if I am aware it's in it. But I do eat bread, rice, pasta and potato. all in small portions, though.

Just saw that plate laden with food in the Jason Fung clip.
Where does a body leave all that? I don't eat half of that on a good day.

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to Dr. Fung carbs are not necessary for the body at all.
Burning fat for fuel instead of sugar (carbs) is best.
That is the ketogenic diet. Keep your carbs under 20 gr per day.

I make my own bread daily in a microwave in 90 seconds, either with almond flour or coconut flour.

Here is a video:

My average blood glucose for the last 3 months is 6.6 (UK) - 118 (US)
Also lost 5.5 Kg weight in 3 months. 5 Kg more to go for normal BMI.

Last edited:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
The negative from this is that it stores glucose and water as glucogen in the muscles for future use as a local fast access energy store. If we are sedentary and do not use this up, then it tends to stay stored, along with the associated water in the cells, leading to weight gain. Not such a problem as the other storage cells in the adipose cells and liver, but this weight is the kind that WW and other sliming diets are geared to reduce quickly so giving impressive success stories. This is why weight lost by diet gets regained quickly again since it is just sugar and water as glucogen otherwise wrongly referred to as fat.

Insulin also opens the door for lipid fats to be stored in the liver and adipose tissue which is how metabolic syndeome starts - this fat is true fat and much harder to shift. Glucose can also become converted into s form that can also be stored in the adipose tissue but that is a slow inefficient process that only occurs when sugar levels are low(ish) as it is a starvation protection mechanism. These last two are not really affected by Metformin being there or not, so it is muscle IR that it can help to reduce. If bgl numbers are the thing that rows your boat, then Met is good. If you look at T2D in the round then it may help a little, but not a lot since what goes in tends to stay in if not used. Of course the other route is for excess glucose to be filtered out and excreted in the time honoured tradition for T2D - peeing a lot, This obviously takes time and is not a quick fix either. Some T1D get put on Met too but that is for overall protection rather than fighting bgl levels and IR.

Metformin has other interesting properties and is apparently helpful in providing protection to the cardio vascular system as a whole.
Is glucogen different to glycogen?

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From Dr. Berg: Do we really need carbohydrates?

Check out his channel. Lots of good info for diabetes

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BG Level for the last 3 months (October, November, December 2018)

Screen grab from my mobile phone

46408470972_2a79d85f0e_z.jpg

bchabfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi xfieldok thank you for the welcome! I had 2 weetabix unsweeted soya milk for break fast skipped lunch as I didn't feel very well the dreaded tummy issues 2 coffees dinner was a slimming world recipe for chicken stirfry with egg noodles and a coffee and 3 plain biscuits at around 7pm I took 130 units of lantus at 10 before bed. I try to reduce carbs as in breads etc as much as I can but I usually have a sandwich for lunch with 2 slices of 60 calorie brown wholemeal bread with either chicken tinned salmon or ham filling and during the day strawberries raspberries and some Greek yogurt with a spoon of chia seeds I don't tolerate salads well lettuce is a nightmare for adding to my already bloated and painful tummy so mainly I eat the same thing most days but I do crave carbs a lot !
hi everyone I am new on here and I've not been on a diabetes forum before! I am looking for advice. I am type 2 for the past ten years and take aphidra and lantus insulins up until yesterday I also took 2000 mg of Metformin each day but because of worsening tummy and bowel problems my GP stopped it yesterday and while even in this short time I feel better my fasting bs was 21.9 this morning and have struggled all day to get it down using lots about 240 units of Apidhra insulin today he advised me to check my blood sugars regularly and increase insulin as needed to any advice from type 2 s would be very welcome please!!! Also I am very insulin resistant and find it difficult to lose weight thanks in advance. Mary

I have cut down on the pastas and white rice. more cooked vegetables. Also remember exercise is very important