Diabetes.co.uk dietary advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The Forum quite often does not agree with the advice on the main DCUK site.

We on the Forum offer no numbers here, just to lower carbohydrates to a level that helps you control your Diabetes.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is much controversy regarding what diet to recommend to sufferers of diabetes mellitus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetic_diet ... a good summary of the various views.
I'm sure some members would be horrified at this one: 70% of diet as carbohydrates with very little fat and fairly low, though adequate protein. This is the type of diet devsed by Viswanathan, an eminent diabetologist working in a hospital in South India. This diet was successfully used for many decades. It's actually a very high fibre (52g a day)/high carb diet. It is lacto-vegetarian and contains lots of lentils) .Improvements in fasting BG, on OGT tests and lowered insulin responses are evidence of a lowering of insulin resistance. They started experimenting back in 1958 when they realised that the standard diet of the day with 30% carbs was very difficult fo their population to stick to. It worked, I suspect most of us (OK me) would find that diet very hard to stick to.

The diets suggested on the main pages of this forum are probably derived from official guidance. If you want to read some of the evidence for this sort of level of carbs you can find it in this paper from the European Association for the Study of Diabetes:
http://www.dnsg-easd.org/info/general/D ... /guida.pdf

Ottermoon

Thank you, sue and Phoenix, for the answers to my question. I'm trying to understand why Eddie Mitchell would say the things he does about this forum and Diabetes UK, that the recommended diets are dangerous to the health of diabetics. Yes, I can see that the diets recommended by Diabetes UK seem to contravene established evidence, and that such a diet might indeed be harmful to one's health.

The forums have lots of people with personal experience of diets that actually help a diabetic control their Bg.

I think it would be helpful to hear from the official Diabetes UK man here (is it Benedict?) about how his organisation reconciles the advice it publishes with the modern evidence that high carb diets lead to the very complications we're working hard to avoid!

The study cited looks good and I shall read it. Thanks for the link.

Ottermoon

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Ottermoon said:
Thank you, sue and Phoenix, for the answers to my question. I'm trying to understand why Eddie Mitchell would say the things he does about this forum and Diabetes UK, that the recommended diets are dangerous to the health of diabetics. Yes, I can see that the diets recommended by Diabetes UK seem to contravene established evidence, and that such a diet might indeed be harmful to one's health.

Ottermoon

Some people seem to think that non-diabetic BG levels must be around 5mmol before and after meals, which of course, as we know, is a load of BS. They are also 100% sure that diabetes run the risk of complications if their a1c levels are higher than 5% mmol, which we also know that is a load of BS.

I personally have tested every member of my family and some friends as well whom are all non-diabetics and their BG levels after meals were ALL in the 6s, 7s and some were even in the 's which proves to me that those who claim that we must at all times have BGs in the 5's either don't know what they are talking about or are deliberately scaring people to......whatever, God only knows what or why.

Personally I don't take any notice of these people, I know what's best for me. I follow my own diet and eat the foods my meter says "yeah, that was ok, you can eat that", that includes anything and everything except for the obvious sugary staff like chocolates, sweets etc.

Well, I guess I have given some person/s the excuse to write another "article" in his/her/their blog/s as has happened before. If I carry on like this I'll be famous, for all the wrong reasons of course. :mrgreen: :lol: :roll:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ka-mon
Welcome to the club. If it keeps the personal comment happy and takes the heat of me ........what the hell !

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
cugila said:
Ka-mon
Welcome to the club. If it keeps the personal comment happy and takes the heat of me ........what the hell !

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Will I get a BAFTA or summing for it? :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ka-mon
Nah mate ! Just the satisfaction that you getting up the idiot and his tiny fan club's nose ! :twisted:

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

cugila said:
Ka-mon
Nah mate ! Just the satisfaction that you getting up the idiot and his tiny fan club's nose ! :twisted:

"I can't get no satisfaction" by going up someones nose, could be very messy up there. yarrrgghh. :lol:

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

Looks like I am famous already. :lol:

"The new member Ka-Mon joins the ranks of those dangerous to newly diagnosed diabetics."

Why, because I am fortunate enough to eat whatever I like or because someone is very jealous because I am fortunate enough to eat whatever I like? (Try saying that when you've had a few glasses of the Red :lol: )

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Ka-mon
Keep posting and you will see the personal comment target you and keep copies of all your posts to refer to. After a couple of years you get used to it ! There is definitely something wrong with the personal comment's brain. He sees himself as some sort of carb warrior - if you don't do things his way, you are the enemy !

A couple of years ago the decIsion was taken to keep all reference to him from posts here, drawing a line. He was then ignored mainly. However we are now under new management and apparently we can all sing his praIses - or not, as the case may be !

Guess which group I belong to .......???

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

cugila said:
Ka-mon
Keep posting and you will see the personal comment target you and keep copies of all your posts to refer to. After a couple of years you get used to it !

Glad to know that actually, cause if I lose the copies of my posts I can ask him to email them to me. :lol:

There is definitely something wrong with the personal comment's brain. He sees himself as some sort of carb warrior - if you don't do things his way, you are the enemy !

As long as I am a "cyber enemy" and the person I am the enemy to doesn't live next to me, I feel safe. LOL

By the way, is that a "carb warrior" or a "behind the keyboard I feel safe type of cyber warrior"?

A couple of years ago the decIsion was taken to keep all reference to him from posts here, drawing a line. He was then ignored mainly. However we are now under new management and apparently we can all sing his praIses - or not, as the case may be !

Time will tell I guess.

Guess which group I belong to .......???

Probably the same as me and not the same as him. :wink:

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

"Anonymous said...

Is Ka-mon Kens son ? "

Hey daddy, you out there?

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 2,733

ally5555

Hi
Ka mon - I reckon a pysch could write a book on what is happening right now. They are also able to tell you who wrote anonymous posts - way off the mark I am afraid.

The whole thing is getting a bit tedious he and his imaginary friends are loosing the plot I think!

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

ally5555 said:
Hi
Ka mon - I reckon a pysch could write a book on what is happening right now. They are also able to tell you who wrote anonymous posts - way off the mark I am afraid.

The whole thing is getting a bit tedious he and his imaginary friends are loosing the plot I think!

What makes us laugh keeps our spirits up and takes our minds off of other things. As long as it doesn't bleed into this forum and get everyone arguing with each other, it's good fun.

josie38

IT HAS BEEN DECIDED TO LOCK THIS TOPIC. IF YOU WISH TO CONTINUE THIS DISCUSION PLEASE DO SO BY PM'S

THANKYOU

Status
Not open for further replies.