Not losing weight from vegan diet. tips?

SylviaJ

Hi @SylviaJ sorry your query hasnt had many replies, sometimes new posts get missed, please do repost a question if that happens again.
I dont know if you are T1 or T2, I can only offer my own experience (diet controlled - never been on diabetic mediation), how much protein are you eating? It might be too much, have you tried cutting it down and seeing if that helps with weight loss?
Have you tried weighing, measuring and counting every scrap of carbohydrate you are consuming in food and drinks?
Are you eating to your meter? I test every new food a few times before i can safely assume it wont raise my BG levels. It can be a little more difficult as a low carb veggie, but not impossible. I eat eggs, tofu, avocado, cream and cheese with lots of low carb veggies. I have to ensure I keep my fat intake high enough to not loose weight. Eating tubs of clotted cream with a few berries!

Diet doctor website has some great veggie recipes.
Thank you so much. Will take a look at the site you recommended!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your interest in my post. I am getting desperate to know why I am not losing weight. What I eat is written down and checked by a nutritionist. I eat eggs, cheese, salad, avocado, berries, all green veg, Greek yoghurt with seeds and nuts mainly. I am a vegetarian for moral reasons. I am trying to increase my egg intake to two a day. I drink a little milk, but as I don’t drink tea, coffee or alcohol I get a bit fed up with orange squash. Any thoughts much appreciated.
Are you restricting calories? Any idea how many you are eating a day? Doesn't sound like you are having much....

SylviaJ

Are you restricting calories? Any idea how many you are eating a day? Doesn't sound like you are having much....
Sorry bulkbiker...I didn’t get your full message. It doesn’t sound like I am having much what?? I’ve just gotten carb manager, but just a thought...does being on thyroxine have a bearing on not losing weight (under active thyroid, on 75 thyroxine a day) thanks!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry bulkbiker...I didn’t get your full message. It doesn’t sound like I am having much what?? I’ve just gotten carb manager, but just a thought...does being on thyroxine have a bearing on not losing weight (under active thyroid, on 75 thyroxine a day) thanks!!
I just wondered exactly how much you are eating? Are you restriciting calories as this can often lead to weigh loss stalls once the body becomes acclimatised to lower intake.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes.
An underactive thyroid is notorious for causeg weight gain and preventing weight loss.
Have you had your thyroid medication reviewed by your doc lately? It may need tweaking.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey,

I went from low carb diet (rice, potato, bread, chicken) to a vegan diet 2 months ago. Mostly because i want to get better blood sugar controls and lose weight.

This doesn’t sound at all like you’ve tried low carb prior to the vegan diet. Rice potato and bread are some of the highest carb foods around. Perhaps you could try it again but actually be low carb before giving up on it. There are numerous websites, including posting on here, that will help you work out what is really low carb and what isn’t. Dietdoctor.com has pages of lists of each food groups showing relative carb values.