Should I have went to the hospital?

dmckatana

I have been type 1 for nearly 30 years. But my b.s. recently has been a bit high.

Yesterday when I woke up I was 21.5 and pretty much stayed there all day. Even with corrections

It's a lot better this morning it's only 15.6.

Do other people think that I should have went to the hospital?

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It would depend on other things. Are you able to test for ketones? if they were high then depending on how high, then yes, but also how you were feeling? if you were having any symptoms of dka, then yes, also.

High blood sugars are a sign of something not going right, could be illness, like an infection, or it could be something relatively easy to fix, like insulin not working properly, or forgetting a dose (it happens to us all!).

You have to make a judgement on how serious you feel the situation is. Good to hear it;s come down this morning, hopefully it will go lower during the day, but be careful.

Reactions: EllieM

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been type 1 for nearly 30 years. But my b.s. recently has been a bit high.

Yesterday when I woke up I was 21.5 and pretty much stayed there all day. Even with corrections

It's a lot better this morning it's only 15.6.

Do other people think that I should have went to the hospital?
Hi there.
I don't know whether you follow your usual strict routine especially on Christmas day. I do my best with carb counting etc. But I never hope for my usual good control for these couple of days. My readings on Christmas day varied between 15 and 21. This morning around 12.7 when usually about 4.7.
If you felt really unwell with ketones all day and still now, then maybe you could have considered 111. For me it's just Christmas and it's a major trial. Good luck

Reactions: dmckatana

dmckatana

Hi there.
I don't know whether you follow your usual strict routine especially on Christmas day. I do my best with carb counting etc. But I never hope for my usual good control for these couple of days. My readings on Christmas day varied between 15 and 21. This morning around 12.7 when usually about 4.7.
If you felt really unwell with ketones all day and still now, then maybe you could have considered 111. For me it's just Christmas and it's a major trial. Good luck
I have an insulin pump and yeah I do my.best with carb counting even on Christmas. I have enough complications as it without adding even more lol.