Looking for some advice from pump users

jade88

Hi I’m 30 years old type 1 diabetic for 10 years. Have also had good control but now have toddler and a baby and have been struggling with my HBAC1 for nearly 10 months now!
My team have suggested trying a pump but I have almost no knowlege about them so feeling a bit overwhelmed! If anyone has any advice on what pumps are good or how they find them versus using insulin pens it would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @jade88

As one mum to another I would recommend getting one. Once you’ve done all the hard work with adjusting ratios and getting used to it then after that it’s much simpler to manage it, you can bolus for 17g of carb rather than rounding up to 20g for x units of insulin, you can set basal rates for various times of the day/night so your insulin management is more finely controlled.

Go for it and be prepared to put some work in but it will help massively in the long term.

jade88

Thanks for your reply Juicyj it’s reassuring to hear other mums have found it useful! Any advice or recommendations or good pumps? Not sure which ones are available on NHS?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You'll need to check what pumps your clinic offer as different areas do different options.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Good on you @jade88 for posting and welcome!!
After 45 years on insulin and struggling to prevent nighttime hypos on 8 plus injections per day switching to a pump was a godsend. 7 years later I have not looked back. What I mention below is from my own experience of the insulin pumps and is not meant as professional advice or opinion.
The pump forum on this site is a good source of information and you can type searches in the question box Right hand top about subjects like pump brands, needle ports, where to wear the pump etc. And there are reviews done by people on the net where you get to hear the stuff that pump reps do not mention such as the level and reliability of service, and annoying features vs good features of each pump brand. Of course rely on your health team who will be training you about the pump etc.
Where you live, what country etc will have a lot to do with what pump(s) are available to you, what costs are involved etc.
You are likely to be pretty familiar with multiple daily insulin injections per day, called mdi and the idea of a basal-bolus regime? As in bolus is with short-actin insulin and basal is via long-acting insulin.
In an insulin pump only short-acting insulin is used. The basal regime is carried out by the pump putting in small doses of insulin every hour, more or less in a continuous fashion. At meals times a bolus infusion of insulin is used to help cover the rise in blood sugar from the meal, to correct high BSLs etc..
The beauty of the pump is that rather than injecting one or two doses of long acting insulin to deal with ones BSLs overnight and between meals the basal infusion can be varied hour by hour to best suit your needs. For example some of us have a rise in blood sugar in the early morning (type in 'Dawn Phenomenon' in the question box on the Home page of this site to read about it). My basal regime for example is fashioned to put in extra insulin before this expected rise to prevent the rise happening. Not something that can be easily done with long-acting insulin, or you could wake up at say 3 am each morning and inject some short-acting insulin maybe on your mdi regime. Just the thing you need when sleep is at a premium for you !!
There are ways that the doctor or nurse helps work out how much insulin you would need to pump in for a meal depending on the current blood sugar level (BSL) and the amount of carbs you are going to eat. Also there is a way to calculate (the pump does it then for you) how much of a correction dose of insulin you need to correct a high BSL. And as these figures can vary through out the day (do you need more short-acting insulin to control BSL rise after breakfast than after dinner)?
Other features can include, at some cost, a Continuous Glucose Monitoring system (CGM) where another device is placed on your skin with a fine cannula (tube) inserted under the skin and which reads your BSL and transfers the result to the pump.
One brand, and others to follow, can slow or stop the pump infusing insulin if you experience a hypo, but only if you are wearing the CGM. Not all pumps are capable of using CGM yet. Some pumpers prefer to use one of the other CGM devices like a Libre although these do not link to pumps as readily.
What about the downsides of the pump:
Some people find the pump gets in the way, there being essentially two types of pump: pumps with tubes and those without.
Pumps with tubing, tubey pumps as we call them, such as the Medtronic, Tandem ones have a tube carrying the insulin from the pump to a needle inserted under the skin. The pump has all the buttons or touch screen on it. So one device only. Whilst this means a lot of variety in where the pump can be put, the tubing can get tangled or caught on things and the needle under the skin pulled out. Some pumps are bulkier than others and this can be cosmetically displeasing although there are lots of carrying devices to make life easier. (I like the stuffed Lion toy for children in the Medtronic range)!!!.
Non-tubey pumps such as the the Omnipod have the reservoir of insulin, and pump in a patch stuck to the skin, with the needle going direct from this to under the skin. A separate device, about the size of a mobile phone, is used to deliver instructions to the patch about how much insulin to deliver etc. So the places where to put the patch may limit one a bit and some people worry about misplacing the separate control device (think about the inconvenience of misplacing the TV remote).
All current pumps have the risk of: cannula problems - the needle under the skin lasts about 2 to 3 days, so changing that needle and filling up a new reservoir of insulin is a 2nd to 3rd daily routine (compared to 4 plus daily injections that you may be doing now).
When cannulas block or bend the delivery of insulin is affected and this affects BSLs. Because the cannula (either plastic or metal) is under the skin you cannot readily tell if it is bent, or partly blocked. So with otherwise unexplained high BSLs you need to think about changing the cannula set.
The big thing about such situations of less insulin being delivered when on an insulin pump is that there is no great reservoir of insulin in your body compared to when you are taking long-acting insulin. If the pump cannot deliver its supply of shorting insulin or can only do so marginally the last remaining insulin might last ? 6 hours, where as with an injection of long acting insulin that will last ? 20 hours plus from injection. So you are likely to develop high BSLs and ketones faster with a blocked pump than on mdi.
Rarely pumps can fail
. Like every piece of machinery things can go wrong. The way to make provision for this or where the cannulas keep blocking (not a usual situation beyond one or two) is to carry and store not only the short-acting insulin needed for the pump anyway but some long-acting insulin as a back up.
Finally pumps work with a battery which is either replaced periodically or recharged. So charging cords, chargers, or a spare battery is needed.
So there are pluses and minuses of sorts. People will no doubt post in about their individual pumps and the pros and cons. e.g. @helensaramay, @Mel dCP , @tim2000s ,@Chowie @aphex2k @Chas C
I shall leave it there for now (to hopefully prevent you getting indigestion )!!
Best Wishes. And about small children:
IMG_3716.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69

moreton1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Pump is very good for managing diabetes once you've got it set up right for you, however a word of warning, if you like a drink and I mean going out drinking i.e more than just a couple then you really need to be careful on a pump because you can experience extreme hypos quickly if you're not careful

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Good on you @jade88 for posting and welcome!!
After 45 years on insulin and struggling to prevent nighttime hypos on 8 plus injections per day switching to a pump was a godsend. 7 years later I have not looked back. What I mention below is from my own experience of the insulin pumps and is not meant as professional advice or opinion.
The pump forum on this site is a good source of information and you can type searches in the question box Right hand top about subjects like pump brands, needle ports, where to wear the pump etc. And there are reviews done by people on the net where you get to hear the stuff that pump reps do not mention such as the level and reliability of service, and annoying features vs good features of each pump brand. Of course rely on your health team who will be training you about the pump etc.
Where you live, what country etc will have a lot to do with what pump(s) are available to you, what costs are involved etc.
You are likely to be pretty familiar with multiple daily insulin injections per day, called mdi and the idea of a basal-bolus regime? As in bolus is with short-actin insulin and basal is via long-acting insulin.
In an insulin pump only short-acting insulin is used. The basal regime is carried out by the pump putting in small doses of insulin every hour, more or less in a continuous fashion. At meals times a bolus infusion of insulin is used to help cover the rise in blood sugar from the meal, to correct high BSLs etc..
The beauty of the pump is that rather than injecting one or two doses of long acting insulin to deal with ones BSLs overnight and between meals the basal infusion can be varied hour by hour to best suit your needs. For example some of us have a rise in blood sugar in the early morning (type in 'Dawn Phenomenon' in the question box on the Home page of this site to read about it). My basal regime for example is fashioned to put in extra insulin before this expected rise to prevent the rise happening. Not something that can be easily done with long-acting insulin, or you could wake up at say 3 am each morning and inject some short-acting insulin maybe on your mdi regime. Just the thing you need when sleep is at a premium for you !!
There are ways that the doctor or nurse helps work out how much insulin you would need to pump in for a meal depending on the current blood sugar level (BSL) and the amount of carbs you are going to eat. Also there is a way to calculate (the pump does it then for you) how much of a correction dose of insulin you need to correct a high BSL. And as these figures can vary through out the day (do you need more short-acting insulin to control BSL rise after breakfast than after dinner)?
Other features can include, at some cost, a Continuous Glucose Monitoring system (CGM) where another device is placed on your skin with a fine cannula (tube) inserted under the skin and which reads your BSL and transfers the result to the pump.
One brand, and others to follow, can slow or stop the pump infusing insulin if you experience a hypo, but only if you are wearing the CGM. Not all pumps are capable of using CGM yet. Some pumpers prefer to use one of the other CGM devices like a Libre although these do not link to pumps as readily.
What about the downsides of the pump:
Some people find the pump gets in the way, there being essentially two types of pump: pumps with tubes and those without.
Pumps with tubing, tubey pumps as we call them, such as the Medtronic, Tandem ones have a tube carrying the insulin from the pump to a needle inserted under the skin. The pump has all the buttons or touch screen on it. So one device only. Whilst this means a lot of variety in where the pump can be put, the tubing can get tangled or caught on things and the needle under the skin pulled out. Some pumps are bulkier than others and this can be cosmetically displeasing although there are lots of carrying devices to make life easier. (I like the stuffed Lion toy for children in the Medtronic range)!!!.
Non-tubey pumps such as the the Omnipod have the reservoir of insulin, and pump in a patch stuck to the skin, with the needle going direct from this to under the skin. A separate device, about the size of a mobile phone, is used to deliver instructions to the patch about how much insulin to deliver etc. So the places where to put the patch may limit one a bit and some people worry about misplacing the separate control device (think about the inconvenience of misplacing the TV remote).
All current pumps have the risk of: cannula problems - the needle under the skin lasts about 2 to 3 days, so changing that needle and filling up a new reservoir of insulin is a 2nd to 3rd daily routine (compared to 4 plus daily injections that you may be doing now).
When cannulas block or bend the delivery of insulin is affected and this affects BSLs. Because the cannula (either plastic or metal) is under the skin you cannot readily tell if it is bent, or partly blocked. So with otherwise unexplained high BSLs you need to think about changing the cannula set.
The big thing about such situations of less insulin being delivered when on an insulin pump is that there is no great reservoir of insulin in your body compared to when you are taking long-acting insulin. If the pump cannot deliver its supply of shorting insulin or can only do so marginally the last remaining insulin might last ? 6 hours, where as with an injection of long acting insulin that will last ? 20 hours plus from injection. So you are likely to develop high BSLs and ketones faster with a blocked pump than on mdi.
Rarely pumps can fail
. Like every piece of machinery things can go wrong. The way to make provision for this or where the cannulas keep blocking (not a usual situation beyond one or two) is to carry and store not only the short-acting insulin needed for the pump anyway but some long-acting insulin as a back up.
Finally pumps work with a battery which is either replaced periodically or recharged. So charging cords, chargers, or a spare battery is needed.
So there are pluses and minuses of sorts. People will no doubt post in about their individual pumps and the pros and cons. e.g. @helensaramay, @Mel dCP , @tim2000s ,@Chowie @aphex2k @Chas C
I shall leave it there for now (to hopefully prevent you getting indigestion )!!
Best Wishes. And about small children:
View attachment 30283
Really useful @kitedoc

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Pump is very good for managing diabetes once you've got it set up right for you, however a word of warning, if you like a drink and I mean going out drinking i.e more than just a couple then you really need to be careful on a pump because you can experience extreme hypos quickly if you're not careful
So what do you do @moreton1985 unplug it?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

You shouldn’t experience more severe hypos if you manage the pump correctly i.e. set up a temp basal pattern as well as combining carbs with drinking which you would do anyway on MDI. If you’ve experienced severe hypos then discuss your pump settings with your DSN. Using a pump doesn’t automatically guarantee avoiding hypos as it’s down to how the user operates the pump.

Reactions: porl69

jade88

Thank you for taking the time to reply kitedoc and moreton1985! So much to think about! I don’t know what pumps my area offer but have an appt with my team on 10th so has given me a lot to consider in the meantime!

D

Deleted Account

I have been pumping for nearly 3 years after 12 years of injecting.
I have an Animas tube pump (which is no longer available and will be changed within the next 12 months). I was reluctant to be connected at all times so resisted pumps for years but would now be disappointed to have to revert to injecting.
I think my reason was different to others; I am very active but not predictably so. One day I may go to a spin class at lunch and climbing in the evening whilst the next day I may spend sitting on an airplane, doing nothing except changing to a different time zone.
The pump allows me to adjust my basal for these different scenarios.
@kitedoc has explained pumping very well.
A few extra advantages
- great for changing time zones. I don’t have to take my daily basal at inconvenient times
- great for adjusting basal when you are ill. With injections, I would increase my basal and wait 24 hours to increase or reduce it more. With the pump, I can increase it for a couple of hours and adjust it more or less every hour.
- you can turn off your basal temporarily if you notice your BG falling quickly or if you inject too much bolus.
- for short trips (less than a day), I carry much less paraphernalia as I don’t need to carry pens (I carry a syringe in case my pump fails).
And a few extra disadvantages
- for long trips (overnight or more), I carry much more paraphernalia as I need to carry supplies to change my cannula, tube and insulin cartridge.
- there are many more things to adjust on a pump. This means it can take some time to set up and making adjustments you are more likely to make mistakes (but you can quickly change if you do)
- the consequence of a pump fail (if you do not notice) means you have no basal which means you could experience DKA.
However, I have never experienced problems with kinked tune or blocked cannula @kitedoc mentioned. And whilst I have caught my tube in a door handle, it has never been pulled out the cannula.

jade88

Thanks Helensaramay that’s really helpful it’s good to know the downsides aswell as the positives!