What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder does the same hold true of dog biscuits.
I had an Aunt and Uncle who used to take in rescue dogs they had about ten in all I would sometimes see Bill walking all ten dogs in the park they looked like a huge cloud of fur and legs with him in the middle progreesing across the park in a sort of gliding motion. My Aunt always had a pocket full of dog biscuits some times when I visited them she would ask would you like a biscuit John I would look apprehensively, hoping for a chocolate digestive or something but no she would reach into her pocket and bring forth a fist full of dog biscuits and hold them out for me to choose one I would decline she would smile sweetly and pick one her self and pop in into her mouth saying plenty of vitamins in one of these you know.

I sometimes wonder if she was right and they would make a good low carb snack somehow I don't really think so.

I always thought dog biscuits looked appetising - all the different colours - they’d be in big sacks on the floor of the local shop. My mum would never let me have one. Wish I’d known your aunt!

Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...a couple more days of celebrating then I can get back on the plan...dinner with friends last Thursday...dinner with family this evening...lunch & dinner with friends tomorrow ...longing for Monday when I can ditch the carbs (never thought I'd say that) and do some exercise...woke to a 6.2 which given my carb depravity is a great score.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

@rhubarb73 -- Well done on getting your average to your goal range. Brilliant achievement.
@jjraak and @SaskiaKC -- Dawn phenomenon, like you said, refers to higher blood sugars in the morning (as compared to the levels when you go to sleep in spite of fasting). For many of us, blood sugar levels even keep rising well into the morning. The way I understand is that our bodies release hormons (cortisol, growth hormone, epinephrine and glucagon) to give us energy to get up and moving. Normal people get this too (though the rise in blood sugars is almost not perceptable) because the body simultaneously releases insulin to keep blood sugars in check. The reason this is thought to be a problem in T2s is due to insulin resistance. Even though many T2s release sufficient insulin to counterbalance the other hormones, it doesn't quite work as well -- especially in the morning when most of us are most insulin-resistant.

Blood sugars this morning were 4.7.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.4 today

wow it's windy here today!, looks like there may be a resistance element to my walk down to the shop this morning :hilarious:

Hope your day treats you well :)
You continually absolutely crush this fbg thing and your A1c levels are to die for. "I will find you and I will ......":angelic: You always seem sane with a recognisable lifestyle (I know I have actually met real people like you) - just loving your work:) Have a great walk. The resistance part always amuses me. I live in the flattest part of the country and in a bungalow but when windy fitbit has me going up several flights of stairs.

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You continually absolutely crush this fbg thing and your A1c levels are to die for. "I will find you and I will ......":angelic: You always seem sane with a recognisable lifestyle (I know I have actually met real people like you) - just loving your work:) Have a great walk. The resistance part always amuses me. I live in the flattest part of the country and in a bungalow but when windy fitbit has me going up several flights of stairs.
Yes, agree perhaps the most consistent, great example to all. Many others with good numbers, but yours always within around 0.2.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, computer posted my post before I'd finished posting it. :(

@JohnEGreen and @DJC3 the cat treats I have don't show carb count, but 30% protein, 17% fat, 13% fiber. One day at one of the barns where I used to ride, two of us tried eating a horse treat. They looked like cookies and smelled like bran cereal, but tasted like burnt toast! However, the horses seemed to love them. Cat treats taste better IMO.

The practice of picking horses by color names sounds like a very good one to me.

The KittenCat just told me that if I am going to pick up her bag of treats and sit staring at it for several seconds, I should not then put it back down but open it up and give her at least two!

Lost in translation -- cat "biscuits" actually consist of air and sometimes tiny claw-pricks in human flesh. Ir describes cats kneading. Biscuits here aren't cookies but look more like scones, and some people make them with yeast, so they need kneading, so when cats knead they are "making biscuits." So, no carbs. I apologize, I should have said that before. I just didn't think.

@rhubarb73 have a lovely time at the beach.

Reactions: ianpspurs

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quote for today
FB_IMG_1544025669304.jpg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
“ Hi Sports fans.

And welcome to day two of the Olympic Bobsleigh, here at Calgary.
On what has been a beautiful, if cold Calgary morning here on the slopes. “

“The JAMAICANS, have just beaten their best practice runs, right here on the track, in there first ever olympics on the 2nd run, in their aptly named Bob sled, “Cool Runnings”.

“Say, Ted...Are we in for a day of shocks..?
as the Irish in THEIR first Run after their abysmal display on day one,, try to emulate the Jamaicans ?”

“well Arnie..I'd love to see it, but I very much doubt it..LoL”
“ Rumours abound that the team this week, and JJ, in particular, were seen out and about at the local clubs and clubs, enjoying the Local Hospitality.

And Coach Candy, has been quick to deny any claims that the police where involved at any time..”
“Not the best prep for an Olympian, I wouldn't have said, Arnie”

“ Sadly so, Ted.”

“...And sorry to interupt, but here ARE the Irish, about ready to enter the track..

Lets go trackside, to our correspondent... Saskia & CC”

“Morning and Thank you guys, It's Sakia, here.., hope your warm up there in the commentary box,

I can tell you it's 'Freezing' down here track side.”

“Hi guys, CC here... I can also say I have just seen the most bizarre pre run ritual..

in what Now seems to be almost tribal display by all the teams, the irish have just sung,

“Fields of Athenry”, while carry their sled, “Free-Bird” to the trackside.

“It's has been an 'interesting ' day for definite,....Thank you saskia & CC..”

“...And the bob is now ready, the timer is counting down..and there they go...”

“And THAT was great start, arnie...
A GREAT start from the irish..”

“..There they go through, bend one.... two …...and three at a great pace..”
“Round 'Eejit Corner' beautifully....”

“But Now comes the hardest bend the triple shocker,...Xmas day, Party & Guiness loop.....

“Oohh..there's a wobble.... to gasps from the crowd, JJ looks to have lost control...

“No ladies & Gents...he's OK , JJ seems to have snatched back control
they are past and heading for the line..”

“ AND they are.. DOWN, Ted, and by my watch, that qualifies them for the next round.
But ladies & gentlemen , we are STILL waiting for OFFICIAL confirmation.”

“And there it is, Arnie..to scenes of wild celebration, the IRISH are BACK on track..
with a Sub 200 (lbs)..and an official RUN TIME of....198 (lbs)....”

“Well, Ladies & Gentlemen, we wrote JJ & the DCUK, team off,
The stories of the late nights and carousing,

but It looks like THEY are back ….AND THEY are here for the Long haul....
sensational stuff......

….Back to Gabbie, you in London “

---

Post script.
Team passed the drugs testing with an Official measure of 6.1 FBG

NB* All links to Cool runnings are intentional...( link )
One of THE Best, COMEDY films i know of..
Funny, tearful, just inspiring,,excelllent cast, and john candy played to perfection.
can never stop that tear when they reach the end of the track scene

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
SaskiaKC reporting from trackside --

What's that sleigh doing on the track?

CC? ... CC? Come in ...

JJ? Anybody??

(And we're back in 5...4...3...)

Welcome back, lords, ladies, and gentlemen ... and for those of you who have just tuned in, Welcome to the First Annual Deer 'Chase. It's a lovely sunny-foggy day here at Antler Downs and we've got entries from all across the globe. Whitetails from the Appalachians, Mule Deer from the Rockies, and a nice little team from All Fallows ... and ... yes ... it's just been confirmed ... this week's Eights champions, the North Pole Reigndeer!

Over to you, JJ ...

Off-camera and off-mike -- a tip for @DJC3 -- you might want to have a flutter on Team Red Deer from the Highlands ...

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs I figure you're watching the TV screen right now not the computer screen ... but when you check back in here ...

I just turned on my TV to find the Spurs are at Wembley! Now I know why I decided to have 'ham with my French toast and coffee. ;)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs I figure you're watching the TV screen right now not the computer screen ... but when you check back in here ...

I just turned on my TV to find the Spurs are at Wembley! Now I know why I decided to have 'ham with my French toast and coffee. ;)
I am but watching live rugby. Always a big game between Christmas and New Year - great social event to attend. Don't get live football on Saturday afternoon in UK. We (Spurs) need to play home games at Wembley until new stadium passes H an S checks.