What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Nothing about this post is LCHF but as I feel we are friends on here I may as well be honest.
Honest and moaning post goes like this :
Today has been a write off - had to find emergency dentist in Vegas at 4am for hubby - $750 later and he’s spent all day in bed as the insane concoction of antibiotics, steroids and painkillers have basically knocked him out. So me and my mini-me have walked miles and tried to make the best of the day doing as much as we could, but all with a somewhat disappointed heart to it as not nice when the family holiday ends up with a key member not involved. Not eaten all day as Ellie just wanted snacks along the way (snacks I couldn’t eat) but got back to the room and am mentally and physically exhausted after no sleep last night so room service has been ordered of a pizza for me and Ellie to share. It was a $30 pizza or a $100 steak, which after the dentist bill, well diabetes lost out tonight and I’m not massively sorry. Not going to bother testing BG (got 3 strips left) as I know it’s going to be off the chart. Will test in the morning to see my horrible fbg and will be back on track and eating right too. One fall off the wagon on holiday can’t be the end of the world surely :(

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Enjoy your coffee and I hope the meeting goes well. Is your sister emotionally prepared as well?
I’m experimenting with freezing cream in ice cube trays - when I visit my daughter I often forget to take cream for my coffee and she doesn’t often have it. I wondered if I could freeze it in portion sizes and put in her freezer, then just bung a cube into my coffee. Turns out it separates so you get an unattractive yellow oil on top. I’m wondering if whipping it first would make a difference - anybody tried?

@DJC3 thank you! I didn't know if sis was emotionally prepared, but it turned out she rolled with the punches and all was very well. As to the cream...if it's the consistency of the cream we have here, I'd imagine whipping it with no sugar to hold it together could be disastrous. Have you tried one of your existing cubes in your coffee? It's a brilliant idea to start with! I'll bet if you let it melt in the coffee, and then shook the coffee well....,,,, you'd never know the dairy had been frozen! You have me interested-- I'll freeze a little of my creamery cream, which is simply off the top of the milk as opposed to having mono-and di-glycerides and sodium whoknowswhat added to stabilize as the store cream has. I've had it up to here with plastic dairy containers, so I now buy local milk in good old fashioned glass bottles. Hey, we're made of money, right?:hilarious:
@shelley262 so glad the ordeal is mostly over-- I can imagine how that shower must have restored you!!!! Crossing fingers and toes on the new boiler for you!

Bfast 1/2 avocado, boiled egg, decaf/soy/cream
Went to a restaurant for coffee with some old friends.

Went to another restaurant with Mom, sis, bro, for
Lunch: green salad, pan-seared flounder with wilted spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and (didn't eat the) pea puree garnish.
Supper was extended. Feeling very unfocused, I at enough mixed nuts to get me through several articles in the Wall Street Journal. Then celery, tomatoes, lots'o'greens wilted in olive oil, balsamic vinegar and roasted garlic powder, finished with a little skyr and parmesan cheese grates.
I definitely only needed supper for its fiber, and fat content for a medication. I am now unpleasantly stuffed, and will have challenges again at lunch tomorrow as it's potluck lunch at church.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Nothing about this post is LCHF but as I feel we are friends on here I may as well be honest.
Today has been a write off - had to find emergency dentist in Vegas at 4am for hubby - $750 later and he’s spent all day in bed as the insane concoction of antibiotics, steroids and painkillers have basically knocked him out. So me and my mini-me have walked miles and tried to make the best of the day doing as much as we could, but all with a somewhat disappointed heart to it as not nice when the family holiday ends up with a key member not involved. Not eaten all day as Ellie just wanted snacks along the way (snacks I couldn’t eat) but got back to the room and am mentally and physically exhausted after no sleep last night so room service has been ordered of a pizza for me and Ellie to share. It was a $30 pizza or a $100 steak, which after the dentist bill, well diabetes lost out tonight and I’m not massively sorry. Not going to bother testing BG (got 3 strips left) as I know it’s going to be off the chart. Will test in the morning to see my horrible fbg and will be back on track and eating right too. One fall off the wagon on holiday can’t be the end of the world surely :(

What a horrible day and exactly right with the food - one fall off the wagon is not the end of the world. Do hope hubby feels better and you are able to enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Reactions: zauberflote

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope things improve soon. Not easy when things go wrong on holiday and in such a costly way. You’ve been doing so well I’m certain one pizza will make no difference at all to you it’s the continued repeat stuff that changes things! Take care and let’s hope All those meds and pricey treatment does the job.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
- Crisped up small pieces of bacon to use as scoops with some sort of low carb dip?
- Smoked salmon parcels?
- Mini pigs in blankets with suitable sausages?

All good ideas thank you, although I think I OD’d on pigs in blankets at Christmas so might not do them!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black Porkies! Loved them. You can also do them with haggis. I soften down chopped onion in butter then mix the onion with parsley and the sausage meat/black pudding or sausage meat/haggis and then made cocktail sized sausage rolls. Beaten egg to bind the mix. I'd tend now to increase the sausage meat content.
Still on the subject of sausage meat you could make mini Scotch eggs with quail eggs ( swine to peel) , wrap in sausage meat and use the LC crumb mix of almond flour, parmesan, sesame seeds and season.
Do chicken strips the same way with the crunchy crumb and serve with a LC dip.
If you have mini molds - make bacon cups with rolled out streaky bacon. Beat up eggs and add grated cheese, cream and season. Cook chopped up bits - peppers, mushroom, tomato - whatever. Add a little to each cup then top up with the beaten egg mix and bake - delicious cold or warm.
Salami crisps. Chorizo crisps. Also going to do courgette crisps to make use of my new processor. Trick with them is to dry them on kitchen towel before salting and oiling them. Then let them dry out on a baking tray on greaseproof in the oven. Just keep an eye on them.
Devilled eggs.
Strawberries dipped in dark chocolate.
Fat bombs - loads of flavours.

Loads here too. There's a variation on the mini bacon cup filling it with guacamole. The stuffed mini peppers are good and don't forget either lo dough or fat head pizza.

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/best-low-carb-snacks/

Wow brilliant! I’d better get cracking thank you.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not going to bother testing BG (got 3 strips left) as I know it’s going to be off the chart. Will test in the morning to see my horrible fbg and will be back on track and eating right too.
That was the perfect call in a no win situation. Hope the treatment works for your husband and maybe no more testing till safely home. Surely all you will learn by testing is stressful situations and abnormal food choices mess up bg readings - which you knew already.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What a horrible start to your holiday! I hope the antibiotics kick in and you can all start to enjoy it soon. Forget about the pizza - sometimes life throws a spanner in the works.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Emma_369 , one fall shouldn't make much of a dent in the long term plan. Sorry your holiday plan has gone awry. Horrible having tooth pain on hols. Hope he recovers quickly, and you can recoup some of the cost from insurance. Enjoy rest of break, and BG management should get back on track in no time.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your kind words @Goonergal @shelley262 @Brunneria @DJC3 @ianpspurs @Pipp @jjraak
Felt a little silly this morning at the need to offload on you all - think I forget this forum isn’t my own diary sometimes :) anyway thought I’d just report that although his face is swollen, Mike says he’s in less pain so our last full day & night in Vegas will be spent as a family :D Will pop back tonight with my days meals which I know will be back on track

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mea culpa - I appreciate this tweet is right off-topic, but it didn't half make me smile....

upload_2018-12-30_16-50-10.png

I'll be a while. I need to chastise myself, severely. :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Had a bit if an odd day foodwise as I didn’t wake up til nearly 10 so haven’t really caught up.
Breakfast/ brunch: smoked salmon, avocado and a scrambled egg. Coffee&cream and a few cups of tea with almond milk.
Babysitting at daughters this afternoon while they went furniture shopping. I was going to stay there this evening but I couldn’t cope with the frankly atrocious smell emanating from one of the dogs periodically! Think it was Huxley as he had managed to wolf down 9 of the dozen eggs in daughter’s Asda delivery earlier on before he was spotted. Decided to make my excuses and beat a hasty retreat.
Hungry when I got home, and annoyingly I just grazed rather than doing a proper meal so now I feel cheated. A bit of leftover crustless quiche, a few lc seedy crackers with pate, a chocolate coconut bite, a small slither of HC yule log.
Waste of a mealtime but at least not over carby.

@Emma_369 I’m glad things are a bit better today and you can enjoy the rest of your hols together.