giving up smoking, making you diabetic??

sue999

hello, i have read on the news today that giving up smoking can make you diabetic. i gave up smoking just over a year ago & was diagnosed in november with t2. i am slightley over weight size 14-16 and am 33. diabetes is in the family. do you think i caused this by my size & giving up smoking? or would it off happened anyway?

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
do you think i caused this by my size & giving up smoking? or would it off happened anyway?

If this is the case then I did it to myself too, I had a heart attack in March 08 and from that day I never touched another ciggerette, I am also overweight and am over 40, my nephew has T1 but from his mothers side of the family.

Maybe someone on here who has more knowledge of Diabetes can answer this question.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi,
There are many people who are borderline diabetics who would just need a moderate increase in their dietary intake to push them above the line to full blown diabetes.
Many people (most?) who stop smoking, increase their food consumption, hence if one was borderline and gave up smoking, then this could cause an intake increase. It would then be the excessive consumption of carbohydrates which causes the escalation of their diabetes and not the giving up smoking per se,

Regards Steve.

Yvonne-1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got type 2 about a year after I stopped smoking, I do not believe that giving up the fags makes a person diabetic. It made me put on a bit of weight when I gave up, maybe that extra weight was the trigger for the diabetes gene to kick in. I don't have any history of diabetes in either side of my family.

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hate bbc news headlines, they're really misleading. What it actually means is eating more food makes you more at risk and stopping smoking just makes you more hungry. Anybody not bothered to read the rest of the article might assume that they should keep smoking to prevent themselves getting type 2 diabetes.

jonwom

I gave up smoking about 16-18 months ago and lo behold I was told that I was type 2 about a year ago. Never thought about it before, but now it makes me wonder.
I have always been a bit podgy and stopping smoking didn't make me gain any weight.

badmedisin

Probably it's just from eating all the time when you give up smoking. Although the last time I tried to give up, I went hypo all the time, and the doctor said it's because nicotine raises your blood sugar. Weird.

Kastrian

I gave up smoking 13 months ago and was diagnosed T2 beginning of Nov 09, I did put some weight on but my family history is full of T2 Diabetics.

Debby xx

i have read quiet alot on diabetics, and have discovered that it is an inflammitory problem.
sometimes when you give a prolonged shock to the body,IE; giving up smoking , a prolonged infection with lots of antibiotics,etc. it can cause the immune system to go into overdrive and instead of attacking the infection if there is one or it may perceive ther is an infection even if ther is none because of the shock of giving up smoking, and stafts to attack the body instead !

To calm the inflammation down try Star oil(Borage oil) 3 x daily plus fish oil (not cod liver oil).
Also to help keep the blood sugar down try cromium 200mcg, start at one a day andwork up to 3 a day , keep an eye on your blood sugar while your using this as it is very good at lowering it.
You must speak to your doctor before you start tis treatment so he can check how you are going.

abdulkarim

Hi, Same thing happened to me I gave up smoking but I put on a lot of weight (43 kg) It is near impossible to loose weight now I became diabetic T2, although like you diabetes IN the family but still I was diagnosed diabetic only after stopping smoking and putting on weight, SMOKING TO ME WAS WORSE THAN DIABETES, I am so happy I stopped even with the problems happened after
I am only sad about my clothes which I couldn't wear. :D :D :D I TELL YOU GUYS
YOU CAN LIVE VERY LONG WITH DIABETES
BUT YOU CAN DIE VERY YOUNG WHILE SMOKING
OUR LIVES AND BODIES ARE OUR RESPONSIBILITY AND SO PRECIOUS
DO NOT WASTE IT SMOKING
DIABETES IS 100% CONTROLLABLE BUT SMOKING ISN'T

love XXXX
Abdulkarim

Amanda Hugankiss

Dislikes
Chaos
Ihave been surprised by how many women contracted Diabetes following a hysterectomy like myself. This also might be worth investigating

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello, Interesting point amanda makes, could it be hormone changes n lowered oestrogen levels in females? after an hystrectomy onsetting the menapause? As in my case have been told my type2 is midlife onset diabetes following the menapause... after an hystorectomy! Was fine until hit 45yrs of age then it all kicked in. Like I said interesting point to think of . Anna.x

BAZZA_P

I gave up smoking 18 months ago and was diasgnosed with type 2 Diabetes 2 months a ago - I did eat more carbs when i quit and more snacks. Like on my breaks at work i would have a packet of mccoys or a snickers instead of a ciggy but i could of had an apple or some lettuce if i wanted to but i didnt so my fault - makes you wonder but hey its not cool to smoke and you cant not quit smoking because of being afraid of getting diabetes.

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
Saw the post title and it made me wonder,
it was about 18months after i gave up smoking that i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes
i had put some weight on but i put this down to working 12 hour shifts at a computer and the lack of regular exercise,
Also the fact that i was constantly tired and sleepy when i had expected to be feeling so much better without the smoke clogging my lungs !! that was what prompted me to see the doc for tests
its a thought and wonder if others have experienced similar?
Crofty

islelassie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is not giving up smoking that makes you diabetic but it may well be the medication given to help give up smoking . A new drug generic name varenicline ( also known as chantix is subject to new litigation in the USA for various side effects including sudden onset diabetes.
[Chantix Claims and Lawsuits
Thus far, since the start of 2009, Pfizer and their drug Chantix have come under FDA scrutiny, and following studies, were mandated to carry a black box warning label noting increases in depression, suicidal tendencies, and homicidal actions. Lawsuits stemming from consumption of Chantix revolve around wrongful death claims related to suicide and homicide, severe injury or permanent damage due to suicide attempts,]onset diabetes claims, and several neurological and skin disorders. Individual suits have been filed, and in time, class action against Pfizer and other companies affiliated with Chantix are expected to occur.

My son in law, aged 32, was prescribed this drug last October and yes it stopped him from smoking but within a month he became so ill, he was found to have sudden onset Type 1 diabetes. He was totally healthy and fit before he took chantix and is now extremely unwell, his pancreas appears to have shut down altogether.

Is this a coincidence? We thought so until we saw there was litigation in the USA for this and other damage done by this drug.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Ah, the evil weed - certainly has to be beneficial to quit, but I wonder if cutting down gradually is less of a shock to the system - does anyone have any experience of this :?:

galgal

i went on the champix pill (it's called Champix in Ireland) on July 2010 and smoked my last cigarette in August. I did not put on any extra weight - I had just lost 25lbs before giving up smoking. I was diagnosed with type II in April this year. I had not signs of diabetes and I never felt as healthy - I just happened to visit my gp on a regular visit and she did the test and found out I had type 11. I have heard that that champix pill can trigger diabetis. I also had other side effects from that pill which were very disturbing.