Cyber bullies.

C

catherinecherub

Cyber Bullies are in the news today as children are being targeted on their mobiles and on the Internet. It is not only children that get targeted there are some sad adults as well who resort to this practice.

Adult bullies are unable to cope with their own lives and problems and are jealous and inadequate and desperate to receive attention. They attempt to discredit those that are more popular, knowledgeable or talented and better educated. They wish to appear superior and will always insist that others attacked them first.
They are vindictive and manipulative and cannot internalise their own behaviour. They become incensed when someone points out that they are wrong
They are dangerous individuals as they start off by being friendly and once they gain trust then they become increasingly aggressive and hostile. They try and form a group of like minded people who will help them with their tactics and look for weak people. They will even turn on these so called friends especially if they have accumulated personal information about them and will use it to their advantage. They will inflict all the damage they can if they have your address and phone number.

It really makes you realize that it is important not to divulge anything personal to anyone you meet on the Internet. :!: :!:

C

catherinecherub

Thanks for the link phoenix.
I was talking to a policeman friend of mine today. He was telling me that some of these cyber bullies join forums and eventually are banned because their postings get personal, aggressive and rude and are sometimes sexist. They then go on to start blogs where they spew their vile thoughts about the people on the forums they were banned from.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Excellent information and advice Catherinecherub and Phoenix. I too am always telling people to be very careful what personal information they give out on fora.

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
To be honest its not just children that get targeted - I had some weird do who kept sending me texts unfortunately my mobile is fairly public so have had to just turn it off in the evenings and now have a personal one as well. You also get bullies on forums as well .

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Janieb said:
You also get bullies on forums as well .

Very true Janieb. We are always watchful for this sort of activity. We need to stamp it out wherever it happens. I urge members who are troubled by this to pm any moderator and the matter will be dealt with swiftly. Bullies are not tolerated on this forum.

C

catherinecherub

I have resurrected this thread because I have seen on another diabetes forum that there is one particular joker, banned from here, who is belittling this forum and some of it's members.

The pleasure he gets from this must be enormous and he must be a real asset to that forum :lol: :lol: . I know that the admin there told him to stop before but he seems to be a law unto himself. It is such a shame reallly because the majority of the members there seem to ignore his rubbish and get on with using the forum for it's purpose. Glad he is not here anymore spewing his bile and sending nasty p.m.'s to anyone who challenges him.

Does this behaviour constitute cyber bullying?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I thought with recent events in mind it was worthwhile reminding members about Cyber Bullying and it's impact on it's victims, it is often difficult to relate to a issue unless it directly effects you, however I too have been a victim of late and can now relate to the hurt and distress these lie's can do! :(

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
catherine said:
I have resurrected this thread because I have seen on another diabetes forum that there is one particular joker, banned from here, who is belittling this forum and some of it's members.

The pleasure he gets from this must be enormous and he must be a real asset to that forum . I know that the admin there told him to stop before but he seems to be a law unto himself. It is such a shame reallly because the majority of the members there seem to ignore his rubbish and get on with using the forum for it's purpose. Glad he is not here anymore spewing his bile and sending nasty p.m.'s to anyone who challenges him.

What are you doing, catherine? You're bringing it here. I don't know what forum you're talking about (the only other forum I use (LCD) is closed now, right?) or who you are talking about (although I can probably guess...), but there is no need to bring the disruption here...

It cuts both ways, y'know. We've got an opportunity to make this forum great right now, but petty comments on other forums cannot be allowed to penetrate this forum. Their members are not posting it here, you are.

Leave it over there - there's no need to bring it over here. Ignorance really is bliss! :wink:

Peace, love and Ignorance.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Patch said:
catherine said:
What are you doing, catherine?

I might ask the same question of you Patch! :?

You'll notice Catherine last posted on this subject on 31/5/2010 when again there was outside forces trying to dictate how this forum should be run, it was I who resurrected this thread.

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Gonna have to hold my hands up here - I didn't realise that Catherine hadn't posted since 2010. :oops:

Apologies for that.

I still firmly believe that we should leave what happens outside of this forum outside of this forum, though.

C

catherinecherub

Patch,
Having decided to reopen this thread, do you feel that might bring attention to it again? :?: :roll:

Nigel posted when feelings were running high about what was happening elsewhere to try and discredit this forum and the site owners. If you are not on the receiving end of comments elsewhere you cannot begin to understand how it feels. Several people constantly mentioned and belittled are a great asset to this forum and offer support for everyone regardless of their dietary habits.

I will defend anyone's right to manage their diabetes as they see fit. I will never defend anyone who belittles and verbally attacks people who do not use the same method as they do.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Ignorance is bliss........

Tell that to the people who are targeted repeatedly by a person who apparently shouldn't be named here, despite the fact that he ridicules several of this forums members in his vindictive blog. Nothing more than a cyber bully and an idiot. There are many on the Net usually posting from an American site where it is difficult to take legal action against the perpetrators.

I am sure that the new administrator will take action if members report any abusive PM's to him......

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This forum is MUCH more credible than the blogs/forums where the malicous posts are coming from, and I don't think we should even acknowledge them here. Like I said - they're not bringing the fight to us here at Diabetes.co.uk, we're bringing the fight to ourselves!

None of us would do that in real life.

We add credibility to their posts by acknowledging them.

Just ignore 'em.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
For two years we very successfully ignored them. We had an unofficial rule that no comment about comments made elsewhere would be allowed on the Board. Then that blog link was posted and against Forum rules, was allowed to stay. ......the rest as they say , is history. ! Just ignore them, they are not worthy of comment on this Forum.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I don't think anyone would find it easy to argue that this exchange is in anyway edifying or useful, but I think it is slightly rich that Ken and Sue don't 'express an interest' here.

It was after all comments on Eddie's blog that were read and followed up by Benedict which directly resulted in them being stripped of their monitor's titles wasn't it? So, obviously they will have opinions about that site.

Personally I think Eddie is entertaining and informative at best, and goes over the top now and then at worst, he also posts some rather good low carb recipes. He's certainly no 'great satan' to be feared and fretted about on here!

Dillinger

ally5555

Hi
I just do not get these blogs - seems to me they are a place for people to live in an unreal world - probably because they would not get the time of day any where else.!

Best ignored - that is what I do!

Ally

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Al (Dillinger)
See you haven't lost your sense of humour while you have been away !

Eddie - 'entertaining and informative' ? We are talking about the same guy who nearly bought this forum to it's knees and then went on to destroy the Low Carb forum that David/Doczoc set up ?

History rewritten I think .......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
ally5555 said:
Hi
I just do not get these blogs - seems to me they are a place for people to live in an unreal world - probably because they would not get the time of day any where else.!

Best ignored - that is what I do!

Ally

Hi Ally
Yep I have been ignoring the idiots for some time now. As ypu say, the best policy.

Still here, sorry to disappoint some ! I have actually been on holiday for the last few weeks, still having an extended break. Just popping in from time to time.

Hope you and yours are keeping well too.

Ken XX

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
The main problem with blogs is that unlike forums where everything thats said can be challenged blogs can allow some nasty little cybernaughts to mock people from a distance and even libel those who disagree with their views and remain unchallenged.

I'm certain that some bloggers would not dare to say what they publish in their blogs to the faces of those they mock, a blog can be a very cowardly place to hide, dont you think? Or they could just be the last desperate rantings of those who have lost the right to debate rationally with others through being banned from the forums of their peers?