Husband with T1 - am I in right place?

lizjt

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone, not sure I’m in the right place as it’s not me that has diabetes, it’s my husband.

He’s 33 and only diagnosed with T1 at age 31 (very big surprise). We’d like to start a family and I’m struggling to find reliable information! I know there’s a chance it can be passed on, that part we’re fine with, but I’ve read about increased risk of miscarriage and birth defects.

Does anyone have anything they can share with me?

Does it matter that they can’t tell him why he has it? No known family history and auto immune test was low. Are there different types of T1?! I read something which suggested a certain type can cause more problems.

Thanks in advance

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, not sure I’m in the right place as it’s not me that has diabetes, it’s my husband.

He’s 33 and only diagnosed with T1 at age 31 (very big surprise). We’d like to start a family and I’m struggling to find reliable information! I know there’s a chance it can be passed on, that part we’re fine with, but I’ve read about increased risk of miscarriage and birth defects.

Does anyone have anything they can share with me?

Does it matter that they can’t tell him why he has it? No known family history and auto immune test was low. Are there different types of T1?! I read something which suggested a certain type can cause more problems.

Thanks in advance
There is LADA, which is Type 1.5. It's just a late onset.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @lizjt ,

Welcome to the forum.

You are indeed "in the right place."

A fair few of us don't realy get told why we are diabetic. The fact is most HCPs haven't got a clue as to the exact cause to a particular patient...? (The question quite often gets asked, & they take their best shot at an answer.)
None the less...
There is a fair amount of diabetics fathering healthy kids with non D partners.
Normally with procreation, it takes two.
Apart from asking regarding your husband's diabetes managment. How is your general health with regards to prep for a family..?

Good luck.

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The risk of miscarriage and birth defects is for diabetic woman carrying baby you should be more at risk of these x

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same.

Reactions: eeb123

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @lizjt
Yes, this is the right place. Regarding starting a family, the good news is that your husband is the diabetic, I know that sounds flippant Is so please stick with me as that issues you mention apply to female diabetic pregnancy not where the father is.
Having said that many of us female t1s have healthy pregnancies and children. My daughter does not have it and none of the diabetic parents that I know in real life have diabetic kids. There is a risk of inheritance, but in my view life is full of risk.
How is your husband taking things and how does he feel about starting a family?

Last edited: