Beta blockers

donnac1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am having some tests for angina and in the meantime have been prescribed beta blockers to slow my heart rate down.
Do they have an effect on glucose levels only I’ve been struggling to keep them down. It could be overindulging at Christmas too but just wondered.
Thanks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am having some tests for angina and in the meantime have been prescribed beta blockers to slow my heart rate down.
Do they have an effect on glucose levels only I’ve been struggling to keep them down. It could be overindulging at Christmas too but just wondered.
Thanks.

Some do and some don't. Certainly Atenolol do. They can cause hypos and hypers. Some can also cause lowered HDL (good cholesterol) and increase LDL (the not so good cholesterol). Atenolol is not recommended for diabetics.

https://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=x20120516081816351223

https://www.diabetesselfmanagement....ement/drugs-that-can-worsen-diabetes-control/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6873132

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Following aortic heart valve replacement in May, I've been on Bisoprolol 2.5 mg daily. Whilst it had other side effects, I never noticed higher BS.
It appears it can mask the symptoms of a hypo, so monitoring BS levels more would be advisable.I still retain hypo awareness.
Geoff

D

Deleted member 308541

I take 2 x 10 mg of Bisoprolol and 2 x 50 mg Flecainide (Tambocor) daily, they do not seem to cause any real increase as I take them at mealtimes.

donnac1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m on Bisoprolol 1.25mg twice a day.
Have to take a higher dose for 3 days before a heart CT on 15th January to get heart rate down to 50-60 on the day. Usually 80-90!!!!

Thanx for the replies. It’s obviously my overindulgence after all

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m on Bisoprolol 1.25mg twice a day.
Have to take a higher dose for 3 days before a heart CT on 15th January to get heart rate down to 50-60 on the day. Usually 80-90!!!!

Thanx for the replies. It’s obviously my overindulgence after all

Good luck with your scan. Why is your heart rate too high between 80 and 90? The normal range is 60 to 100 resting. Or is it because it may affect your scan? I'm only asking because mine is often in the 80s. My GP says this is fine and normal for me. I don't have any other issues.

donnac1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck with your scan. Why is your heart rate too high between 80 and 90? The normal range is 60 to 100 resting. Or is it because it may affect your scan? I'm only asking because mine is often in the 80s. My GP says this is fine and normal for me. I don't have any other issues.

I’m pretty unfit so 80-90 is normal for me. No problem there. But it has to be slow for the scan. Don’t know why.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m pretty unfit so 80-90 is normal for me. No problem there. But it has to be slow for the scan. Don’t know why.

Mine has always been 80 to 90 according to my machine, but when the nurse takes it, it is in the 70's. She does it by hand.

D

Deleted member 308541

I had a echo cardiogram done nearly five years ago, and my heart rate zoomed up to 160+, the woman doing the scan was saying "don't go there, don't go there" as I started turning blue.

I ended up in hospital the same day with AFib, I managed to hit 180 when I was changing my underpants, which caused a bit of a panic with the staff on duty.

I have a SPO2 of 90% and 71 hr at present just after breakfast.