Ground/milled flax seed

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Can anyone tell me how to use ground flax seed as a thickener?
and can it be used in cheese sauce?
and more importantly, is there a difference between ground and milled?
I've also heard it goes off quickly, is this true?
TIA

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use milled flax seed in gravy, I’m lazy and use instant gravy granules with half the granules recommended to water with some meat juices, then add flax to the thickness required.
I keep my packet in the freezer, it keeps for ages then. It does go off quite quickly otherwise, if I remember rightly you have to use it with 45 days and at the very least keep it in the fridge once opened.
I’m not sure how you’d use it in a cheese sauce, if you did I think you’d end up with brown specks in it!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy Linwoods Milled flaxseed. It comes in a sealed foiled packet. Once opened, It can be resealed and kept in the fridge. Before resealing it I squeeze all the air out. I open it and decant some to a tupperware type container, which I also keep in the fridge and use this. Mine has never gone off and I keep the sealed packet a long time. I think milled and ground are the same thing. Could be wrong about that. I don't use it as a thickener. I sprinkle it daily on food.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use mine to top of my yogurt and coffee-chia mix for my recurring breakfast.
Not bothered yet with it going off.... didn't know it did, so thank you for that info.
Milled and ground are the same in my book.
:)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I buy Linwoods Milled flaxseed. It comes in a sealed foiled packet. Once opened, It can be resealed and kept in the fridge. Before resealing it I squeeze all the air out. I open it and decant some to a tupperware type container, which I also keep in the fridge and use this. Mine has never gone off and I keep the sealed packet a long time. I think milled and ground are the same thing. Could be wrong about that. I don't use it as a thickener. I sprinkle it daily on food.
Thanks @Bluetit1802

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the Linwoods one with nuts in it too, as I don't like nuts much but they are supposed to be useful! Never had it go off, but I keep it in sealed plastic containers. I just put some in gravy or sprinkle on vegetables. I had not thought of it as a thickener, but I suppose it can do that.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make cheese sauce by gently heating double cream pulling off the heat before boiling and stirring in lots of grated mature cheddar and black pepper. Easy.

Reactions: hankjam