intestine problems

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
has anyone here had any problems with there body small intestine not absorbing certain carbs such as sugar i just wanted to ask has doctor helped in any way and how is day to day life

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @static192, could you please be a little more specific? And from reading etc, not as professional advice or opinion:
What types of carbs are you referring to? And do you mean that eating such carbs is not causing a rise in BSLs?
Or could it be that the carbs are more slowly absorbed either because they are structured that way (and one would need to test BSLs latter than the usual 2 hours (e.g. lentils and other beans, but not broad beans) OR
that they are not absorbed because of malabsorption maybe? think of coeliac disease where intake of gluten damages the wall of the small intestine?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
has anyone here had any problems with there body small intestine not absorbing certain carbs such as sugar i just wanted to ask has doctor helped in any way and how is day to day life

Hi Static - I can't comment too much as I'm, fortunately, not in the same boat as you, but I do have a couple of questions that might help clarify things, if you don't mind?

Firstly, how do you know your small intestine is not absorbing certain carbs? Have you had tests? If so, what were you tested for and do you have the results?

There are several reasons you could have malabsorption issues, but without a few clues it's not easy to comment too much further.

If you haven't seen your Doc already about this, you should do that, and likely have the usual raft of bloods done including various antibody profiles and vitamin panels. That could start to set your scene.

Like a lot of things, once a position is established, plans can be put in place for correcting or managing and consitions found. That feeling of feeling something just isn't right but being"in the dark" is horrid.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi problems is when i drink a sugary drink i have zero/no blood sugar rise i have even test eating pure sugar and tested and tested levels in blood no rise what so ever also never.feel hungry at all and im not constipated also seems if i go without basal insulin my body doesnt dump glucose or raise up sugar levels which is another wierd thing iv spoke to doctors they are not any helping at all they did a fbc blood test but said all is fine only thing that seems to affect my blood. is drinking glucose drink and food products such as white bread rice krispies cereal etc, rice etc im not honeymooning after 17+ years diabetic and im not type 2. iv just want to ask for any advice anything anyone can reccomend

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
H @static192, Not as professional advice or opinion:
I do not have an answer, but has coeliac disease been ruled out?
And I have seen GTTs of people with under-active thyroid function which show minimal rises on BSL and because of low thyroid function they have reduced cortisol output which may affect liver dump etc.
Just a thought ?

Reactions: masonbason63

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi kitedoc i did have a serum TSH test it was 0.68 and the range is between 0.35-4.94 i just checked was just reading test result month ago is there any other thyroid or test that i could request requarding the very minimal rise in bsl when i miss my basal

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @static192, You would need to check with your doctor about interpreting those thyroid results but the normal ranges usually found next to the results should help you to see if they are in range (certainly looking at the ranges of my test they are but ranges might differ a bit from place to place). No other thyroid tests that I could find to do - but again checkwith your doctor.
The other thought is whether for some reason your body breaks down insulin more slowly so that it lasts between meals.
Not sure whether this explains everything but something to ask the 'brains trust'.

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
One intestine problem I have noticed is constipation if you have too many meals with dairy products but not enough with at least one green vegetable but no dairy products. Most dairy products are high in calcium. Most green vegetables, especially leaves, are high in magnesium. If you have both at the same meal, your intestines will absorb only the calcium. Magnesium is needed to make your large intestine move properly. Dark chocolate also contains magnesium, but not as much as the darker leaves, such as turnip greens.