Carol

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I had hugely high vit D levels- off the scale. And thankfully at the time I asked my Oncologist to check my vitD before giving it as carte blanche to me.

My vit D has taken almost 3 years to come down to high normal... despite giving up the unprotected sun from gardening as a job and at home gardening as a hobby.

One thing the doctors do religiously for me is to check my vit D levels and calcium (I have to take calcium nitrate) regularly to ensure my levels are balanced.

I really would advise getting blood tests done first before taking any strength vit D3.

torchman2

There’s a lot of different advice out there on dosage, and what is sufficient/excessive.
Could you please give a reference for that statement, so that people can make up their own minds about your advice.

Plenty of anecdotal evidence of forums where people post their doses, and their intake per day.

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/why-does-the-vitamin-d-council-recommend-5000-iuday/#.XCUP8BP7Q_U

"Together with his coauthors, Professor Heaney stated that for a normal weight adult, 5,000 IU/day of total input was needed to obtain a vitamin D level of 40 ng/ml. Of course the final vitamin D level obtained by any dose depends on baseline level, sun exposure and genetics. But he was speaking of the average adult."

My post also says " you MAY need..." and encourages blood testing.

Of course, use the minimum effective dose. For me, 1000 made hardly any difference to me, was only able to get up to 40 when regularly taking 5000 a day [note: mainly in autumn/winter].